Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
V's Variable Gauges Window v3.3
Written

Introduction

Basically this script creates a window that displays game variables set to gauges. I know it's very vague but that is mainly because it does not have to be limited to just a Scavenging Class. You can also use it to display quests completed or number of ____ found, what ever you can think of... Read the features for further updates and additions. Just try it and let me know what you think. I'm still new so I would love the feed back. If you would like to access this script's menu via script call as it has been requested here is the command
SceneManager.call(Scene_VGW)

Updates / Bug Fixes

Any and all changes made can be found in the Description section located in the top portion of the script.

Screenshots

Here is a link to the window.

How to Use

Copy and paste the script under the Materials section and above the Main section and import a BG into the Graphics/Pictures folder. To avoid complications with other scripts place this script below all others.
you can fill the gauges by adding to what ever game_variable via events in your game. I will make a demo for it shortly. If you choose not to use a window command you can still access the window by using SceneManager.call(Scene_VGW) in a script call.

Script

Here is a link to the script

Demo

Here is a link to the demo of the Live HUD Menu Set-Up

Here is a link to the demo of the original setup

Requests

If anyone has any requests for alterations please PM me the details and I will try to accommodate them for you.

Terms

Here is a link to my terms

FAQ

Q: I keep getting an error, what do I do?

A:Make sure you imported the background file into the picture folder and that you typed in the name properly into the script.

A: Make sure that this script is placed below all others but it should run fine. PM me and I'll get back to you

Credit and Thanks

- Vindaca here saying thank you to all who have inspired someone. If you plan on using this script please credit me in your games credits. This script was not intended for commercial use.

- Special Thanks to:

Diamondandplatinum3 on youtube for the great tutorials.
Andar for the push to not be restricted by names.

Tsukihime for the help with arrays and loops.

BigEd again for the help with arrays and loops.

Enelvon for the help with scrolling.

Let's F*%$#$G RAGE!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Chaos17

Dreamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Hello,

I would like to know what is the command to call your script with an event?

I didn't see it in your description and if I missed, I apologize.

Here's my feedback on the script (I mean how you presented it for user to use)

It's a good thing that you separate a lot of things so it's clear what the user can do but unfortunately it doesn't help the user (well in my opinion) to remember easily what variable, name or icons is what for since everything is separated.

I suggest you this setup for each variable to display so people may remember more easily what variable they made :

Number of the variable : X

Name of the variable (optional) : X some people may like to use the just default name they written.

Abbreviation (optional) : X

Icon : X

Display number : (true or false)

Color or the gauge : X

Max variable :

Picture of the gauge (optional) : some people may like to customize the skin of the gauge.

For some advanced users may want to change the name of the variable because their herbalist reached 50 points, they will probably like to call it "master herbalist" for example.

What I meant when I write-in "optional", it meant that the game doesn't crash if the user doesn't use the feature.

Well that just some ideas and I am sorry for my bad English.

vindaca

CEO of Tales of the Valiant
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Chaos17 thank you for the comment. I'm still very new to scripting so I will try my best. I like the ideas and will take them into consideration when i do my next update. I particularly like the name change at __ points...  I will look into it and see what i can do. i will pm you when i update.

And to anwser your question...
the script call is SceneManager.call(Scav_Scene) if you wanted to access that way but there should be a menu command. Are you using a custom menu script? If you are which one? And incase you ever run into that problem again, if it is pertaining to a menu or change of scene, "SceneManager.call(Whatever the scene's name is)" will call it for you. If you dont know what it looks like open spoiler an i have cut out the top part of the scene to show you.

Code:
#==============================================================================# ** Scavenger Scene#------------------------------------------------------------------------------#  This class performs the Scavenger Class screen processing.#==============================================================================###this is the name of the scene, I have change the color to blue to highlight it######hope this helps.###    class Scav_Scene < Scene_Base  #--------------------------------------------------------------------------  # * Start Processing  #--------------------------------------------------------------------------   def start    super()   #--------------------------------------------------------------------------  # * Background Processing  #--------------------------------------------------------------------------       @bg = V_SCAV_SYS::SPECS::BACKGROUND    @scav_bg = Sprite.new    @scav_bg.bitmap = Cache.picture(*@bg)    @scav_bg.x= 0    @scav_bg.y = 0    @scav_bg.zoom_x= Graphics.width.to_f / @scav_bg.width    @scav_bg.zoom_y = Graphics.height.to_f / @scav_bg.height    @scav_bg.opacity = 100    @scav_bg.visible = true

anavn

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
Main prob is it has conflicts without there being any scripts installed something about the impute b in the last lines. Also put in the description the script call as it was said before. Second it Is nice to have a menu but might want to make it give the lv by a formula like lv=exp/x(lv)

Chaos17

Dreamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Are you using a custom menu script?
Don't worry, I asked this question because usually other scripters make a script call so I asked a classical question.

