Yanfly

Veteran
Reaction score
For some reason the entire Iconset flashes every time an event spawns and I have no idea how to fix that, and this was even after updating everything. And after all that, at 10:55 am, 5/6/2021, I found out that this was an issue with Proximity Compass.

I believe I've said this in this thread about what feels like 100+ times now, but

This is NOT a bug report thread

---

EDIT*
Ok I figured out the problem, I was testing both Galv messages and visustella and have them both on, they don't play good together.

My next question is, Is there a way to have the message window fixed to a specified position the whole game?
Im trying Inky support plugin and I set the window to my desired location first, then execute the script with inky and the window returns to it's original place, I'm trying to avoid this

There is no feature like that with the Message Core.

---

Does anyone know how to make the shop look like their example. I can not figure it out:

Example:

Link:

These are a part of the new notetags added in the latest update:

As an example of the entries I've used:

Code:
<Shop Picture Filename: Potion>
<Shop Picture Layer: Background>
<Shop Picture Position: Bottom>
<Shop Picture Max Dimensions: 200, 200>
<Shop Picture Offset Y: -20>

Code:
<Shop Picture Filename: VS_Sword_01_Black>
<Shop Picture Layer: Background>
<Shop Picture Alignment: left>
<Shop Picture Position: top>
<Shop Picture Max Width: 80>
<Shop Picture Offset: +10,+100>

---

We are on Weekly Update #38!

View the Changelog here: http://www.yanfly.moe/wiki/VisuStella_MZ_Changelog
Sample Project Version here: https://visustella.itch.io/visumz-sample/devlog

---

If you've encountered a bug, DO NOT report them to this thread.

Instead, report the bug you've found to this link: http://www.yanfly.moe/wiki/Troubleshooting_Plugins_RPG_Maker_MZ

---

If you have suggestions for plugins and/or graphics for the VisuStella team, we'd like to hear them. Keep in mind this does not mean we're guaranteed to create it (as our time is very limited) but we're interested in hearing what you have to suggest:

Graphics: https://forms.gle/c9pbrqGbJCzWETC97

Plugins: https://forms.gle/73bPT3nfXZFRn6BNA

---

If anyone needs help with VisuStella MZ functionality, please visit the Notetag Help Thread:

---

kjinn22

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
In the default TPB system, we can switch characters if multiple characters’ turns are up by using the cancel button in the actor command window. But this function seems to be removed in the BattleCore, and there seems no way to select from multiple turn-up characters.

I am not sure if this is a feature or a bug, but this function would be very useful in time-based battle system (especially for ATB system). For example, a healer (or a interrupt skill user) can reserves his action for the incoming enemy skill, while other characters keep doing their jobs. I am wondering if there is any way to add similar function?

One possible solution might be adding a "pass" command in the actor command window that will select another turn-up character if available, although I don't really know how to do it...
This is a very important point for anyone who is a fan of early Final Fantasies or Chrono Trigger and are trying to make a game in a similar manner. The fact this functionality is removed destroys a lot of the strategy in having an *Active* ATB, and I would not recommend VisuStella's ATB system unless this is fixed (I do not have the experience with the other combat systems to do any recommendations, my intent was always to create a game using the Active ATB system). If you try to create a "wait" function that just slightly delays a character's turn, you will only end up switching between the first two characters in your lineup due to the way turn priority works. And of course obfuscation makes it hard to create other solutions.

Edit: Got a reply by Yanfly that explains the situation, explaining it was removed for various reasons. Thank you, yet I will leave this up just so others are aware.

Last edited:

Yanfly

Veteran
Reaction score
This is a very important point for anyone who is a fan of early Final Fantasies or Chrono Trigger and are trying to make a game in a similar manner. The fact this functionality is removed destroys a lot of the strategy in having an *Active* ATB, and I would not recommend VisuStella's ATB system unless this is fixed (I do not have the experience with the other combat systems to do any recommendations, my intent was always to create a game using the Active ATB system). If you try to create a "wait" function that just slightly delays a character's turn, you will only end up switching between the first two characters in your lineup due to the way turn priority works. And of course obfuscation makes it hard to create other solutions.

