Not open for further replies.

Grayborders

Maniac, Lunatic, Crazy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hungarian
Primarily Uses
I will never understand why people who frequent the forums insist on calling the premade stuff "trash". Not only is this silly (you PAID for the stuff, why not use it?), but also rude: Did you ever think what the people who actually MADE those resources would think? SOMEBODY out there worked hard to make the battlers that are included in these packs.
I think most ppl are just bored of it, or just talk about the point that they could have done the game that looks identical to yours, its not trash or even bad, but this community got really hurt(from what i can see) when greenlight was introduced, 40-60 "games" appeared all the sudden on greenlight and was witnessed by MILLIONS and they all had 1 similarity, the rtp! something that instantly gives the game away as rpg maker.

I think that have a part in why ppl tend to hate the rtp, it have a stigma on it.

amerk

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Agreed. Most people in the community circles would probably never buy an RTP made game, because they see the RTP every day, and they've probably made several free RTP games themselves.

Outside the community, the RTP was less known until Greenlight came around. The casual gamers over at other sites (like Amaranthia and Big Fish) didn't really care that much, but the millions of dedicated hardcore gamers who frequent Steam and had hoped for something more out of Greenlight were slammed with all sorts of RTP spam made games, that it's now become a mockery throughout the internent, even when the game is good.

Still, RM games have gotten through since Greenlight, most recently YANTH. While the game does appear to be an RM game, it proved itself different in story, game play, and even some customized graphics outside of the RTP, which is really what allowed people to give it a chance and vote on it. Lesson here is, work hard, learn the program inside and out, don't rely on the default mechanics but try to find ways to go beyond, and there is a good chance you'll reach your market.

Reynard Frost

Designer
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The RTP is meant to be placeholder. It works for free games to get the idea out there for those who aren't good at art. But if you're going commercial you must go 100% custom to be taken even remotely seriously. You can't BMX with training wheels kiddo!

amerk

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'd disagree with being 100% custom, but you should have enough customized content to stand out - especially where screen shots of your game concerns. Use custom sprites for the primary party and even the primary NPC's, consider store bought resources to substitute the RTP (very cheap), and make sure you know how to use resources well enough before trying your hand at a commercial game.

Audio is a hit and miss but all RTP is not very good. There's tons of choices out there, cheap and free, that it makes no sense to rely on the audio RTP outside for scenes that rely on it.

But I believe this has gone way off topic. To the OP, consider getting some alternatives for a place holder. The store is chalk full of cheap resources you can buy and then you can either consider using these, or at minimum they serve as a better placeholder than the RTP.

If you have time and enough of the game designed, consider making a playable demo to draw in more support. People like to know what they are putting money towards, and a demo is a great way to gauge their interests. Of course, a demo could also have the opposite effect of pushing people away, so make sure you are putting your best foot forward when/if you do provide a demo.

Reactions: R4B

Aceri

Author
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
There's a podcast on Finalbossblues.com, involving if memory serves me right, Despain(sp?), Reynard Frost, Killim(sp?) and I think it had a guest appearance by Nathanial B., which I think gave a really good insight to how people view RM games on things such as kickstarter and Steam Greenlight.

But I looked at your kickstarter page, have you discontinued production? Nothing seems different from what people from two months ago were talking about.

As far as consistency goes, even if you have to use RTP placeholders, use ones that match. What I mean is like the video on your page shows Ace RTP characters running around in a DS RTP map. Celianna and Lunarea's tiles aren't bad for RTP because that's the style they specialize in for the most part, but Ace and DS look way different than each other, and is just a distraction.

I think everybody who goes on Kickstarter, not just you but everybody, should wait to post the game until it is 100% complete mechanically and gameplay wise.

But in regards to why you were wanting the funds, I don't think custom battlers would be sufficient. A major turn off of any game is, unless it is apparently intentional, is when the graphics don't mix. Like if you have custom monsters, but RTP characters, it's a major disconnect because it will obviously look like it's not flowing well together. This goes back to my statement about RTP Ace characters with DS RTP worlds. Your video/screenshots you have so many various different graphics packs put into the game that, although they're supposed to be placeholders, looks tacky, and just like if you were going to apply for a job, if you look tacky you're not taken as a professional, thus most likely won't get the job.

I think consistency is the major thing, above most else. I think a game should be 100% complete in it's story and gameplay ect., and all the graphics should match with one another then once that is done, go on a kickstarter and say, "Hey, we have a game we completed, but we need additional funds to make it look a lot better." and then like other people have said, show a concept piece of something that kind of represents the art style you are looking for or aiming for so that way people can be like, "Oh I see where they're going with this." than wondering why everything looks like a hodgepodge.

And one thing I am kind of uncertain about is that you said you have the artists and scripters you plan on using to upgrade everything on the team. If they are helping develop the game as well, why do they need funding to draw their own stuff? Typically you need additional funds if you are contracting an outside source, not in-home ones.

Edit:

P.S.
If you read this, please please PLEASE, separate your paragraphs. Please.

Last edited by a moderator:

kerbonklin

Hiatus King
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just gonna kinda say this about the whole discussion here.

It takes money to make money.

/runs off

/walks back in

Edit: Personally when I look at project pages around here, i'm looking for what people have made that look impressive. If something looks impressive then it's probably good, and I can study it for my own learning sake. Therefore I head straight to the screenshots spoiler. If I like what I see, then I assume the devs put a lot of time and love their work so it'll be good. If it looks pretty default/non-custom/bland maps/bland battle screens then I pretty much immediately either leave the page or read the replies/comments just to make sure)

Oh, and I definitely agree that provided concept arts should be mandatory for Kickstarters, especially if the funding is to get resources to make those arts come to life.

Edit #2

Oh, the Kickstarter page says the project is cancelled? GG I guess...

I think this whole thing may have just ruined future credibility now... all this discussion over a cancellation...

Aceri

Author
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
If that's the case(I didn't bother to read the kickstarter page, I couldn't bring myself to try and find paragraphs), then this thread should probably be brought to a close.

Also this new development brings something to light; If you can't handle criticism, then you'll never make it. There will always be haters.

kerbonklin

Hiatus King
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Also this new development brings something to light; If you can't handle criticism, then you'll never make it. There will always be haters.
Preach!

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
VNM
This topic is closed due to the game's cancellation in kickstarter. As stated in their comments section:

Due to feedback we have been receiving, we have decided to pull the KS early and do a graphical overhaul on the game, then come back. Thank you for your time and support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Started playing Danganronpa 3 in French - Eyes started bleeding in less than 5 minutes - Installed English text instead.
Why, translator, whyyyy???
-_- Now we have punishments for skipping meals, specially breakfast. At least let me sleep on Fridays -_-
colorize an old sketch
Welp... with numerous plugins and a bit of Javascript help, I've simulated an AP system in battle. Proud of myself honestly.
Why most of games like to give a horrible control to an aircraft vehicle? can I get a simplified control that does not require me to roll first just to change my direction?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charliegn