Which of the following themes sounds the most appealing?

• Education

Votes: 14 15.6%
  • Transportation

Votes: 18 20.0%
  • Office

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Entertainment

Votes: 20 22.2%
  • Fitness

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • "Dungeon"

Votes: 32 35.6%

• Total voters

Vox Novus

Knight of Whispers
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I voted dungeons, since it sounded like it would add a lot more flexibility in what games you could develop with the tiles.

Infinite Angel

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
EnglishFilipino
Primarily Uses

I think all of the ideas for the new modern expansion packs are nice and I think they could be "nicer" when matched with many officially-made backgrounds and some "atmosphere creation" elements to go with them. 

The addition of certain graphic elements to the already beautifully-made tiles - for a better communication of a game's "theme, atmosphere and feel" - might be particularly helpful. 

Last edited by a moderator:

metronome

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (Sure!)
Primarily Uses
I wanted to vote for both Transportation and Dungeons. But it only allows me to vote one, then I decide to vote for "Transportation".

Why?

Hmmm, By the time I made my vote, "Dungeons" is leading, so I vote "Transportation" to make it a bit fair LOL.

While there are so many scifi and fantasy games out there, there are still so little of scifi and modern-casual games in rpgmaker. Any addition to these two genre will be welcome, whichever wins the votes.

And, wait a minute, you made modern resource tiles before? I just know this! Is it this one: http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/a/graphics/modern-day-tiles-resource-pack ? I thought that's made by Lunarea (lol, tbh, I sometimes confuse Archeia and Lunarea)~~

Lunarea

Artist
Global Mod
Reaction score
Any chance the current "modern" add-ons in the shop will be updated for MV?
I will consider it, for sure! But with a plug-in, it's possible to use 32x32px tiles in MV, so we'll see how it goes. :)

The addition of certain graphic elements to the already beautifully-made tiles - for a better communication of a game's "theme, atmosphere and feel" - might be particularly helpful.
I will see what I can do. I feel like I have a long way to go in terms of my painted backgrounds skill, but I'm not discounting the possibility altogether.

And, wait a minute, you made modern resource tiles before? I just know this! Is it this one: http://www.rpgmakerw...s-resource-pack ? I thought that's made by Lunarea (lol, tbh, I sometimes confuse Archeia and Lunarea)~~
They're made by me (Lunarea), and the add-on/expansions would be for that pack. :)

Sennie

Demon Slayer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Lunarea are you able to tell us when you hope to release your next tileset, like February 2016 or March?

Lunarea

Artist
Global Mod
Reaction score
It will depend on the theme (some are more work than others) and how much time I can find between my other work, though it's generally 6+ months of work per pack. I'll post an estimated date when I get a better idea of how much work the pack will take. :)

Sennie

Demon Slayer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
It will depend on the theme (some are more work than others) and how much time I can find between my other work, though it's generally 6+ months of work per pack. I'll post an estimated date when I get a better idea of how much work the pack will take. :)
Great!! I can't wait to hear more on your tilesets :)

Infinite Angel

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
EnglishFilipino
Primarily Uses
I will see what I can do. I feel like I have a long way to go in terms of my painted backgrounds skill, but I'm not discounting the possibility altogether.
I really hope more of your painted backgrounds (and any other graphic enhancement products you may create) will be included in your future resource packs. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Euphony

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Voted entertainment, just cause I'd really love to see a theater tileset!

The Infamous Bon Bon

Executive Geek
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I went with education because I'm making an educational game for my daughter (to learn multiplication and division) and because you said that you would make characters this was even more appealing (there just isn't that many modern character resources for purchase).

Lunarea

Artist
Global Mod
Reaction score
I just wanted to say... Thanks for voting, everyone!

I'll be leaving this poll open until next Friday, so please feel free to continue voting (and commenting). :)

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I went with education because I'm making an educational game for my daughter (to learn multiplication and division) and because you said that you would make characters this was even more appealing (there just isn't that many modern character resources for purchase).
I wish people had made maths this fun and interactive for me.

GrandmaDeb

Modern Exteriors Posted!
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I just wanted to say... Thanks for voting, everyone!

I'll be leaving this poll open until next Friday, so please feel free to continue voting (and commenting). :)
I should have asked: Interior/Exterior or one or the other?

(I love your stuff.)

felsenstern

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I voted for Transportation simply because a modern city needs some and because it is a cool game element to have your group moved around in big moving objects like a train or a bus, but on the other hand its easy for me to draw them by myself, but I wouldn't have any idea what a modern dungeon could look like, so yeah. Modern dungeon is really a good point ;-)

Lunarea

Artist
Global Mod
Reaction score
I should have asked: Interior/Exterior or one or the other?
It depends on the theme or setting. The majority would have both interior and exterior, but some of them might have very minimal exteriors or a focus on accents instead of buildings (ex. billboards, signs, etc).

Sausage_Boi

Game Dev. "Artist."
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Americanese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Can I vote twice?
Casting for Transportation and "Dungeon", though if I had to be forced to pick, go with transportation.

