VN Maker - Performance - Macro vs Call vs Parallel: Messages

Discussion in 'Visual Novel Maker Support' started by Vaena, Jul 12, 2019 at 3:27 AM.

1. Vaena

Vaena Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    My message system will have speech bubbles on left, right, or bottom of the screen as well as some that even change appearance based on who is speaking. (One is 'telepathic', one 'narrator', and a left or right 'speaking' character).

My question - Is it better for performance to do this with a parallel event that constantly checks for who is speaking (presumably this would work, but I've read parallel = avoid avoid avoid), a macro that I can {} into each message (again, presumably this would work), or placing a common event every time the speaker changes?

Obviously from a coding perspective the parallel is easiest - one and done and I can go to town with 'show message' while it does all the tedious work for me. Alternately, I was thinking a quick {M:name} inside the start of a message would be easy to copy/paste and the macro could adjust the speech bubble accordingly before showing the text.

The 'for sure' way it would work is to make a common event that grabs input parameters but I really would prefer an alternate as 1. Tedius/time consuming (doable, though) and 2. The visual appeal of easily distinguishable 'show message' (blue) vs a ton of 'common event' is preferable, so that when I need a different type of common event I can more easily find it when scanning my code.

Hopefully all this makes sense, but please let me know if I need to clarify :)

2. Kentou

Kentou Admin Veteran

Hi,

I am wondering why you think that a parallel common event is time consuming? Unless you have a large amount of it doing complicated time consuming calculations, etc. it should be fine. If you just have one parallel CE checking a variable to figure out who is speaking it doesn't affect performance. So you should be fine going with that.

3. Vaena

Vaena Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    @Kentou
    "I am wondering why you think that a parallel common event is time consuming?"

I meant that having to place common events adjusting the bubbles every time the speaker changes would be time consuming. The parallel event would save time, but I have seen it mentioned here in forums and elsewhere that parallel events really affect performance negatively.

Still, one thing I thought of with a parallel event that might cause hiccups is if it isn't 'instant' enough. It might cause a bit of a time hiccup between when the character starts to talk and when the text changes location and/or the image changes for the bubble. (Might depend on device?)

It may be worth playing around with still, though, if it truly won't affect performance much. It would be much more efficient to code the game without a bubble location change so often. I do have it currently coded as a Call event that is just a bubble location drop down swap for me, so still not too bad but of course a parallel is even 'easier'. Thanks for the reply!