_Shadow_

Tech Magician Level:
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I have spotted some games made for other platforms than PCs. I also replied to a thread that made me think of some questions.

Since this topic deserves its own thread, and since I don't wanna hijack another just to get an answer, here I go!

A] Is there an 100% LEGAL way to export a game as a whole on other platforms than PC?  For instance, is there an exporter for Android or iOS? No Virtual Machine solutions, that's not what I ask for here. I am not asking for an easy solution, I am asking for a legal one though.

B] Is there a compatibility layer to just launch the RPG Maker exe from an Android device? Like WINE on Linux but for Android?

C] Does the RTP Terms allow the use of third party code for compatibility issues? If not does removing graphics and music makes change the issue or does the same apply for RGSS3 (most possible scenario though).

Since many people misunderstood what I ask for, I edited this a bit.

Additional info:

By "porting" I meant what ksjp17 metioned on post #2 [A]

That means using something in addition with VX Ace, without hacking any dll or exe file or whatever, to make it possible for a GAME to be playable in another platform than PC.

Is there a legal way to do that? Would it be against ANY term?

Assume no RTP assets were used. Graphics and music are all original.

I am specifically concerned about legal stuff, like if it is legal to use another exe than RPG Maker, or another "player" or whatever, to make it possible to play a game on another platform than PC. 

I am NOT concerned about RTP assets.

I am concerned about if RGSS3 is considered as an asset under the same license as the RTP comes with. Okay? :)

And also if the whole software allows you such a porting AS IT IS, using third party sofware solutions in a scenario that will not "hack" or change in any way any original RPG Maker VX Ace file or dll. Just additions or... whatever.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
A]  Degica are in the process of developing the software for exporting to Android and iOS.  My first game Undefeated was chosen to test out the alpha.  The software is still being refined and there is no public issue yet.  Apart from this software (when it arrives in the public domain), or obtaining specific permission, (which has been given once to my knowledge) there is no legal way of porting to either Android or iOS.

B]  I think this is covered by[A] above.

C]  I have no idea, but it would need to be considered in the light of [A].

_Shadow_

Tech Magician Level:
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Thought so. And yes That's the game I have seen. It was YOUR game actually, I just could't remember!  :)   :thumbsup-right:

Now we just need a confirmation from a staff member just to make this thread more solid, I really trust you, but that's another story! :p

LueLusten

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Not using there RTP and using your own files and resources then it is legal this is why I deeply researching in the no RTP game option in another thread, if you created the content the you will be able to port the game to your new platform, depending on the converter and I just emailed RPG maker only IG can convert and that's to xbox no signs of another converter. you still going to have to do the leg work.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Basically you don't even need that confirmation, because the legal issue is the same and has been the same since the very beginning:

Current TOS and EULA specifically state that the RTP can only be used inside the RM engine (that's why there are more expensive non-RM licences for some of the store packs), and any reverse-engineering of the engine is forbidden (making it impossible to port the engine to other devices).

Unless that licence is changed (with the publication of said exporter from above for example) or unless you get a specific, personal licence with an exception (which is practically impossible to request from Enterbrain), you can't legally port or use RTP anywhere else.

_Shadow_

Tech Magician Level:
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Unless that licence is changed (with the publication of said exporter from above for example) or unless you get a specific, personal licence with an exception (which is practically impossible to request from Enterbrain), you can't legally port or use RTP anywhere else.
Does RGSS3 comes under the RTP Terms @Andar?

GrandmaDeb

Modern Exteriors Posted!
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Degica (is) in the process of developing the software for exporting to Android and iOS.  My first game Undefeated was chosen to test out the alpha.  The software is still being refined and there is no public issue yet.  Apart from this software (when it arrives in the public domain), or obtaining specific permission, (which has been given once to my knowledge) there is no legal way of porting to either Android or iOS.
IS THIS A SECRET???????

lol I would love to see some great games on phones! Woot!

GrandmaDeb

Modern Exteriors Posted!
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
On my phone soon or now? =]

Milena

The woman of many questions
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Irish
Primarily Uses
N/A
How about consoles such as Sega Dreamcast or anything downwards? Are there any way Ruby code can be converted to C to Assembly so we can place the information via IC and make an RPG Maker game completely as a Sega Genesis or SNES game?

GrandmaDeb

Modern Exteriors Posted!
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Um yummy gonna buy it and write it off on my taxes as an expense so I can show my kiddos at school how yummy yummy yummy@ Thanks ksjp!

