Visual Shopkeeper Modification to Yanfly Shop Menu Core Plugin

Discussion in 'JS Plugin Requests' started by Guardinthena, May 1, 2019.

1. Guardinthena

Guardinthena Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hello and good day everyone! To cut to the chase, let me dive into the gritty details of what I mean by the title above.

Let me start off by stating that what I am looking for is a modification to Yanfly's Shop Menu Core for MV, just so no one is confused later. That stated, by now I would imagine that most of the community is aware of Yanfly's plugins. They are highly popular and often used--and therein is where I am trying to break away a bit but as I am woefully lacking in javascript know-how I am asking for help. I adore Yanfly's plugins and run for them first thing on a new project, but I am also a nut for visual eye candy in games. Yanfly's provide a lot of that eye candy, such as with the Shop Menu Core Plugin. http://yanfly.moe/2016/01/01/yep-53-shop-menu-core/

But there was another shop overhaul done by Galv back in VXAce called Shop Upgrade. https://galvs-scripts.com/2013/01/05/shopkeeper-graphics/ I adore this script he made and fell in love with the idea of an animated shopkeeper that comments in the Help Window when a purchase is made, or the player leaves without buying, and that there was a background image behind the shopkeeper that can be changed to further deepen the immersion of gameplay. Unfortunately, a little bit of digging revealed that Galv has yet to convert this script to MV, and the last question asked by another curious RPGer on when he could get around to it was back in 2017. :( Given that we're now in 2019, I'm not sure if Galv has the time or intention to get around to it anytime soon.

So here I am, asking for help from any javascript-savvy RPGer's out there that can modify Yanfly's Shop Menu Core to meld these two wonderful shop concepts together? I've provided three pictures of plausible means below, but the main Visual Shopkeeper traits I would like across them all is as follows:

Visual Shopkeeper Traits:

1. Image of the Shopkeeper
    2. Shopkeeper image can change faces when the player buys, sells, equips(Yanfly's Shop Menu Core), or cancels from shop, and maybe based on a given time of inactivity.
    3. Shopkeeper 'speaks' to player by popups in the help window when the player makes a purchase, sells, equips, cancels, or is inactive too long. (Ex: Thank you for your patronage!, I can offer you half the value for that..., You look wonderful in that piece!, Have a wonderful day!, Still browsing or has something caught your eye?)
    4. A background image, either parallax, picture or both, is displayed behind the shopkeeper
    5. (Bonus--not necessary but would be cool) Option to change BGM (background music) for different shops. I guess this could be done by use of plugin commands or comment tags?

Yanfly Shop Mod

The first spoiler below is a modified Yanfly Shop Menu Core concept. I tried to keep much of the layout the same where I could. In this concept, the Visual Shopkeeper, as one can see, is in the bottom left hand corner. The shop list window had to be moved to the right, and rather than removing the possession window with additional item details altogether--I was thinking--would be moved into the same window as the item window with the item picture. I was thinking that, like how Yanfly had coded it that one could move with the arrow keys between the different members in the party to see how the equipment would affect their stats, that that same system could be used to move between those windows and the original item detail window.
    ...I hope that made sense! If not, I'll try to clarify better.

Yanfly mod.png

Default Shop Mod

In this second design concept, I wasn't sure how difficult it would be to modify Yanfly's plugins, so the design is based off of the default shop menu from MV. The item list window and possession window have been moved to the right and stacked on top of each other, leaving space to the left for the visual shopkeeper. My original envision for this design featured the arch window (I'm still partial to it! :) which is why this is featured with the Arched Shopkeeper)

Default Mod.png

Hybrid Shop Mod

The third concept is what I like to call the Hybrid Design. Unfortunately at this time, the website is not allowing me to upload the image but I will try again at a later time. I will try to explain it as best I can.

In the Hybrid Design, the Categories Window is the same as the default window where it is stretched horizontally across the screen rather than vertically. The Gold window is moved to the bottom right hand corner as with Yanfly's design, leaving space in the Categories to add the 'Equip' option from Yanfly's Shop Menu Core. The Visual Shopkeeper window is the same as in the Arched design I have in the Default Shop Mod in the spoiler tag above (as I mentioned above, I am partial to this design). Because of the arched Visual Shopkeeper though, Yanfly's Item Detail Window (or whatever it is called, I don't actually know) is shortened to the middle-to-right of the screen. The Item list window is sandwiched between that and the gold window at the bottom. As with the Yanfly Shop Mod, the Possession window would be condensed into the Item Detail Window, where the player could change between the scenes using the arrow keys. Personally, I am partial to the Hybrid design the most, as it allows for the arched Visual Shopkeeper I would like and still get to keep the enlarged item picture provided by Yanfly's plugin.

These were the best three concepts I could come up with and I hope I've provided enough detail and explanation to what I am looking for. If any additional clarification is required I am more than willing to provide. Thank you to everyone that read this request through to the end and is giving it consideration!

2. Eurritimia

Eurritimia Villager Member

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
  3. Silva

Silva Scoobityboo Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I notice in the image shown on Galv's Shop Upgrade's page there is a blank box beneath the items which I presume is where the text is shown. I don't see any such box in your images. Is this something that would need to be worked in additionally, shown as a pop up window, or would you like the shown text to be displayed in an existing box?

4. Guardinthena

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Eurritimia- I had no idea that plugin existed! I'm going to have to give it a run trial and see if it works with Yanfly's plugins. Thank you for directing me to that little gem!

