RMMV VISITOR - The Psychological Horror (Trailer Launch)

BANJOPC

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Visitor Banner.png
Version 1.00.0

Visitor is a survival horror game written and developed by myself and to be published under CRAZY KID productions. The game was inspired by the well known game franchise Silent Hill and more uncommonly Charon's TAUT, an RPG MAKER horror game created in the mid 2000's.​

Plot
Visitor is set in the fictional Antler's Hotel in Texas during the mid 1970's era. Lead protagonist Alex Marshall wakes up to find a letter from his wife that she has gone to the next town and will be back later. Soon realising that his wife is missing, he goes to search for her only to discover that there is a paranormal entity haunting him.​

"My dearest Alex,
I'm sorry I had to leave so early, I miss you so much already.
I'll meet you back at the hotel later this afternoon.
I hope you're not mad at me for ruining our weekend together.
Maybe tonight we can go to Inn on the Lake, you know,
where we first met.
I love you so much,
Sarah."

Whilst exploring the hotel, Alex soon realises that every door and corner takes him into the visitor's supernatural world in which it takes many forms. Alex meets various characters who he tries to help along the way while pursuing his search for his wife Sarah.​

As Alex steps deeper into this paranormal world he is taunted by the entity about Sarah to which Alex believes she may have been killed. The rotting and decay of the once establish and popular hotel quickly becomes a bizarre 'hell on earth' playground for the supernatural to feed off the suffering of it's inhabitants.​

Gameplay

Gameplay in Visitor is strange and involves the character finding the most important feature of the game, the lighter. Many of the environments become engrossed with darkness where the lighter becomes the only source of light. With limited fuel, Alex must wonder the hotel in search for more to ensure that the darkness does not enclose him to be taken by the entity. Alex finds many helpful items during his search for Sarah which can often be specific to progressing further in the game.​

During stages of the game the hotel changes into a paranormal world following the sound of old church bells and all electrical power sources cutting out. Alex must often find ways to escape the paranormal dimension or find ways of defending himself against the entity which usually involve a temporary deterrent to bide time.​

Of the few characters in the game, they are often quite supportive or very story driven to aide Alex in completing the game.​

Screenshots

Visitor_Titlescreen.png

Car_Screenshot.png

Screenshot 1.png

Screenshot 5.png

Screenshot 6.png

Screenshot 7.png

Screenshot 8.png

Gameplay Trailer

1st July 2020.

Developers Notes

I am currently working on a playable teaser which I anticipate releasing in by the end of August. The PT will have around 15 minutes of play time which will introduce the gameplay and the atmospheric experience. The full game will be in the region of 2 hours of playtime.​

I have written a story for Alex and another character which, assuming this game is enjoyable by the target audience, I will develop and release.​

The game still requires heavy graphical additions specifically relating to sprite animations. This is what is currently holding up the release of the trailer and subsequently, the playable teaser. I endeavour to get these animations complete over June to meet my target dates.​

Updated: 30.05.2020
1. Official launch trailer added.

Attachments

Last edited:

BANJOPC

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Updated: 30.05.2020

Official launch trailer added.

BANJOPC

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Updated: 12.06.2020

1. Weekly update to confirm the development of the playable demo is on track for August with a provisional release date of the 1st August 2020.

2. The beta of the demo will be available to play on the 1st July for up to 5 testers and I will be accepting through this thread. This gives sufficient time for bugs to be fixed. To sign up, drop a reply or PM me and we can discuss.

3. Further graphical enhancements are still required and would welcome any sprite artists who wish to support this project. PM me for further details.

Pearl484

Sweetly Spiked Flower
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I know it's a horror game, so darkness and low visibility are a common element, but, I can barely see anything but the white text in your screen shots. One of your screenshots looks like it has a flashlight feature. Perhaps you could brighten it slightly?

BANJOPC

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I know it's a horror game, so darkness and low visibility are a common element, but, I can barely see anything but the white text in your screen shots. One of your screenshots looks like it has a flashlight feature. Perhaps you could brighten it slightly?
Hi Pearl,

That's strange that you're struggling to see anything, have you tried clicking on the screenshots to make them full screen on your PC? What device are you looking at them on?

The game is as visible as intended

Pearl484

Sweetly Spiked Flower
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm looking at my computer screen. I'm using a windows laptop. I've looked at them full-screen. I can make out details if I try, but I just noticed that it is VERY dark. I get that darkness and low visibility in horror games is usually a must, (especially since it allows the user's imagination to help add to the horror), my only worry is that the darkness is so strong that it may affect game play and increase player frustration instead of player tension as you expect. (Basically, it may inspire more frustration than fear, confusion, or suspense).