LueLusten

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thing is the will this tool be a tool we also have to buy on top, tho if it can do android I be happy long as it was a fair price as I have a Google Dev account going unused lol But will this still have the RTP resource limations on it, so meaning you still have to make your own art and audio.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I would be surprised if anyone is in a position to say what the terms and conditions of its use might be at some time in the future.  

This is my opinion, not an official opinion, but it is based on what I have seen from the 'inside' of the process so far.  What I think is probably true is that it will not be here soon, and when it does arrive, it will not be cheap.  And being expensive would probably be the 'fair' price, because a price has to be fair to the seller as well as the buyer.  Nor will it be easy to use, because of the need to incorporate every script that the developer has used, and that might mean re-writing some scripts.  Then you have to take the extreme fragmentation of the Android market into account, so that making something compatible across the many, many platforms is a complete nightmare.  That's because each Android device has a customised element on top of the basic software.  There is an enormous amount of work involved in arriving at a wide-ranging compatibility.  It took quite some time before Undefeated was compatible for the majority of devices.  So it's probably not something that many people will be able to do themselves, and might mean (this is guesswork on my part) hiring professionals to do the porting.  And that definitely won't come cheap.

Milena

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Irish
Primarily Uses
N/A
As I expected, its not something free. We have to buy it again. Or perhaps, converting the game to Android won't be that easy, maybe even selected. That's surely killing people down. There's some people in some advanced rpg maker forum sites also developing a tool for android, its free, you don't have to pay any royalties either, and definitely open to public. I'll use that instead. RPG Maker isn't cheap, and milking us with more tools in the future is what I call overkill,

_Shadow_

Tech Magician Level:
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
As I expected, its not something free. We have to buy it again. Or perhaps, converting the game to Android won't be that easy, maybe even selected. That's surely killing people down. There's some people in some advanced rpg maker forum sites also developing a tool for android, its free, you don't have to pay any royalties either, and definitely open to public. I'll use that instead. RPG Maker isn't cheap, and milking us with more tools in the future is what I call overkill,
Well depends on my qustion.

Is RGSS3 under the RTP terms? It is not included inside the RTP but I an not sure what the terms of the core code are.

Can the code be used with a collabaoration of other software to make a derviative compatible with another platform?

This is the deal. You can have a free alternative but what you got permission to do and what not is another thing.

Milena

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Irish
Primarily Uses
N/A
A] Is there an 100% LEGAL way to export a game on other platforms than PC?  For instance, is there an exporter for Android or iOS? No Virtual Machine solutions, that's not what I ask for here. I am not asking for an easy solution, I am asking for a legal one though.
There are legal platforms aside from PC, but this is questionable because some are just selected and its not for public use. My friend told me that there are RPG Maker made games already in other platforms such as Android or iOS (he game me some pointers as to how this is possible) and even in consoles, yes, you heard me, console.

B] Is there a compatibility layer to just launch the RPG Maker exe from an Android device? Like WINE on Lunux but for Android?
None. Android device lacks the memory to run RPG Maker.

I don't know about your last question though.

Milena

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Irish
Primarily Uses
N/A
I meant a game not RPG Maker. ;)
There is. It's called a Direct Emulation, such as NekoRGSS Player. It's the only one popular right now, but according to my friend it sucks balls. It's useless and the program is sloppy. I tried it myself and proved it to be true.

_Shadow_

Tech Magician Level:
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Not sure of everyone paid attention on something:

Basically you don't even need that confirmation, because the legal issue is the same and has been the same since the very beginning:

Current TOS and EULA specifically state that the RTP can only be used inside the RM engine (that's why there are more expensive non-RM licences for some of the store packs), and any reverse-engineering of the engine is forbidden (making it impossible to port the engine to other devices).

In other words, we must wait for an official product to be released I suppose (or pay a big amount of money that is).

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Too bad the Boss Battle Build Bout isn't also for VXAce.
I might not participate in the Boss Battle contest after all... I have more important things to do, like Wishful Wanda. And of course the Dark Deception spinoff I plan to pitch, Demon Slayer.
Changed my avatar, goodbye Alan Sugar, hello George Carlin (one of my favorite human beings ever)
If you still don't subscribe our Polish channel please consider it :)
1.png
Who wants to see my review of the worst star wars movie? This movie has all the excitement of being on Jury Duty of the most boring case ever about trade negotiations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scurvyDan