AmieLK

Tired
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you! I just finished the first draft of Jaye's castle tonight. I can't wait to get started on painting everything so you guys have more than just lineart to look at!

Finnuval

Made of sarcasm and rainbows
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Though (heavy)puzzle games aren't usually my thing the art on this one is enough for me to get interested and planning to take a shot at it at least :)
I love Vita's sprite, it's very vibrant. The maps are awesome too and have a clear style to them.
The LI art is amazing... I would fall head-over-heels for him without a doubt :D

AmieLK

Tired
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Aaaaaahhhh you're so nice!! thank you!! Sharm and SmashArtist helped a TON in the development of Vita's sprite. Never coulda done it without them.

Right??? Nico is adorable. Sweet boy. Trusting. I am so excited for the game to come out mostly cuz this is a conglomeration of OCs of mine and my friends, yeah? And these are ships we've loved forEVER and I can't wait to share'em.

And there'll be a lot of questing too, don't worry! (And I'll help ya with the puzzles if you like so that you can dash on over to the plot ;P )

AmieLK

Tired
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That would be nice haha plot outweighs puzzles for me everyday of the week, twice on sunday lol

Yeah that's a mood. I always hated puzzles that got shoehorned in, or seemed meaningless. I'm a big ol formal logic nerd, but you've gotta make me care about the task at hand, yknow? At least toss me some worldbuilding info along the way, or an easter egg! Pfahaha.

Plus, man. I loved the Support options (system?) in Fire Emblem 7. It's very much gonna be an inspiration as to how the LI (or platonic! player choice) relationships are gonna work re: unique bonuses and all that. So that there's ~meaning~ to the choice to explore new options!

AmieLK

Tired
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
HEY EVERYONE FOLLOWING THIS GAME:

@Finnuval was kind enough to make the first ever fanart for Vita Unlikely!!! Holy mackerel!!! I've linked it in the main post because !!!!!!!!!

Please shower him in compliments!!

AmieLK

Tired
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
And there's evenmore exciting news for the day on top of Vita Unlikely getting it's first fanart. (!!!!!)

I've set up the website! Well, the bare-bones of the website. Still have to actually upload art to the art gallery. BUT! Soon enough! Subscribe if you wanna be notified of blog posts, new art uploads, and new content!

AmieLK

Tired
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Couple updates! I've started implementing the maps into the actual game file with success! I'm going to try and get a few more done before I release an exploratory demo for collision testing (and lag-spotting), but it's coming soon!

The official website (www.vitaunlikely.com) is up and running! All art related to the project has been posted in the art gallery for easy perusing.

I've been fiddling with sprites again, specifically animations for attacks/moves/etc and playing with Vita's void-goo-magic. The end result was a cute little icon of FOOT ("Friendly Observational Oil-based Tendril") you guys can add to your signature, if you want! No obligation, of course. I just like how it came out. :p

Image link:

I'm currently waffling back and forth between making a tile-set of decorateable items (trees, boxes, rocks, etc.) in addition to the parallax mapping. Could make life easier for me, would mean I could release a miscellaneous resource pack, and it might make it easier for players to identify "ah, that tree is three tiles tall, thus I can use it to solve puzzle X which needs something at least three tiles tall." But on the other hand, custom graphics for each map... Hm hm hm. If anyone has any input or thoughts on the matter, I'm all ears! @Sharm ? @rafaelleon ? @Finnuval ? @potatopoofer ? Thoughts?

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I'm not sure about a tile set. Doing one will depend a lot on the puzzles you make, the way you like to work, and if you like the look of it when those things conform to the grid. I don't think there's a right or wrong choice here. You're the only one who can decide what's the right way to do things for you and your game. If you're uncertain about how tiles would affect your puzzles, though, you should definitely plan and test a bit more of your game before you decide. The art should help the game, not the other way around. It'd be sad to do a bunch of art based on puzzles and then realize that you're rubbish at making puzzles and won't be using them in the game anyway or something similar.

That said, I think a collection of small things you can place in is a good idea, even if it doesn't end up being a sold art pack, because it'll make things faster. You should focus on things that are easy for you to transform into something slightly different and place in ways that add a little more life. Like rocks, clumps of leaves, flowers, boxes, bags, jars, interesting bits of wall patterns, architectural elements, stacks of books and such. Things that are easy to cut and paste together into something new. It's a common trick for creating things quickly, even if you're never intending to use tiles at all. If those things start to look repetitive, you just add a few variations in to the collection.

AmieLK

Tired
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah that's the plan at the minute. Which I guess means I can make a resource pack regardless, since I'll make stuff that's easy to turn into B-E tilesets.

It's more a matter if I actually use it for placeables or not. And I think you're right, re: moving objects, and interactive pieces. I should make the puzzles with the RTD first before I try and beautify them. But that likely means keeping items strictly within tile rows, etc. Would be better for puzzle visuals anyway, I think. I don't want puzzles to be hard to solve because they're difficult to interpret--that's not very fun. Besides, I can always decorate the map *around* the puzzles too. Like more classic parallaxing, ahaha.

But hey, that means I'll have a resource pack to release soon! I'll probably do something based on the original Outside/Inside/Dungeon B-E tilesets since it seems like a decent place to start for common items anyway.

AmieLK

Tired
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ayy, some beta drafts of mid-afternoon trees!

HK4mnGr.png

lianderson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
The mapping is very unique. Keep it up!

AmieLK

Tired
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@lianderson Aw, thank you!! That means a lot, especially since I've been working on them at every free moment this week.

Finnuval

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
mmm Nico's looking good ;)

AmieLK

Tired
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ya boy Nico is gettin' spruced up, that's for sure ahaha

Finnuval

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
hehe I aint complaining :p

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Devil May Cry-Style Action Shooter in RPG Maker 2000! | RPG Maker News #75

So many good stat names, how do people chose!? :p
I am often just about to give in and ask for help in the forums, when I eventually figure things out myself. Spent almost the whole day with a minor issue, but in the and it's so satisfying that I didn't need to open a thread :D

First time for my AI to do a voice-over for a developer diary.
It has been a long way to make a voice so beautiful.:kaojoy:
The voice in some old trailers is just disastrous. :kaoswt2:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VladoZ