Visual Novel Fantasy Stat System

Discussion in 'Game Mechanics Design' started by Emanzi, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Emanzi

Emanzi Ekamu Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    [SOLVED]

I want to make a stat raising game with visual novel maker and I came up with this. I just want to know if it makes sense to the player as I want to make it a hidden stat system so you don’t get messages like “your strength is 50 points” instead you’ll get ranked like “your getting much stronger, you can now do X skill”.

#Simple Stat System
    #Main Traits
    Health
    Energy
    Experience

#World Traits
    Fame
    Power
    Money

#Morality Traits
    Integrity
    Subterfuge

Hubris
    Humility

Vengeful
    Merciful

Spiritual
    Religious

#Base Traits
    Agility
    Dexterity

Charisma
    Persuasion

Intelligence
    Wisdom

Strength
    Toughness

#Personality Traits
    Trusted
    (Integrity + Wisdom)

Seductive
    (Subterfuge + Persuasion)

Confident
    (Hubris + Charisma)

Skillful
    (Humility + Dexterity)

Respected
    (Vengeful + Toughness)

Graceful
    (Merciful + Agility)

Disciplined
    (Spiritual + Strength)

Virtuous
    (Religious + Intelligence)

Remember it’s for a visual novel so the combat will be simple stat check puzzles. Like you need to be virtuous enough to recruit the elf or you need to be graceful enough to jump over the pit, e.t.c

Hope I’m not reinventing the wheel but I need this to be obvious enough to the player without having them read a walkthrough.

Edit: I’m using this as my guide.
    https://www.choiceofgames.com/2011/07/7-rules-for-designing-great-stats/

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  2. hsw2201

hsw2201 Villager Member

First Language:
    Korean
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    might be different from what you want, but I suggest you play Magium. it is text based story game and has ok reason for having stats, and multiple choices are based on stat check.

Emanzi likes this.
  3. Emanzi

Emanzi Ekamu Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    Funny, I actually already have this game on my android phone. It’s what inspired me. I liked how the stats blend into the story telling without feeling forced upon the player, also the combat is very simple stat check.

While I really liked the stat system in Magium. I wanted to have contradicting stats for example you have to chose between integrity and subterfuge and strength or toughness and you can’t chose both for an ethical dilemma.

In Magium you can diliberatly raise your stats but you don’t know how it affects the story. What if instead you had to make choices that raise stats without actually knowing the outcome or score of your stats.

My question is would contradicting hidden stats work? Or would this be more frustrating to the player trying to figure out what to choose?

Im thinking of at least having Métis tell you your rank for each stat, I will have to roll some dice and check if the contradicting stats work.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  4. kairi_key

kairi_key Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    thai
    The amount of stats, wow.

I'm not sure how these stats will play out in your game, but no matter how hidden it is, it should be known to some degree. I think the player should be able to know how much traits/stats they'll have in this game. It will give them some kind of how much boundary they have with their stats. When given a choice, the player can probably guess it out which choices will effect which of their stats, so you can give more weight to the choice in terms of gameplay too. How much hidden would these contradicting stats be? These are a lot of stats to keep up with for both you and the player.

I think you need to think about how your game progress and how much the stats will impact these progresses. How will player raise these stats? Is it only through story moment? Do you have activities to raise these stats? How your game works kinda dictates if it will work or not, but with this little information you give, I can't say much, lol.

Emanzi likes this.
  5. Emanzi

Emanzi Ekamu Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    Edit:
    After reading this I learned a bit more about rpg stats (attributes).
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attribute_(role-playing_games)

I want to have a system similar to this, so I’m going to revise my stat table and narrow it down to what fits the theme of a fantasy rpg and think more about how the game progresses.

So the setting comes before the stats.

Thanks for your help.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018