[VX Ace] Dungeon A4 tiles that make black space around the map

Discussion in 'Resource Requests' started by jonthefox, Apr 7, 2018.

1. jonthefox

jonthefox Veteran Veteran

Hello, I feel like some edits of these MUST exist somewhere, but for the life of me I've searched and haven't been able to find. If anyone could point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated.

I am looking for an edited sheet of the Dungeon A4 tiles so that the caves look better and cleaner (in my opinion). By default, 3 of the castle wall tiles already do this, but the others don't. I'm not sure if I'm explaining what I mean clearly so here are two screenshots, showing the difference. A4good.png A4bad.png

2. NeoFantasy

NeoFantasy Building Worlds Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    If you're referring to the tile continuing past the wall, you can simply do what I've done here.

Untitled.png

3. jonthefox

Thanks, yeah - that's what I've been doing, but I really like how much better it looks when the empty space is just black. I also know that I could use some other black tile to fill around, but I really want the actual tilesheet that blends it with the wall. I've seen it done in other tilesets (for example, DS tiles, mack's tiles, etc.), I was hoping to get the same kind of thing for the RTP.

4. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Would something like this do you? Not tested, so you would have to try it out.
    A4 cave edit.png

jonthefox likes this.
  5. NeoFantasy

NeoFantasy Building Worlds Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    It appears that way in game

Untitled2.png

6. jonthefox

@NeoFantasy there's still a visible layer of wall bordering the edges.

@Kes that's the kind of edit i'm looking for. looks a little wonky:

I could have sworn I once saw a tilesheet that had the insides carved out perfectly so that the border looked smooth and natural, but i can't seem to find it now. :/

Attached Files:

7. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    The reason why it looks a bit wonky was because it was more a proof of concept than an actual edit and literally took about 25 seconds. I took the floor tile from the second row of the A2 Dungeon tile set i.e. the floor tile and used that as the ceiling tile. If you did that, but smoothed the edges out a bit, it would give you what you want. You will see that there is also a lava tile like that for your fire caves.

It simply occurred to me that if you can't find what you want already done, with this approach you would have 90% of your edit done for you, leaving you to finish it off.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  8. jonthefox

whoa that's actually a brilliant idea! I will see what I can do with that.

Still, if anyone happens upon this and knows where this kind of edited sheet was already done by someone, please let me know!

9. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    It has just occurred to me that you might be thinking of the Mack tiles. It's not a full set, but at least it gives you a couple.

tileA4.png