V's Level-Up Stats v1.5

Discussion in 'RGSS3 Scripts (RMVX Ace)' started by vindaca, Aug 30, 2013.

Tags:
  1. vindaca

vindaca CEO of Tales of the Valiant Veteran

First Language:
    English
    V's Level-Up Stats v1.5
    Written [​IMG]

Introduction
    This script creates a window every time an actor levels that allows the player to adjust the actors base stats to their will.

Screenshots

What the window can look like.

[​IMG]
    Here is a shot of how to set-up each class.( Use your own numbers. )

[​IMG]
    Updates / Bug Fixes

Any and all changes made can be found in the Description section located in the top portion of the script.

How to Use

Instructions can be found in the top of the script.

here is a link to the materials needed for this script.Import all of these images into the picture folder of your current database.

If you want to replace them with other graphics just use the same dimensions and names.

Script

This script is too long for now, so here is a link to the script

Requests

If anyone has any requests for alterations please PM me the details and I will try to accommodate them for you.

Terms

Here is a link to my terms

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2014
    Chaos17 and Kes like this.
  2. Neo Soul Gamer

Neo Soul Gamer Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I'm getting a NoMethod Error on line 633. This is in a clean project with only your script and images. This happens every time my actors level up after battle or when you call an event to raise an actor's level. Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2013
  3. vindaca

First Language:
    English
    It does help  thechancellor. You did not set up you class bonuses yet every class must have the class bonuses tag. Read the instruction at the top of the script for more info.

4. Neo Soul Gamer

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    A newbies mistake, my apologies. With that said, don't you think there be a function where a class without any noteags receives no bonuses?

5. vindaca

First Language:
    English
    Ehhh.. I guess I can do that.

When I wrote this script, all of the class were intended to have bonuses of some sort. I don't really know why you wouldn't want one.

No need to apologize, Everyone is new at some point. :)

6. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I have a couple of general queries.

Like a lot of people I have my game configured to a resolution of 640x480 whereas the script assumes the default and so the pictures are 544x544.  Is there a straightforward way to configure the script to a different resolution and if so, how might one go about it - ideally with totally idiot-proof instructions on how this might be done so that even a scripting dimwit like me can do it?

I was a bit surprised that when I came to allocate the points on a level-up that all 30 of the initial points were taken by whichever individual stat I chose to increase.  I had assumed that I would be able to use some on one stat, some on another.  Is this because of something I have done/not done, or is this how the script works?

Thanks

7. Neo Soul Gamer

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Totally get why you'd want all classes to have bonuses. But I think it allows for more flexibility in case people want specific classes to not have them. Temporary actors, AI controlled actors, etc.

8. vindaca

First Language:
    English
    This script should stretch whatever background you use the the size of the screen. I am not sure why that would make a difference. What script are you using for that.

I use this to test all my scripts and I have never had a problem with resolution.

Fullscreen++ by Zeus81

As far as the initial points their are four sets of buttons for each stat;

Remove all, remove one, (these only work if you have added points to that stat.), add 1, and add remaining points buttons (I have a feeling your just pressing this button ).

This script does give points to whatever stat you want. Please make sure you do not just keep clicking the same button.

This is more of a general statement as I have been asked these question by more then a few people.

I am in no way saying don't ask question, I encourage you to learn as much as possible. With that said a lot of scriptwriters take time to write beautiful and clear instructions to help you with their scripts, please take the time to read these as they are there to help you find your answers quickly and to help us from having to repeat something a thousand times. Doing the same thing over and over is not testing, try something different. Maybe there's not a problem with the script maybe your doing something wrong. Last but not least. If you have a question try to answer it for yourself first. In most cases if you will.