Of course, in your case, as you are in a rpg maker with more pixel-y forms than say in comparison Amnesia, your already playing with a slight loss of clarity since players can't look inside of objects and must rely on your text descriptions for a lot of description and, unless you want to go and pay hundreds of dollars for custom animations or use some kind of workaround, you're probably going to use text to convey at least some scenes.

Because of these elements, most rpg maker horror games I've seen tends to focus less on low visibility and more on "psychological aspects" such as erratic behavior of those around you, objects with unusual descriptions, the environment being unsettling, or other things that rely less on visual cues and more on your mind saying "something's not right here".

That's not to say they maintain the usual rpg maker chipper lighting. In fact, their lighting is usually dimmer and dirtier looking than most rpg maker games to help add to the mood and add to lower visibility. I only fear your darkness setting may strain the eyes too much over long periods of time.

Unless you've done something crazy, it should be an easy thing to adjust and have a few play-testers test to see which setting works best to suit the mood. If you don't want to change it, that's fine. It was just something I saw on your screenshots that you may want to have play-testers test further.

That being said, from your screenshots, I can say you do a good job of conveying claustrophobia. And you seem to have a minimalist style of writing that can work well in some settings.

BANJOPC

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm looking at my computer screen. I'm using a windows laptop. I've looked at them full-screen. I can make out details if I try, but I just noticed that it is VERY dark. I get that darkness and low visibility in horror games is usually a must, (especially since it allows the user's imagination to help add to the horror), my only worry is that the darkness is so strong that it may affect game play and increase player frustration instead of player tension as you expect. (Basically, it may inspire more frustration than fear, confusion, or suspense).

Of course, in your case, as you are in a rpg maker with more pixel-y forms than say in comparison Amnesia, your already playing with a slight loss of clarity since players can't look inside of objects and must rely on your text descriptions for a lot of description and, unless you want to go and pay hundreds of dollars for custom animations or use some kind of workaround, you're probably going to use text to convey at least some scenes.

Because of these elements, most rpg maker horror games I've seen tends to focus less on low visibility and more on "psychological aspects" such as erratic behavior of those around you, objects with unusual descriptions, the environment being unsettling, or other things that rely less on visual cues and more on your mind saying "something's not right here".

That's not to say they maintain the usual rpg maker chipper lighting. In fact, their lighting is usually dimmer and dirtier looking than most rpg maker games to help add to the mood and add to lower visibility. I only fear your darkness setting may strain the eyes too much over long periods of time.

Unless you've done something crazy, it should be an easy thing to adjust and have a few play-testers test to see which setting works best to suit the mood. If you don't want to change it, that's fine. It was just something I saw on your screenshots that you may want to have play-testers test further.

That being said, from your screenshots, I can say you do a good job of conveying claustrophobia. And you seem to have a minimalist style of writing that can work well in some settings.

I really appreciate the time and effort you've taken in your critique. This is something I will ensure that the play testers comment on during their experience on the game.

As you finished on, the idea of claustrophobia isn't technically the aim however, with limited visibility this generally is the outcome. The main purpose of the mechanic is that the visitor will appear within the 'lit' area and scare the player forcing them to run.

While the whole general atmosphere is to be dark and dingy. On the last clip of the trailer there is a forest scene, which is brighter as it's daylight. However, I aimed to maintain a foggy 'silent hill' type atmostphere.

Thank you and I will review this in line with play testers responses.

BANJOPC

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Update 20.06.20

Screenshots (Added)

Visitor_Titlescreen.png

Car_Screenshot.png

Play-testers

Just another call out for any willing play testers as I unfortunately haven't had any responses as of yet.
Would be much appreciated if I could get a few lined up to avoid delaying the release of the game.

Thanks!

ex0rc1sm

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey there, I'd be keen to playtest!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Ami
--- Diary ---

M.Mage: It's the F.Mage's Diary. While she isn't here,i can read it.

May, 10: I'm hurt after the battle with the Minotaur. But luckily,F.Healer heal me with her Heal-2. That why,i Fall in Love with her.

M.Mage: Eh???
So... some of my Desktop hardware has kicked it apparently (still trying to figure out what and how at the moment :/ ) .... yay?
Stream will be live shortly with some Darkest Dungeon! Feel free to drop by!
Made a HUGE (YYOOOOJJ) Update to Monstructs and moving towards a Steam Early Access release!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Animalblack