Accendor

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
N/A
Voted for Dungeons. The thing is, there are not enough modern tile sets at all, but for some aspect you can at least improvise. Modern dungeon themes are really hard to find however and it would add a lot of possibilities what kind of story you are able to tell.

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Always great to see more of these coming!  Your Modern Day packs are definitely in the top tier of graphics available.

As you make new packs, it might also be a cool idea to include extra tiles in them that go well with the "Vanilla" (home & cityscape) Modern Day tileset, since this was really a great resource that just didn't feel quite large enough.  It could be an incentive to buy the new set even if the designer isn't specifically interested in the theme you're putting forth.

Some of these ideas are fantastic (it was hard to choose just one to vote on; I eventually went for Entertainment), while a few others would have a hard time standing on their own and might be worth grouping into other packs:

Education: Sounds like a nice pack, and I'm excited about having materials from which to construct dorms/boarding-school housing.  There is already a fair amount of resources available in this category, so I think the appeal here would be greater if you design it for MV specifications (or both) than if you make it for Ace specs.

Transportation: One of my favorite ideas.  Having interiors for trains/planes as well as good-looking subway stations and airports will be a big boon to any game set in the modern day.  Suggestion: Just a couple of "piloted mecha" characters and tiles!

Office: A few office tiles would be nice to have as an addition in any pack, but as an entire resource pack I see this having limited appeal.  How many great games can you think of that were set in an office building?  Perhaps you could combine it with the Entertainment set and call it "Around Town" or something like that?

Entertainment: Very cool idea!  While the specific locations would make it a bit niche, I think this would be a perfect complement for the Vanilla Modern Day (which is focused more on "around the house") and would be a mandatory buy for slice-of-life games.  I'd love to see all of the locations that you mentioned, and hopefully the set would include at least a small number of exterior tiles that would fit into a nightlife district.  Suggestion: Perhaps also some beach/boardwalk tiles?

Fitness: While the idea is neat and there is certainly a need for some in-depth "sports" tilesets, I feel like this would be more of a "nice-to-have" pack than a "must-have".  Sports-based games are hard to make with RPG Maker because it's tough to make non-clunky action sequences, so at best I think people would want this for minigames and such.  However, combined with the Education set (since sports are an important part of both grade school and college life), it could be a good draw.  Suggestion: swimming pools!

Dungeons: A very different and creative tileset proposal, and one that I think would be a great idea a bit further down the road once a couple of the above are already complete.

Someday I'd love to see a "Modern Day Mega Pack" out there which combines your Modern Day graphic packs with Joel Steudler's Modern Day music packs.  A dream come true :)

Lunarea

Artist
Global Mod
Reaction score
As you make new packs, it might also be a cool idea to include extra tiles in them that go well with the "Vanilla" (home & cityscape) Modern Day tileset, since this was really a great resource that just didn't feel quite large enough.
I will consider it. But do keep in mind that the base set is very cheap and containing a really large variety of resources as is - especially after the revamp which was given out for free to all past and future owners. It's only 6.99$, and it has a full A4, full A5, full B&C, and a mostly full D, plus all the animated tiles. It's quite a lot of material, especially in comparison with some of the other packs for sale in the store. I will, of course, continue to occasionally update that base set. But I also feel that it's fair for me to continue building the style/setting via separately purchased add-ons. And I hope everyone will support me if they find the packs interesting and useful. :)

while a few others would have a hard time standing on their own and might be worth grouping into other packs
I've given it some thought and I'm confident I can create one or more stand-alone add-on packs for each theme. Whatever the amount of content, I would adjust the add-on's price to reflect that. :)

A lot of the themes that seem too specific actually aren't. Take fitness for example. On the surface, it seems like a small theme, but think about all the possible sports/exercise equipment that hasn't been created. If I just made one or two basic objects for a few sports, it would fill out a Tile B entirely. I mean, even just making a variety of possible balls (tennis, soccer, American football, golf, basketball, volleyball, medicinal ball, exercise ball, etc) would take up a significant amount of room. So, for me, it's more of a question of what would be more useful to majority than what I can think up enough ideas for. I always have way more ideas than time to make them all happen. :)

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Wow, you're still tired from all that MV stuff Lunarea!  You've misunderstood Wavelength pretty thoroughly.  I'm fairly certain that building on them in a new set was exactly what Wavelength meant.  Not that you'd be adding new content to the existing set for free.  Also, it wasn't that you can't come up with ideas for things, but that even with a whole bunch of awesome new tiles some of the themes are better suited for game settings than others.  If you did a huge amount of variety in office tiles it still wouldn't be a setting you'd want to spend an entire 40 hour rpg in, you know?

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Revamped the crew for my VN about thirty times. Only character that's stayed constant has been the fungus character. Guess it really grew on me...
I want to work on my reboot, but I don't have time to do it. ;_;
4y195n.png
big image so i posted it as a spoiler
Just a reminder to back your projects up. Do it now! :yamero:
If there was an award for best game dev procrastination, I'd say 'meh, I'll pick it up tomorrow' >_>
Honestly though, I've been staring at the same half-made map for a while now haha! Ahhh, I'm so tired of mapping!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sysce