Well, know you said that your script will automatically show in the menu, could you please make an option like this ?

Example :

Show in the main menu : true or false ?

I am suggesting you this because some people may just want to use an event to use your script and not let the player access your script directly in the menu. It's always nice to let the choise to the user.

Also put in the description the script call as it was said before.
I agree.

Anyway, I tried your script in a new project and you forgot to provide the background picture with your script.

I know it's a minor thing but other people may like to have the materials when they try a script.

Main prob is it has conflicts without there being any scripts installed something about the impute be in the last lines.
I didn't get this bug in a new project.

vindaca

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Chaos17- gotcha about the script call. And i would provide a BG but it is so much easier to just save one from google, as the bg I used is my personal BG for a game that I'm making. I will also be more then happy to take orders for BG's and BGM's as I can make both just PM me and we can negotiate the terms. Well as far as the bugs there are none if you follow the instructions. I have tested it, the only way you can get a bug with this script is if you don't follow the instructions and try to leave something blank.

@anavn- I do not understand what you are asking, do you want an option to display a lv?

DarthVollis

Moogle Master
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
A little advice for you.

To call your menu it would be:

SceneManager.call(VGW_Scene)

In you instructions of your script it leaves out the call part of the script call.

vindaca

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
A little advice for you.

To call your menu it would be:

SceneManager.call(VGW_Scene)

In you instructions of your script it leaves out the call part of the script call.
I put it correctly in the introduction,  but i will be sure to fix the other locations. Thank you for pointing that out DarthVollis.

ShinGamix

DS Style 4Ever!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
April Fools
Primarily Uses
N/A
DarthVollis pointed this script out to me it will make my "workcraft system" SOOOO much easier!!

vindaca

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Shin. As Always thank you for the compliment. I'm happy it can be put to good use.
@DarthVollis~ Thanks for name drop.

@side_note~ If anyone knows how I can set up the script to scroll text and gauges, if the text and gauges exceeds the window please pm me.

DarthVollis

Moogle Master
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I am looking into that. I need gauges for this script.

vindaca

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I figured out how to scroll the page. Now I've run into a new problem, it still only draws the original 11 variables and gauges. It won't draw the rest of them as you scroll down. I'm still working on it though and for those of you who are trying to learn how to set up the scroll, check out the VGW_window class for the set up.

ManbeastMan

Warper
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I cannot seem to get more than one Variable to show up from the start, and if I add more variables through the script call it disappears after saving and quitting.

Can anyone help me set up mutliple varibales from the start?

Jet Fang

Fang King
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
-Accidental Double Post-
My sincerest apologies.  :|

Jet Fang

Fang King
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Is there a way to remove Variables instead of just adding it? For example, here's what I'm doing, I use XS - Menu Deluxe, and in the Menu, when you press on "Scavenger Class" it runs this common event:

@>Script: add_var(63, 362, "Geno", "Geno", 100, 3)              : add_var(61, 362, "Naria", "Naria", 100, 3)@>Script: SceneManager.call(VGW_Scene)What I want to do is make it something like this

@>Script: add_var(63, 362, "Geno", "Geno", 100, 3) : add_var(61, 362, "Naria", "Naria", 100, 3)@>Script: SceneManager.call(VGW_Scene)@>Script: del_var(63, 362, "Geno", "Geno", 100, 3) : del_var(61, 362, "Naria", "Naria", 100, 3)So that I would be able to make another Menu with different variables.

vindaca

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I have fixed some of the bugs as far as the saving and loading

@ OceanShark pm me some details of the different types of menus they will be and I will right a script for you. I am working on a remove feat. for this script. The reason I say to pm me is what you are talking about wont work. If you remove a var it will not save the value of that var, it is removed forever as of right now.  

vindaca

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I have rewrote the entire script, with a few tips and ideas. 

vindaca

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I fixed the issue with the pages not scrolling

DarthVollis

Moogle Master
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
You should really post a change log on the OP so that when you update people can tell what has changed.

vindaca

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
All changes are listed in the top of the script if you are interested, sorry for the inconvenience. Most of my scripts have been updated quite a bit and I post on four different sites. So in order for me to continue working as quickly as possible, I just write them out once at the top of the script. I will however note that in my original post. Sorry again.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Another character battle theme
Sorry everyone. Covid rules made me a laptop potatoe and I would need more exercise and past 2nd invasion I am still fighting for space also here. So I am not enough often here and... well I answer even less to my e-mails. DC is saying a huge HI to everyone with her heavy wet purrings.

You all take care in here ^^
traficaccidence.jpg
"It's time to add cars into the city!"
--- Famous last word of the developer's character before hit by a car :kaoswt2:
Yay, our new game, Causality is finally released on Steam!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dapperteddy1990