Edit: Got a reply by Yanfly that explains the situation, explaining it was removed for various reasons. Thank you, yet I will leave this up just so others are aware.

Since this topic is brought here, I will be putting in my two cents publicly as well:

Here is the explanation that will be going into the Battle Core in the upcoming update.

Code:
- Pressing cancel on the Actor Command Window no longer switches between
actors with a full TPB/ATB gauge before reaching the Party Command Window.
This is to accomplish a couple of things: 1) reduce the number of button
presses to reach the Party Command Window and 2) to prevent motion resets
and disrupting action sequences. If this feature is vital to your battle
system, we recommend that you do not use this plugin or any of the Battle
Core-required plugins.

This cancellation has actually been in effect since v1.05 where I personally disabled it (check the changelog for data on that). In my opinion, for it to go "unnoticed" and tolerated by users for this long means it's probably not as vital of a feature as one would believe.

This problem also happens in the default RPG Maker MZ TPB battle system as well. It's not as easy to detect because the default attack action sequence doesn't bring the battler more than an inch away from their starting point but by paying attention to the following GIF, you will see it happening:

DefaultRMMZDisruption.gif

If the image is not animating, view this:
The above was recorded in a completely new and empty project. There are no plugins installed either to cause this:

NoPlugins.png

Now, if you're willing to live with this for your game/product, you have better tolerance than I do.

Unfortunately, for me, my own personal standards do not allow me to commit to allowing such a thing to happen, especially where Action Sequences are more vivid, prompts the attack to travel further, and more. In my own personal opinion, I believe that fully functioning properly made undisrupted Action Sequences bring more visual AND strategic value to the battle system than allowing a feature that switches between party members but disrupts the Action Sequence being played.

That's my own two cents. You are free to disagree on the importance of Action Sequences versus switching between full gauge battlers.

However, as this is my own product, this is where I place the emphasis. If that switching feature is entirely vital to one's game, I'm afraid our battle systems are ill fit for those demands. I would instead recommend that you move forward and look for an alternative.

I have not tried any other plugins other than VisuStella MZ's so I don't have any direct recommendations, but my good friend and teammate Hudell has created a website where plugin devs have uploaded their own works. You can find it here: https://makerdevs.com/mz/master-list

I wish you good luck in your search for the battle system you desire.

Last edited:

WilsonE7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I was just working on my game and I wanted to say how much I love Event/Move Core's self-switch commands! I used to have to make dedicated switches for making events appear/disappear, but now I can just control their self-switches remotely. It's saved me a lot of time and space in events. Just thought I'd say thanks for your excellent work, Team VisuStella!

kjinn22

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Yeah, fair enough mate, the explanation is appreciated. It's just the tech is not quite there yet to make an optimal Active ATB game at this time, so I would recommend designing a game around another battle system. Though I'll search through the other mods you linked and see what I can find.

JiaWei

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
RMMV

For your reference, this is the compromised design I am using now:

Use TPB(wait) system
Create a "Wait" skill that does nothing but setting <ATB After Gauge: 80%>
Add this skill into the actor command list using the Battle Core
The enemy skill you expected the player to interact with should have casting time > 20% Gauge filling time

This is actually the same as the player switching function in the real active ATB, where the 20% Gauge time is considered as the time cost to input the "cancel" -> "switch" commands in the active ATB system.

This design allows the player to perform most of the strategy in the real active ATB system,
but still leave the player some reaction time. This also works if you choose to use the TPB(active) system, although I found no advantage using the TPB(active) as long as all the strategy can be done via using "wait" skill in the TPB(wait) system. You can also use a higher <ATB After Gauge> value if you want to allow the player to fine tune the timing, or a lower <ATB After Gauge> to reduce the battle-tempo.

kjinn22

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
For your reference, this is the compromised design I am using now:

Use TPB(wait) system
Create a "Wait" skill that does nothing but setting <ATB After Gauge: 80%>
Add this skill into the actor command list using the Battle Core
The enemy skill you expected the player to interact with should have casting time > 20% Gauge filling time

This is actually the same as the player switching function in the real active ATB, where the 20% Gauge time is considered as the time cost to input the "cancel" -> "switch" commands in the active ATB system.