Sorry if I made anyone feel like I was bashing them that was not my goal. It just had to be said. I got into an argument with a member on a different site last night, who got mad because I told him to read the instructions. He asked every question that was answered there. Please don't be offended if I direct you there, I am not trying to be rude in any way, but to answer every question would leave me unable to get more work done that is the reason for the instructions. If a scriptwriter does not leave instructions in their script ask them to do so. If they took the time to write it, take the time to read it.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2013
  9. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I have a slightly bizarre problem which happened when a character joined the party.

Because my base stats are quite low, I set the initial points at 0 and the level up points at 5.  This worked as I had expected for the initial character, and the second one who joins at level one worked in the same way.

The third character, however, joins at whatever level the party leader has reached.  In this playtest that was at level 9.  She should, therefore have begun with 45 points.  However, she began with 140 points!  Do you know how that might have happened?

Thanks.

10. vindaca

First Language:
    English
    False alarm (Kinda!)

It is a bug technically, and frankly I don't know whats causing the number to change so dramatically, but it was not a fault of the script.

This is the eventing method that was being used to level.

control variable [008 Craig's level] = [Craig's] levelChange party member: add [DaDa]Change level: [DaDa] + variable [008 Craig's level]Change level: [DaDa], - 1Recover all: [DaDa]Not a bad way to do it at all, normally.

However, when you add an event or script that alters the leveling, you should make sure that you don't do this. When you adjust the levels like this you are telling the game to trigger anything that would happen when the player reached that level, I.E. skills, points, whatever.

Instead use this method to change the level. Alter the variable before you change the level this way no triggers are ever triggered, like so:

control variable [001 Craig's level] = [Craig's] levelcontrol variable [001 Craig's level] -= 1Change party member: add [DaDa]Change level: [DaDa] + variable [008 Craig's level]Change level: [DaDa], - 1Recover all: [DaDa]This is the way you should change the level with and without a leveling script just to avoid other problems too.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2013
  11. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Thanks very much for this. Away from home for a few hours but will try it ad soon as I get back

12. vindaca

First Language:
    English
    No more bugs I have found and destroyed it as far as the leveling.

As for the resolutions I still strongly suggest

Fullscreen++ by Zeus81, it is a very good script and I have yet to encounter any problems using it.

Also this might confuse some newer people but my buttons are not commands, meaning...

Every mouse systems I've seen operate with commands while in menus. I don't know of any mouse system that would recognize these as commands, These buttons were designed to work with a keyboard or joypad, so you would have to talk to the writer of your mouse system to see if they could build their script to be compatible.

13. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I ran the new script and with that, plus doing the event commands in the order you suggest, my problem has vanished.

Thanks for sorting this out.

14. vindaca

First Language:
    English
    No problem at all! I'm glad I could help.

15. Donutdude

Donutdude Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I realize this is kinda late. But I was wondering if there was a way to disable the Stat Menu from popping up upon Level Up. And instead only being available from the menu. I'm a very basic scripter, so if you could explain it very simply to me I would be quite appreciative.

16. vindaca

First Language:
    English
    I have updated with your request. there is now an option on line 108 to use the menu only. Have Fun!!

17. Donutdude

Donutdude Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    You're the best! Thank you!

vindaca likes this.
  18. vindaca

First Language:
    English
    I don't know about all that, I still have a ways to go to get there... But thank you, I'm glad you like it.

19. ricardo.jl.simoes

ricardo.jl.simoes Villager Member

First Language:
    Portuguese
    I'm having some trouble making the script work :( I put the tag in the class just like in your example picture. However I always get an nilClass error in line 641 :(

20. vindaca

First Language:
    English
    Did you change anything in the script?

The only reason I ask is, that line should not get an error. It is a question to see if the variable V_Actor_Selection exists. It should not give an error only return an answer.

Also you mentioned you put the tag in the "class". I'm not sure if you meant "classes" but in the case that you did mean you only put the tag in one class. Be sure to put the tag in each class. If you do not want a class to receive a bonus, for example an NPC class or Pet or anything like that, use 0's for each parameter in the tag"