RMMV Viridescent Dragon RPG -Demo- Feedback

Discussion in 'Ideas and Prototypes' started by Viridea, Apr 29, 2018.

1. Viridea

Viridea Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Viridescent Dragon RPG -Demo-

Hi everybody! For a bit of background, I worked a bit with RPG Maker VX Ace and MV in the past only to leave projects unfinished. I want to try to change that by making this game. It's not trying to be the best RPG maker game in the world but I would like for it to stand out. I just started working on this about a week ago. I'm not very good at mapping or animating or creating battle formulas and I'm basically a newbie at writing stories (I don't think I'm a horrible writer either). I consider myself more of an artist but I haven't drawn anything specifically for this game as of yet. I do not know how to make my own sprite art, and I'm kind of lacking in funds for too many expensive resources (Which is why I try to stick to free and open source resources).

I would like some feedback on my game demo. How is the dialogue? Are there any obvious bugs? (I can think of one right now I forgot to fix but ah well...) How is my mapping? Also, will my using RTP sprites make or break my game as it is now? (I'm familiar with Parallax mapping but never tried it myself.) Finally, would it be better for me to create monsters? If so, how many? (You can only go so far recoloring RTP monsters...)

I know this is a lot, but any feedback is appreciated! I'm not looking to make a super long game, but I hope it will be fun and memorable at the least. By the way, yes this is just me working on the game. I know that's a huge task ahead of me to make this game alone but I won't feel alone if you guys can support me. :) Thanks a bunch!

SECTION A: GAMEPLAY MECHANICS

• Not very developed, but basic turn-based rpg. I would like to add elements like a hunger system or something, and customize the TP bar for other kinds of skills. So far my game has two types of skills: Magic and Energy.

SECTION B: CHARACTERS

• I may have about 10-20 important characters in my game so far, but only 4 party members in total as of yet. That number might increase. I don't know if it would be appropriate to link to other sites but I am working on a visual novel, called Viridescent Dragon, as well. This game is pretty much an RPG version of it but a little tweaked. Also the character portraits are placeholders. I plan on drawing out all their faces at least.

Party Members:

Charlotte: grumpy, always hungry, usually doesn't let things bother her, prudish (Weapons: Dual wielded daggers)

Seleste Lafayette: Traveling magician, naive, self-centered, vegan (Weapon: Wand)

(Not included yet) Dawn Ngo: Flirty, is an amputee (right arm), was a soldier in the last Great Nation War, single mother (Weapon: Two-Handed Sword that she uses with one hand)

(Not included yet) Alexander DeChevalier: Prince of Viole, very stiff and strict, but gets flustered easily (Weapon: Gunblade)

SECTION C: STORYLINE/PLOT

• The story so far: There are two major sources of power, magic and energy. People who use Magic are called Mages and their Magic comes from their Soul. The people who use Energy are called Ergons and their Energy comes from the Spirit. It's pretty much a conflict between these two kinds of beings (Some humans, Faeries Lycans, Vampires and other Beastfolk are the general races). There are five nations, Viole, Laseaux Faeroire, Kreuz and Ku'ong. They participated in several wars (Great Nation Wars throughout the centuries and recently had a truce for about 20 years or so. Things are getting more tense as of late due to one of the nations, Viole, becoming too powerful so there is a threat of another GNW. The Protagonist is technically Charlotte and Seleste and they meet others along the way. Charlotte is trying to regain her memories and Seleste is a mysterious travelling mage whose motives are unknown.

SECTION D: SETTING AND/OR WORLD DEVELOPMENT

• The world is named Latiaire.

Viole is your standard European style kingdom. I'm thinking a bit French and German inspired with a bit of Britain? They're surrounded by forests and mountains. They worship the Legendary Hero-God, Fraener. Symbol is Tiger Lily, national color is Violet and national animal is a white tiger. Ruled by DeChevalier lineage.

Laseaux is a prepetually snowy country. They worship a wolf deity and they're allies with Viole. Ruled by Celine de Luna family.

Faeroire is the main rival nation of Viole. They are a vast, green landscape full of Faeries and other creatures. They're pretty much all Mages and they try to be peaceful. National Language is Faeode

Kreuz is a close ally to Faeroire. Their people are also Mages but they mostly practice necromancy. Always dark. Worship a raven deity. People tend to be intellectuals who keep to themselves.

Ku'ong is an Asia-inspired country that's a neutral party. Their people are mostly Beastfolk, and their land is usually sought afer for resources. They're not as technologically advanced as other nations but they don't mind defending their land. Very picky with whom they associate with. Leader is a chieftain.

I will say there is also a Lost Continent of Tiamatica where a Sea Witch resides (Basically a giant Mermaid that eats people). There is a group of Pirates that call her their nemesis and only want money. Mostly underwater, hard to locate.

There is also a major chain of hospitals, ReBirth Hospitals. They're pretty important and influential in the Violean Government

The Ruby Pirates, ruled by 3 siblings. Ruby is the Ruler of the "Mal-de-Mer"

IMAGES/SCREENSHOTS
    Screenshot 2018-04-27 08.04.04.png
    Regalburg Bank Inside
    Screenshot 2018-04-29 01.26.53.png
    Battle Screen
    Screenshot 2018-04-29 01.27.28.png
    Fraener Woods
    Screenshot 2018-04-29 01.29.17.png
    West Viole Overworld
    Screenshot 2018-04-29 01.48.59.png
    Regalburg Bank Inside
    Screenshot 2018-04-29 01.50.39.png
    West Laseaux Overworld
    Screenshot 2018-04-27 08.03.07.png
    Regalburg

DOWNLOAD LINK
    I only uploaded the demo to itch.io for those who would like to try it out.

https://viridea.itch.io/viridescent-dragon-rpg-demo

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  2. DianteC

DianteC Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Sorry, I couldn't access the demo. When I attempted to run the exe file it bugged out.

3. Viridea

Viridea Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm sorry I'm in the process of fixing that now. I'm uploading a .zip file now. Then I'll test it from the download page. Thanks for letting me know!

EDIT: It should be up and running now. Thanks for your patience!

Last edited: May 3, 2018
  4. DianteC

DianteC Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Awesome

5. swolfie

swolfie Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've found some bugs
    After escaping the cave if you ever go back in when you try to leave again it sends you on top of the hole to the cave.
    making it impossible to leave the cave.
    the pub sign door in the first city does the animation as if you are going in but you just stay on the same map

6. Viridea

Viridea Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Alright, thank you so much! I have been having issues with making that door a seperate event than the one in the intro scene. I'll try to fix it. And as for the signs thank you very much. I'll definitely look into that. I only have one door that works in the town so far so I need to fix the other houses as well. I really appreciate your feedback!

7. Benny Jackdaw

Benny Jackdaw Ratty! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    You mentioned Beastfolk? If there was a playable Beastfolk, that would instantly pique my interest. ...Though, by Beastfolk, do you mean anthros or something more creative, or do you mean just humans with animal ears, tails and noses? I'd be much more interested if the former was playable.