RMMZ (Visustella) Call a common event before the skill and its damage

Indinera

Indie Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Is it possible to run a common event before the skill animation (on target) and the dealt damage?

I thought this would do it:

<JS Pre-Start Action>
$gameTemp.reserveCommonEvent(1);
</JS Pre-Start Action>

But it seems not. I put a dialogue box in the common event to check and the dialogue box shows up AFTER the damage is dealt.

caethyril

^_^
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Use an action sequence instead (VisuStella Battle Core).

"Reserve common event" is the core script behaviour. It queues the event to be run at the next opportunity, but by default events do not update mid-action.

Indinera

Indie Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
How do I write a simple action sequence that just runs that common event (before the damage obviously) and nothing else as extra but the normal animation?
I've never coded any of such "action sequences" so I've got zero idea how to proceed.

caethyril

^_^
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I haven't made a VisuStella action sequence before either. However, I read the Battle Core documentation and found this:
1. Insert the <Custom Action Sequence> notetag into the skill or item's notebox (or else this would not work as intended).

2. Give that skill/item a Common Event through the Effects box. The selected Common Event will contain all the Action Sequence data.

3. Create the Common Event with Action Sequence Plugin Commands and/or event commands to make the skill/item do what you want it to do.
So here is my guess:
  1. Make a new common event.

2. Fill it with the ACSET plugin commands (Setup, All Targets/Each Target, and Finish):
    I assume the default parameter values represent the default sequence phases.

3. Add your own event commands in wherever you like.

4. Put a <Custom Action Sequence> notetag in the Note field of your skill.

5. Add a Common Event effect to the skill, to connect the sequence to the skill.

Dungeonmind

Lvl 4000 Humanoid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Put a <Custom Action Sequence> notetag in the Note field of your skill.

Alternatively, you can set it in the plugin parameters to have that note tag automatically applied when the common event is called from effects in the skill database. This way, you don't have to worry about that and just go right to action sequences when you want.

Indinera

Indie Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
I assume the default parameter values represent the default sequence phases.

It looks to me a bit more complicated than this, as they are tons more options than just "Setup, All Targets/Each Target, and Finish".
Hasn't anybody made a quick tutorial on how to set up an action sequence so that it just replicates what RM does by default? And from that I could insert my common event where I want (at the beginning before everything else starts, allegedly)?

Dungeonmind

Lvl 4000 Humanoid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
It looks to me a bit more complicated than this, as they are tons more options than just "Setup, All Targets/Each Target, and Finish".
Hasn't anybody made a quick tutorial on how to set up an action sequence so that it just replicates what RM does by default? And from that I could insert my common event where I want (at the beginning before everything else starts, allegedly)?

Here you go.
ex1.jpg

ex2.jpg

This is as basic as it gets. If you don't want the actor moving to the target, then just remove "move to targets" and the attack will happen from the actor's home base. You can leave all the default settings too.

Indinera

Indie Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Thank you. SUPER helpful.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

That moment when I am listening to another instructor teach and I am thinking…I have been doing this for almost 30 years…I know this material…I teach this material…and you are confusing the crap out of me…let alone the students. What the actual $&@#! are you talking about? :eek:
Help me make a choice. Which one makes more sense?
A. Range style 1.pngDiamond shape
B.Range style 2.png Square shape
I created a skill that can only be used if there are enemies within the player's range. When the player's range is 2, which one do you think is more appropriate to describe the range area?
Just once I would like to see some innocent person stumble upon a body in a crime show and instead of scream they sigh and just say, "Found another one."
Can we get like a RPGM VXA Pro edition with all the limits gone!!
I drew @TheoAllen 's Cecilia~

yVLlTmK.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xSeggy