[VX Ace]modern algebra's Composite Graphics / Visual Equipment script savefile corruption error

Midashe

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hey everyone. Just some random passerby here asking for help with someone else's script hoping that he's not asking for too much.

So, I've been using modern algebra's Composite Graphics / Visual Equipment script for a while now. Being as inept with scripting as I am, I had a hard time figuring it out but I eventually managed to do it, I love it and I really want to make it a main part of my RPG Maker VX Ace making needs. Unfortunately, a long way into developing one of my projects, I suddenly came across this fatal problem.

This script is consistently corrupting my savefiles making them unusable.

Of course, at first I thought that it was a script incompatibility issue but I've actually tried using this script on a blank project with no other scripts and the issue still persists. I also haven't made any edits to the script as there is no configurable section to it (I do NOT possess the skills to edit its or any other script's core).

So, the conclusion I've come to is that there's something wrong with the script itself. Unfortunately, as mentioned, I don't have the scripting skills to find and fix the problem myself. That's why I'm here asking for help. I was hoping that someone would take a look at the script to see if they could find and fix the issue (Wouldn't I be lucky if modern algebra himself decided to do that).

Okay, so, first of all, let me provide you with a link to where you can find the script.

http://rmrk.net/index.php?topic=44872.0

Additionally, I have also attached a file to this post that contains a blank (sort of) project that includes the script (It has a few graphics to work with made using Sprite Creator 3 XP). Using this blank project, reproducing the savefile corruption issue will be a cinch (Is that how it's spelled? Cinch?)

So, to reproduce the issue, when you start a new game... Well, actually, first of all, once you've started a new game, if you try to immediately save the game, you'll find that this is not possible. This seems to depend on which map you're currently on. I think it also only happens if you don't have any equipment on. So... Yeah, that's another issue. Anyway, the first thing you'll want to do is go to one of the other areas where there's a chest and a girl. Open the chest to get some items and talk to the girl to change your current hair style. Once you have the items, equip them and then save the game. After that, go to the next area and save the game again. Go to another area and save the game again. After you've done this a few times, go back to the title screen and try to load the savefile. If it works, load the savefile and start going to different areas saving game over again. Repeat this process and, before you know it, the savefile will have gone corrupt.

As far as my testing goes, this issue doesn't seem to happen if you always create a new savefile. It only happens if you save over an existing savefile.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. What exactly does the corruption look like? Well, an error message pops up when you try to open the load menu. Here, I'll show you a picture of it down below.

MACGVE error.png

Know that those random numbers and letters are different everytime the corruption happens.

By the way, has anyone else experienced this problem? I feel like I've been trying to find others with the same issue forever but I haven't found anyone. I've found people with similar error messages but those were always script incompatibility issues. That's what baffles me about this. I believe that there's something wrong with the script but I haven't found anyone with the same issue and this script's been around for years.

So... Yeah, I think that's it. Anyone willing to solve this issue for me? Am I asking for too much here? I really don't know how much is too much. Anyway, thanks for listening to me babbling on. I guess I've been going on for too long here. Here's to hoping that someone will be able to fix this issue for me.

Attachments

• MACGVE Savefile corruption test.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 3

Dev_With_Coffee

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
Welcome!

This error did not happen to me, everything worked normally here.

But I managed to reproduce the error saving the game and removing the Script from the project, only then when loading the game the error appears.

The error is not the same, because the term looks like an encrypted key from the script itself.

Saves created before using the Script works after installing it in the project.

Good luck

Midashe

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
So, you weren't able to reproduce the error following my instructions? This is something that only happens to me? This despite us using the same project?

Dev_With_Coffee

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
you weren't able to reproduce the error following my instructions?
Yes, so much so that I had to “force” the game to be able to cause the error. Maybe it's some problem with the memory used by the game, so it can vary from computer, this kind of problem was common in RMXP.

So, to reproduce the issue, when you start a new game... Well, actually, first of all, once you've started a new game, if you try to immediately save the game, you'll find that this is not possible
As I understand this error happens because you need at least once to change the character's style with the command in "comment", so you can change it to the default structure that the Script uses to save and load.

When I get home from work, and I have some time, I'll try to simulate the problem again, but I'll make a video with OBS.

Sixth

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hungarian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The error happens because of a completely needless and over-complicated way of storing cached images for the composite graphics.
All of that could have been done with simple bitmap cloning instead.

Good luck finding someone who will fix this for you.
modern algebra always writes his code in a way that induces head-aches for anyone but himself while trying to read it. :D
Writing a new script that does the same from scratch would probably be faster than fixing this one, unless modern algebra himself comes and fixes it.

• Wow
Reactions: BCj

Midashe

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
So, I still need help with this, I still have no idea what to do and I most certainly don't understand why I'm apparently the only one with this problem. I've also asked friends (That I apparently have) to test the same example that I provided here and they too don't experience the same problem I do. I decided to try to use other methods and/or other scripts and completely replace this one but I just can't do it. I've already become dependent on it. So... I guess I'm begging for help now... Yeah...

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Just finished eventing a couple simple puzzles in RMMV, for my very first game "Sample Quest." Just messing around, throwing things together, and calling it a story XD On a non-RM note, got my hair cut today!
I feel the need to inform everyone on the forums NOT to go with Web Hosting Canada for your hosting needs. It is by far the worst customer service and just overall experience I have ever had with hosting and I am Canadian...
BCj
Got another eye surgery monday. Hope I'll recover quick and all's well. A bit tired of surgeries. On a happy note, working on the next chapter of Escalia so hope I can continue soon :)
Celebrating the arrival of autumn in the Northern Hemisphere :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cthulhu95