This design allows the player to perform most of the strategy in the real active ATB system,
but still leave the player some reaction time. This also works if you choose to use the TPB(active) system, although I found no advantage using the TPB(active) as long as all the strategy can be done via using "wait" skill in the TPB(wait) system. You can also use a higher <ATB After Gauge> value if you want to allow the player to fine tune the timing, or a lower <ATB After Gauge> to reduce the battle-tempo.
Yeah, thanks for your reply, JiaWei!

I was using this for a while, and it works perfectly well in Wait mode, you won't miss a beat.

But usually the advantage of Active mode (which is really the Wait mode in old school RPG's, hah) is being able to have a party member hold off their attacks until just the right moment, and I could not find a satisfactory way to replicate that when the battle got more hectic and there were more party members.

Let me see if I can explain this...

The issue comes when there are multiple party members with full ATB, say characters A, B, and C, with them being in that order in the lineup. For this hypothetical example, say they all have full ATB bars. If you try to just delay the action of party member A just a little with the Wait command, B comes up. Then delay B turn's a little and...unfortunately A's turn has come up again. The system at this point will not continue down the lineup to Party Member C, but instantly selects the party member highest in the lineup with a full ATB bar, in this case party member A. So you will just bounce between party members A and B.

With 3 party members this won't occur that often, but with 4 or especially 5, each with increased specialization in the team, this becomes an issue and you would be asking a lot from a player to work around this. You can try to increase the delay time so that you can easily get to the party members at the bottom of the lineup, but then selecting Wait when you are just trying to select between 2 party members feels like a pretty big waste. I could not find a good solution.

At the end I came to the same conclusion as you: There is no reason to keep it in Active, it just feels like a punishment for the player, so keep it strictly in Wait...in which case the game I was designing was no longer the retro game I had in mind, and I wish I was using a different battle system to create something completely brand new.

If there was a way to change the turn priority so that it continued through the lineup, that would be a good solution. Another awesome solution would be able to have multiple menus pop up depending on which party members were currently available to act, much like Chrono Trigger. But all I can come up with is ideas I can't implement unless I'm missing something here, so all I can suggest is to start your design focused only on Wait mode (if that works for you, great!) or on another battle system.

starcrescendo

Stargazer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hi there, I have a question about the "message core" plugin available in the Visustella free demo. Is this the only iteration of this plugin? Or is there a "paid" version that has more functionality?

In MV, I recall (and maybe I'm wrong and this didn't come from the Message Core!) being able to set the message window to scroll back up through the current characters' message as long as the "Show Message" commands were uninterrupted next to each other, and the name window didn't change, they would automatically combine themselves keep printing.

Ex: if the message was too long, the message would keep printing out word by word, and when it reached the 4 lines or whatever limit you had set, little scrollbars would appear at the right of the message window, and the message would automatically progress until it hit the end. And, if desired, then you could scroll back up the window to read the text.

This is not the http://www.yanfly.moe/wiki/Message_Backlog_(YEP) Message Backlog, although similar. I know that is a separate plugin, and a little more complex than I was looking at.

In my game, I used that feature to print out lore/codex entries. I'd use the plugin commands to make more lines show at once temporarily, and center the box on the screen, then have it print out the longer messages and let them scroll through them if they got too long. I also found it helpful because characters could say a lot at once and the player without having to do "new" message windows, offering the benefit that the player could always scroll back up if something didn't make sense.

