Vultures (Demo available)

Discussion in '2014 Indie Game Maker Contest' started by KillerLobster, Jun 30, 2014.

Tags:
  1. KillerLobster

KillerLobster Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Hey guys! It has been a really busy month for us here at Killer Lobster but it has not been in vain. We have HERE our game demo for Vultures. It's a fast action, addictive, hack and slash game. We'll still be continuing our work on Vultures and we're planning for a release early 2015. Like us Facebook for updates. We hope you like our game and share your thoughts about it. Checkout our trailer

Controls

Left/Right Arrow - Move

Q - shoot

W - Crouch

E - Melee

R with Arrow up/down - Teleport

Spacebar - Jump

Screenshots

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Credits

Developed by Killer Lobster 

Art & Animation

- Irsyad Ishak

- Tan Yong Bin

Programming

- Farihin Omar

Sound Effects and Soundtrack

- www.nosoapradio.us

- www.freesound.org

- www.freesfx.co.uk

2. -Makers-

-Makers- Tatanossauro Member

First Language:
    Portuguese
    he design is very beautiful in the visual part. I'll be downloading to confer congratulations for the work!

KillerLobster likes this.
  3. Matseb2611

Matseb2611 Innovate, don't emulate Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Just tried this out. I agree with -Makers- that the visuals are really well done. The art style is very unique. The game itself is pretty fun too, though there isn't much to it just yet. I am guessing there'll be more enemies and more locations to come in future updates? I think it'll be a good idea to have a greater variation of enemies and locations (especially if some of these locations have environmental hazards or even environmental kills which you could use to take out the enemies and earn more 'damage').

A few minor issues:

- I find it that a lot of the time I'm waiting for the enemies to get to me, so maybe more enemies attacking me at any one time would be better.

- On that same note, at times it's a bit confusing and hard to distinguish which enemies are on my plane and which are at the back.

- Sometimes I find myself getting stuck on top of the bigger orange wolves if I accidentally land onto them from jumping.

- The big trolls seem to take ages to get to me. They seem to spend more time killing other enemies for me than actually coming to fight me.

But the minor issues aside, this seems very promising. I'll be keeping an eye out.

(Actually just realised, on the screenshots up there you've managed to get to the back areas. How do I do that?)

4. KillerLobster

First Language:
    English
    Hi -Makers-!

Thanks! It took us awhile to lock down that art direction. Glad you like it. We will be posting up more art in the coming days. Hope you check that out!

Afiq (Killer Lobster)

5. KillerLobster

First Language:
    English
    Hi Matseb2611!

Thanks for checking out the game. We're planning to push the visuals further as we develop the game further. So on to your feedback;

On the first few play test we decided to overload the player with the enemies but we ended up getting 30 sec games which felt really unfulfilling, BUT you are right. After the player gains a certain mastery of the game, the game starts to feel too slow.

On your second point about distinguishing the enemies on different lanes, we decided to add the fog to separate them and you brought up a valid point. We'll definitely work around it for future builds.

The hit boxes for the wolves are a little bit wonky, we'll iron it out don't worry(be happy, haha).

You can actually switch lanes by holding 'R' and arrow up/down button together. The controls might be a little bit tricky at first but I'm sure you'll get it.  :D

Thanks so much for your feedback. We really appreciate it.  :)

Afiq (Killer Lobster)

Matseb2611 likes this.
  6. KillerLobster

First Language:
    English
    Hey guys!

Hope to hear more comments about the game. And if you're interested to find out more about us and also more art from us, do follow us on twitter and facebook for some Vulture art and GIFs.

Afiq (Killer Lobster)

7. KillerLobster

First Language:
    English
    We will be posting our game art right here too. Here's our guy in a standing pose and crouching pose.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

idle_animation.gif

idletocrouch_animation.gif

image1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2014
    Matseb2611 likes this.
  8. KillerLobster

First Language:
    English
    Hey! How are you guys doing? Today we have the main guy's shooting animation.

