NPC

Auteurist in this world
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
In RPG Maker games, I personally am notorious for accidentally skipping over dialogue by double tapping the spacebar or something of the like. So now that I'm looking to develop a Visual Novel...which is all about that dialogue, I want over-eager players to be able to go back in time.

Er, I mean I want a script that allows players to press a button to go (as far as they wish; up to the last choice made) back through the dialogue boxes that were already seen.

It's fine if I have to edit some of this stuff, but here's my extra preferences:

-Right-click to go back functionality

-Greyed out dialogue when rewinding, and not grey for the most current dialogue box.

If there's anything you wish to know, then please comment or PM me- either or. It does not need to be mouse compatible. If you know of a script that does this, that would also be dandy.

Cheers,

NPC

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
If you're a VN player, you sure know that you shouldn't skip dialogues as that's what VNs are about.

NPC

Auteurist in this world
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
If you're a VN player, you sure know that you shouldn't skip dialogues as that's what VNs are about.
Well, imo, it wouldn't hurt to have a back button, considering how odd Ace's dialog boxes can work. It also helps if the reader gets distracted and forgets where they are, or something along that thought. It's also to help cater to the new players.

What I'm saying is, sometimes you might skip dialog. 

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I imagine it will be a bit complicated... You need to save every past text and so on in order to do so. Or if it's a single event doing everything, you need to go back to each prior event command to do so. That might actually be easier to handle but that means a very long event.

It might be easier if your game uses an external file for the dialogues and is loaded into an array so it will just be a matter of going back to previous indexes and such.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: NPC

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The Renpy engine allows that if I'm not mistaken, although I don't know how it works inside it.

NPC

Auteurist in this world
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The Renpy engine allows that if I'm not mistaken, although I don't know how it works inside it.
I don't know how I'd be able to implement that into Ace tho, considering what it is paired w/ the fact it's Python-coded.

EDIT: If it does, I also don't want to be trapped in the VN the whole game. There are a couple minigames I'm implementing as a part of the experience, and I don't know how well these programs allow for eventing to happen (ie. My adorable DS sprites running around on the map)

I imagine it will be a bit complicated... You need to save every past text and so on in order to do so. Or if it's a single event doing everything, you need to go back to each prior event command to do so. That might actually be easier to handle but that means a very long event.

It might be easier if your game uses an external file for the dialogues and is loaded into an array so it will just be a matter of going back to previous indexes and such.
I found one script that was able to make a log of all the messages, however it required a base script that just wasn't compatible w/ my scripts that were already in. I could try writing some program that reads .txt and stores them in some sort of volatile memory, but I'm not too familiar w/ RGSS3 or Ruby in general. Also that's a lot of .txt files if I have to call a new one after every decision.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Was stressing about this plugin earlier, but pretty happy with how its looking now! Purple makes it pop more too!! :)
A friend requested me to do a pfp for his twitch channel, so far he approved one of my sketches, so going to digital now. The style he's looking for is quite different from my usual, hopefully I can get it right... :kaoback:
I am so hyped! A new post update and im anxious to see reactions..eeeeeeee
When a youtuber plays your project or game made by you using MAKERs, you will just be awe struck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deli