But, I don't see any of this functionality documented anywhere or within the MZ plugin while I've been playing with it over the last couple weeks, so I wasn't sure:
  1. Am I dreaming or did this feature exist in MV Message Core?
  2. Is this capability available in MZ?
  3. Or is it available only with a "paid version" of the Message core that I can't seem to find? Or are the free versions the only versions of those particular plugins?
  4. Was this feature dropped?
  5. Or because I know nothing about programming, is this functionality simply not possible in MZ?
Also, I realize the plugin was rebuilt for MZ and some features may have been dropped just due to popularity or time or whatever, I'm NOT complaining, I'd just like to respectfully ask the question to find out about this feature!

Thank you.

superscarfy

Scarfy
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I had a question regarding something I saw in the animated pictures plugin.

The plugin description warns against using too many animated pictures in your project, because it adds bulk to the cache. Is it possible for you guys to implement a way to clear the cache?

I feel that even for non-picture parts of the cache, a way to clear the cache every so often would come in handy for improving general game performance.

(side note: In my admittedly non-programmer, uninformed opinion, it does seem pretty silly that RPG Maker games by default don't empty the cache until you close the game, and doesn't even give devs an option to put in commands to empty it. What if people playing someone's particularly long game decide to marathon it?)

Yanfly

Veteran
Reaction score
---

We are on Weekly Update #40!

View the Changelog here: http://www.yanfly.moe/wiki/VisuStella_MZ_Changelog
Sample Project Version here: https://visustella.itch.io/visumz-sample/devlog

---

If you've encountered a bug, DO NOT report them to this thread.

Instead, report the bug you've found to this link: http://www.yanfly.moe/wiki/Troubleshooting_Plugins_RPG_Maker_MZ

---

If you have suggestions for plugins and/or graphics for the VisuStella team, we'd like to hear them. Keep in mind this does not mean we're guaranteed to create it (as our time is very limited) but we're interested in hearing what you have to suggest:

Graphics: https://forms.gle/c9pbrqGbJCzWETC97

Plugins: https://forms.gle/73bPT3nfXZFRn6BNA

---

If anyone needs help with VisuStella MZ functionality, please visit the Notetag Help Thread:

---

I also have an announcement to make in regards to some changes with the Bunny Team.

The announcement can be read here: http://www.yanfly.moe/wiki/A_Change_in_Bunny_Team

In short, I'll be retiring from my position as the team director for VisuStella MZ's plugin development. As such I won't be around as much anymore, but I will be still accessible to the team as a team advisor. I'd like to focus on taking care of some IRL needs as well as pass on the torch to the other members of the team. In fact, this has already happened for Wave 8 as Olivia was the temporary team director for its development. I figure now, it'd be better to just make it official. The Bunny Team will continue to roll out maintenance updates and such.

Thank you all for your support during these 8-9 months. I wish you all the best of luck in creating the games you want!

Until next time~

1621608067164.png

Elgigante94

PROJECT 1
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French, Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hi Yanfly ! Thanks for your implication in this project :)
I saw you add a breathing effect as i requested in the suggestion form. That's pretty cool from Visu Team.
I hope for you the best for your future projects ! (sorry for my english, i'm french/spanish speaker)

Best !

Novam4a1

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hello,

I'm using VisuStella BattleCore plugin FF10 damage formula.
What I'm trying to do with Action Sequences is make:
"Talent1" raise "Skill1" damage by 50%
and "Talent2" raise damage by 15% for all skills
therefore "Skill1" damage is raised by 65%.
I can achieve this by using a ton of Conditional branches but I was wondering if someone knew a way to make the plugin commands in BattleCore VisuMZ_1_BattleCore, MECH: Multipliers additive so that I could combine multiple rates instead of making 25 conditional branches.
Thanks!

EDIT: I was thinking of doing a JS code since the plugin references that you can do JS for rate or flat. Seeing that flat is additive, I figured it was the best choice for what I'm trying to do.
I was basically trying to do +20% of the damage formula and inputted it like this (FF10 damage style):
+(((((a.atk ** 3) / 32) + 32) * power / 16) * 0.20)
but the game crashes and says atk can't be defined.