@Silva - I thought the same thing when I was looking over the script, but when I test ran it in my VXAce engine, it turns out that empty box at the bottom of the scene is to show sprite graphics of the party with a green or red arrow indicating if the new equipment would increase or decrease their stats. The shopkeeper's comments appear briefly in the help window at the top of the screen. I figured it might be easier to keep with that same idea, where the text appears briefly in the help window. Although I must say I was entertaining the idea, as you put it, of a brief pop up box next to the shopkeeper. (Thinking of classic comic book word bubbles now!) I'm not sure how a pop up would look, in my head it seems nice and would be more noticeable.

5. Silva

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Keep us updated on how you get on with that other plugin - no point in making a second if one already does the job.

Given the layouts you've provided you could probably display the pop up over the bottom half of the shopkeeper's picture. It would be quite easy to do as a normal window. I'm not 100% sure how I'd go about a comic book style pop up but it'd certainly be interesting. :guffaw:

6. Guardinthena

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Silva Sorry it has been so long without an update. I know you asked to keep everyone informed over here on what was going on. So, here's the update.

Mjshi's NPC Dialogue Shop plugin fits nearly everything that I wanted in a shop. I love the plugin, especially with how versatile the plugin is to customize the window boxes around. I have been able to arrange the display of my shop as I would like, have a visual shopkeeper, and one that talks too!

However, the NPC Dialogue Shop plugin does not have a window that displays an item's icon or picture such as Yanfly's Shop Menu Core provides. This kills me, because I spent a good deal of time hand drawing out graphics that can no longer be used for the shop. I inquired on Mjshi's NPC Dialogue Shop plugin if this feature could be added, and she expressed that she could potentially look into it after life had settled down. Now this was about two months ago now? Still no word back from her yet on whether or not she's had time to tackle the request.

At this point I am uncertain if I should wait longer, (I do have so many other things to focus on my project, such as graphics and sprites --ugh!) or ask someone else to make a small add on plugin for her NPC Dialogue Shop that would have to be compatible with Yanfly's Core plugins--as a just in case. I am using a lot of Yanfly's plugins.

7. Silva

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'd be happy to take a look into this once I've finished working on my current plugin, though I can't say for certain how long that will take me.

I'll keep an eye out for responses here and if no one else has taken on the task before I finish my work we can discuss the finer details of what you need. :)

Guardinthena likes this.
  8. Guardinthena

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Thank you for offering a hand, Silva. This community is the best. Likewise, I will try and keep everyone posted over here if mjshi gives an update on her NPC Dialogue Shop.

Good luck on your current project!

Silva likes this.
  9. Silva

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Finally finished with my plugin so I'll have a chance to look into this now.

My understanding is you're looking to add a new window to the shop scene for Mjishi's Dialogue Shop. I know Yanfly's Shop Core has the option to use icons or pictures. Which of these options are you looking to implement? Or do you require both?

10. Guardinthena

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    That is correct Silva, I am looking to add a new window to mjshi's NPC Dialogue Shop plugin. I was looking to just implement pictures, not icons.

11. Silva

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
    mjshi, dragoonwys and Guardinthena like this.
  12. Guardinthena

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    (Cue fangirl squeal!)

Thank you so much Silva! Just tested it out and it works perfectly! Now I just have to figure out where I'm going to place it! o.o I had an area for it before I reorganized my shop display. It looks much better now but I have to find a place for it. I think I'll try it at the base of the shopkeeper, as if the PC is putting on their table to be purchased or something and see how that looks. ;) Thank you SO much!

I just had a thought, is this limited to the size of the image as with Yanfly's? Because I noticed the size of the window is adjustable, does that mean I could have an image larger than 128X128?

It wasn't mentioned in the help file, so if anyone finds this it works with Yanfly's notetag's for ItemPictureImg plugin. I specifically used <Picture: X> where X is the filename of the image in the picture's folder.

I'll post over on mjshi's NPC Dialogue Shopkeeper that this now exists, unless you would like to do the honors, Silva? Perhaps a new forum should be opened for this specifically?

13. Silva

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    No problem. :)

I'll be honest, I didn't look over too much of Yanfly's plugin to know much about those restrictions. My plugin can definitely resize images to any size you please, but using a bigger source image I'm unsure about. It can't hurt to try though. Keep in mind that you can change the maximum image height and width from within YEP_X_ItemPictureImg's plugin parameters.

Feel free to post it on Mjshi's thread on my behalf. I don't think it merit's its own thread, anyone who's likely to use it will find it equally well on the original plugins thread.

Guardinthena likes this.
  14. Guardinthena

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    O.O In that case...! Forget putting it in front of the shop keeper. It is going to go over the actor stats box and adjusted so it is longer so I can have larger images for weapons and swords. Assuming it resizes well. ;) That is so nice knowing I'm not restricted by image size.

And really? I could adjust Yanflys? Huh. I didn't remember that. Not that it matters now. ;) Thank you so much again Silva. I'll post a notice over on mjshi's linking back here.

Silva likes this.
  15. Guardinthena

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hi again @Silva! Could I pester you for a modification to your display image picture you made for me?

Working with it in the shop, the window looks out of place floating on the screen before entering buy mode.

I was wondering if you could enable the window to be invisible when no tabs have been selected from the command list in the shop, and visible when entering buy/sell mode. Maybe a parameter in the plugin to allow this feature to be turned on and off for those that wpuld like it always visible? (Or if I change my shop layout again in the future?)

16. Silva

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hi @Guardinthena. I've updated the plugin with your suggestion - you can access it with the same link as above, it should show as version 1.11. :)

Guardinthena likes this.
  17. Guardinthena

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Oh wow! That was quick! I thought I was going to have to wait awhile for a reply! Thank you so much @Silva! I just tested it and it works beautifully! The shop looks so much cleaner now! Before the box just hovered there awkwardly with how I have it laid out, now it just looks so much more streamlined! Again, thank you thank you thank you!

I'll let everyone over on the NPCDialogueShop know there was an update! ;D

Silva likes this.