Visual Automatic Actor Stats Table With Corresponding Monster Stats Table

Discussion in 'Non-Maker Specific Tutorials' started by Cjdgame, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Cjdgame

Cjdgame The Azure Falcon Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I don't know about anyone else, but I'm a very visual worker. I need to be able to see the information at hand to be able to work with it, especially with RPG Maker where I need to base other things stats based on a classes stats. Because of this, I decided that the only real way for me to do this was create a formula to determine what the value of the stat was per given level. To do this, I used the formula for a line (y=mx+ b...only in convoluted excel fashion. On top of this, after reading Garler's "Making a Balanced Game" http://www.rpgmakervxace.net/topic/4933-making-a-balanced-game/ I decided it'd only make sense to include formulas on determining the stats of monsters for a given level class.

You can find the spreadsheet here

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10LPOoMrAgyBlQ02VpkAlN2GxzQTDYb0p-wHh-MwAY8k/edit?usp=sharing

To use it you can either download it to your computer and edit it in excel or make a copy of it to your google drive and edit it.

Editing Player Stats

How it works is fairly simple. You edit the gray values in the Level 1 row to your level one value, and then edit the values Level 99 value to your level 99 value (EVEN IF YOU'RE USING A LOWER LEVEL CAP).

"It can't be that simple  >_>   ...yes, I guarantee you it is. I have set it up so every other value in the player columns works off of those editable level one and level ninety-nine stats using the equation of a line, 

Bugs?:

• Certain values may be one point off as compared to whatever version of RPG Maker you're using due to rounding differences.
    • If you have a stat graph that isn't a straight line between two values (As in you've sped up or slowed down the stat curve away from average), you will probably run into errors.
    Editing Monster Stats

Now, if you agree with Garler's default formulas for determining values, then everything should be good and squared to go! If not, changing them is simple. Simply type into the first rows box under monster stats, then click on whatever number you want to reference and type in a formula.

Ex. Say box C3 under the player stats had value 30 ATK and we know our monster has to have 10% more attack. Simply type = in the ATK in the first row of the monsters attack, click the players attack (a colored C3 should appear next to the equals sign) and then times it by 1.1.

"I'm not good with working with excel though! ;_;  Don't worry, since I'm giving the community this tool I won't abandon you!

Here's a small excel lesson that will make your life 20x easier. Excel has this nifty auto-fill feature that will progress a certain set of numbers or formula. This can be done by highlighting something and clicking the bottom right corner and dragging (See picture)[​IMG]

But here's the problem. When we try to auto-fill in a direction it changes ALL THE VALUES. For example, auto-filling down with a formula =A1*1.5 makes the next value =A2*1.5. Auto-filling to the right changes it to =B1*1.5. So when does this become a problem? Well when we want to auto-fill but keep the some column letter or number!

To fix that, simply place a $ in front of the value you don't want to change. So say we wanted to keep the column letter in our example our formula would be =$A1*1.5 making it so an auto-fill to the right or left keeps that letter. If we want to keep the row number simply do =A$1*1.5 so that an auto-fill up or down keeps that row number. Or you can keep both!

"Do I have to do all this work again for a different class? D:<  No, simply copy the page/sheet to another page using the tabs on the bottom of the screen. From there you'll only need to edit the classes stats.

And that's all you need to know if you change the way monsters stats work,. Note: These monster stats should just be used as base, it only reflects what a monster vs. this one class. Remember that you may want to compare other classes average party values and maybe even fidget with their stats to suit your needs.
    Bugs?:

• There really shouldn't be any since using this setup monsters stats are completely based on the players stats.

Thank you for reading this far! I hope you can find use of this excel sheet! If you use this sheet in helping you designing your encounters and monsnter stats it'd be nice to get some credit  :p  

Credits: To Garler for the making the "Making a Balanced Game" thread. 

SheetInExcel.png

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2015
    redbizon likes this.
  2. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I've moved this thread to Non-Maker Specific Tutorials. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

3. Cjdgame

First Language:
    English
    Non-Maker Specific Tutorial? :unsure:  I'm confused. The excel document itself is a resource used to help creators determine monster stats.

I only threw in how to edit things because I feel like there are people out there that'd find this document useful but wouldn't be able to use it not knowing how to properly use excel...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2015
  4. AirshipCanon

AirshipCanon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    It's a helpful thing not specific to any one of the RPG Maker engines.

So yeah, Non-maker specific.

5. Cjdgame

First Language:
    English
    Okay, I got that. I was just considering it a resource (I guess it should have been in non-maker specific resources then considering the prior) because the rest of the information added is just to help people use the attached file.

6. fallenlorelei

fallenlorelei Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Just wanted to say thanks for this :D I was using my own and it was so frustrating - but yours is more streamlined and simple! Love it!

Cjdgame likes this.
  7. Cjdgame

First Language:
    English
    You're welcome! I'm glad you could find use of it!

If people like this one I'll take some time to make one (that will hopefully work) for different stat curves!

8. Arcmagik

Arcmagik Game Developer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This is amazing! Thank you!

9. Cjdgame

First Language:
    English
    You're welcome Arcmagik! I'm glad you are finding use of it! :D

10. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Just FYI, in this forum "resource" refers specifically to artistic resources like music, tiles, character art and so on.  In other words, things the engine itself refers to as a resource.  Tutorials, while being a useful resource in a very general sense, don't fit this forums usage of the term and they have their own section anyway.  If we used the term the more general way the entire forum would count as a resource.  It'd get messy.

Cjdgame likes this.
  11. redbizon

redbizon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Thanks a lot! Balancing is one of the hardest parts of making RPG Maker games, so this should come in really handy!