Last edited:

TimothyMV

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello,

I'm using VisuStella BattleCore plugin FF10 damage formula.
What I'm trying to do with Action Sequences is make:
"Talent1" raise "Skill1" damage by 50%
and "Talent2" raise damage by 15% for all skills
therefore "Skill1" damage is raised by 65%.
I can achieve this by using a ton of Conditional branches but I was wondering if someone knew a way to make the plugin commands in BattleCore VisuMZ_1_BattleCore, MECH: Multipliers additive so that I could combine multiple rates instead of making 25 conditional branches.
Thanks!

EDIT: I was thinking of doing a JS code since the plugin references that you can do JS for rate or flat. Seeing that flat is additive, I figured it was the best choice for what I'm trying to do.
I was basically trying to do +20% of the damage formula and inputted it like this (FF10 damage style):
+(((((a.atk ** 3) / 32) + 32) * power / 16) * 0.20)
but the game crashes and says atk can't be defined.
Hmmm Interesting, maybe I can take some pointers

Synchromystic

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Back on page 36 someone asked about a "tearing issue" that prompted the removal of enemy breathing effects in MZ -- so that's no longer an option for MZ users? That was what I came here searching for, but if it's gone then that's horribly disappointing... Because the static battlers are painfully boring without it, yet all the other options for enemy animations are even less appealing: I don't care for the low-detail images used for Dragonbones battlers, and making custom sprite animations is just too much of a work-load for a single developer. Are there any plans to even attempt bringing that breathing effect back?

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Back on page 36 someone asked about a "tearing issue" that prompted the removal of enemy breathing effects in MZ -- so that's no longer an option for MZ users? That was what I came here searching for, but if it's gone then that's horribly disappointing... Because the static battlers are painfully boring without it, yet all the other options for enemy animations are even less appealing: I don't care for the low-detail images used for Dragonbones battlers, and making custom sprite animations is just too much of a work-load for a single developer. Are there any plans to even attempt bringing that breathing effect back?
They already did.

Synchromystic

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Then my next question might sound a bit stupid or lazy, but how exactly do we use it? Is that a feature in the BattleCore plugin, or is it in some other plugin? I tried searching in multiple places but didn't seem to find any relevant parameters... All I really found were threads where other people asked the same question and never got any response.

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Staff member
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Then my next question might sound a bit stupid or lazy, but how exactly do we use it? Is that a feature in the BattleCore plugin, or is it in some other plugin? I tried searching in multiple places but didn't seem to find any relevant parameters... All I really found were threads where other people asked the same question and never got any response.

I quickly googled "Visustella Breathing" and this appeared immediately:

1622864985308.png

Synchromystic

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Ah, I never put Visustella in the search terms -- I was trying "RPG Maker MZ breathing" and variations of that, and it somehow never came up anywhere. That's not the plugin I expected it to be in either, since I imagine most people would use it as a more or less permanent effect, as opposed to a "state" which is usually temporary. But thanks for helping me out!

I'll pass this on to those other threads where other people asked the same question and never got a response...

Synchromystic

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Just now getting around to trying it, and it doesn't seem to be working for me... I noticed that the section about the relevant note tags on the Visustella wiki isn't even mentioned in the plugin's own help section... Floating states and other effects are discussed, but breathing is completely absent. Very possible that I'm doing something wrong -- can anyone confirm that it actually works?

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

New MZ Update! Subfolders for Assets, Search in Plugin Help, Map Layer Buttons | RPG Maker News #78

A little WIP I decided to drop for something coming in 10-12 hours!
9.PNG
I just did some math and... apparently what seemed to be a little fun gimmick turned out to be an 80+ actors project :kaoswt2:
Yay! the original character contest 3 pack is here!
Both MV and MZ looks very good, congratulation for both RMW and Tkool participant!
I definitely can add these characters to use for my game project.

Steam link
The worst part of game development has to be marketing. Ugh...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeeperNovaIce