VX Ace Lite to Full Upgrade & "Compress Game Data"...

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX Ace' started by Mothmask, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Mothmask

Mothmask Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Howdy folks,

I recently finished working on a project in VX Ace Lite, and then got a copy of VX Ace via Steam; I wanted to be able to create an encrypted archive when distributing my game.

However, when I opened up my project in VX Ace and compressed the game data, the output file I got was a .exe file that, when run, extracts the project folders, meaning all the assets and project files were available to see, even though I'd clicked "create encrypted archive". As I understand it, the Create Encrypted Archive should create an .exe file that can just be run to play the game normally without extracting and making visible the project folders - is this actually the case?

Does anyone know why this might be, and if so, is there a way to solve it? (Or, for bonus points: am I being a dweeb and missing something incredibly obvious?)

2. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Not exactly - there have been a few misunderstandings in this case.

The compressed data always has to be extracted before the game can be played.

However if you compare the results between an encrypted game and an unencrypted game, you'll see that the data folder and the project file from unencrypted games have been removed and replaced with an encrypted archive file containing that data.

This prevents anyone to open the game with the editor to see how the maps and the story looks like. It never was a big protection against hacking the game or protecting the resources, but it does prevent the regular player from cheating in the game and a few other things.

3. Mothmask

Mothmask Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Ah, okay, my mistake! Thank you very much for the help. :)