[​IMG]

Matseb2611 likes this.
  9. KillerLobster

First Language:
    English
    We decided to add a very simple range combat into the game to offer the player variety in attacking the monsters. Planning the right shot at the right time would give the players enough space and time to think a few steps ahead. We also made the range attack do 9 damage to give a bit more importance to the pistol and didn't want to have over reliance to the melee attacks. Sound is also an important factor for the shooting animation. So tell us what you think? Do try out our demoHERE . Thanks for the support.

10. KillerLobster

First Language:
    English
    What's up guys? So today we have got the forward slash animation. This skill is executed by doing a -> -> + Melee Attack. We got the forward slash attack to add speed and movement to the character. It also deals more damage to the enemies. We will make it visually more attractive and fun to use in the future. As it is now we are coming up with more special moves. If you guys have any ideas for us, do leave us a comment. Thanks for reading and have a good day!

[​IMG]

Matseb2611 likes this.
  11. Matseb2611

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I really like doing that dashing forward slash. It's pretty powerful and is essentially a 1-hit kill on both grey and orange wolves if it lands. Sometimes I even managed to make the grey wolves fly off the screen with it. Not sure how that happened, but it was funny.

12. KillerLobster

First Language:
    English
    Yeah it is pretty powerful. About the wolves flying off the screen, it's a glitch and my team is currently working on fixing that. It is funny though. Haha! Anyway, thanks for the comments. If you do find anything else about the game or have any suggestions for us, feel free to comment here or pm us.  :)

Matseb2611 likes this.
  13. KillerLobster

First Language:
    English
    The 3 hit combo is modeled after scimitar and sabre combat. It happens when the melee attack button is pressed 3 times consecutively. The damage score goes up if the player manages to complete the combo. We kinda thought it’ll be pretty cool too if he ended the combo with a little bit of flair. We we’re aiming to get the player to feel uber satisfied with every button press and just trying to make combat cool.

[​IMG]

Matseb2611 likes this.
  14. Matseb2611

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Sure. There's a lot that can be added to a game like this, I think, to enhance the experience.

1. As of right now a single battle doesn't last very long (or maybe just that I am not very good, hehe). So I get killed maybe after 5 minutes or so. So perhaps more pickups would be nice, or perhaps to have different types of pickups. The only one I came across so far restores a bit of your health, but what if there were more - like a pickup that increases your attack power for a few seconds or defence for a few seconds or makes you move faster for a few seconds, etc.

2. More different arena locations definitely. I would love to try different areas, especially if they differ from each other. As I mentioned in my first post, I think some environmental kills which the player could use against the enemies would be nice.

3. More enemy variety is also always a plus.

4. Possibly more weapons or special moves could be nice too.

15. KillerLobster

First Language:
    English
    Hey Matseb! Thanks for the suggestions. Don't worry about not lasting too long. You're not alone. The average time lasted for the guys in the office is about 5-15 mins. Its the nature of the game to be fast and full of action. Really like your first point. A variety of pickups is a good idea. And the environmental kills idea, love it. It adds another dimention to the game. We will definitely consider that. As for the other points, we are working on it. We have got some ideas and we will share it here with you guys soon. So do watch out for that. 

Thanks again for your comments Matseb. We really appreciate it.  :thumbsup-left:

Matseb2611 likes this.
  16. Matseb2611

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You're welcome. Glad to provide some feedback and interested to see how this game will shape up in the future.

17. KillerLobster

First Language:
    English
    Hey guys! Don't forget to vote for us if you like our game. Just click HERE to create and account to vote. ;)

We appreciate the support. Thanks guys! :cutesmile:

18. Indrah

Indrah Megane Berserker Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Here's my very quick and sketchy take on the game (link for info on why it's so short and all that jazz)

Not much I can say. It’s an arcade style fighting game with three very hard to distinguish planes to fight, enemies respawn slowly and due to the three “stages” it’s a pain to change to beat them, I can’t see any strategy or point to it. The image at the very intro is cool, I guess.