[VX Ace]Neon Black's Composite Characters script add-on requests

Midashe

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
... So, should I be posting this over at the 'RGSS3 Script Requests' section or here at the 'RGSSx Script Support' section? I honestly have no idea.

Hey everyone. It's me again, the random passerby asking for help with someone else's script hoping that he's not asking for too much.

So, after the realization that the problem I had with the last script was simply not possible to fix, I've decided to change to a completely different script, learning from scratch how to use it (Which, I'm still not sure I've managed to do) and hoping that I won't encounter the same problem with this one (So far, it seems good). This is Neon Black's Composite Characters / In-game Character Creation script, link below.

I like this script so far, it's difficult to work with but the results are great. That said, I find that it's a little lacking. There are three things that I would like to add/improve with this script but, unfortunately, I just don't have the scripting skills to do that myself. So, here I am, asking for help. Now, what exactly is it I want addeed/improved? Here's a quick list.

1: Multiple Rear layers (Achieved)
2: Colourize multiple layers at once
3: More colourization options (Hue, Saturation & Brightness) #This one's less important
4: Class layers

If that list is a little too short and confusing (Which, it is), allow me to explain what I mean with each of them in order.

1: Multiple Rear layers (Achieved)
This script allows for setting up several layers that, when combined, will create a complete sprite and/or face. These layers all have to be set individually. However, there are a few special cases. One of these cases is the Rear layers. These layers can be added whenever a certain other layer is added. For example, if layer 'MaleHair1b' is added and there exists a layer with the name 'MaleHair1bRear' then that layer will also be added. Funny thing is that these Rear layers don't actually have to be below the layer that calls them, it's entirely up to the developer where they're placed. A cool feature and all but not enough for me ('Cause I'm a greedy little turd). Using 'MaleHair1b' as an example, I want it to add more than just one extra layer. How many? I dunno, 4, 5, 28? I actually had the idea of creating another layer called 'MaleHair1bRearRear' but that didn't work. I also understand that each Rear layer would need its own name. As for what those names would be, I couldn't care less. They could be called Front or maybe Extra or... or maybe even {Insert hand-slammed-on-keyboard-result here}, it doesn't matter. What's important to me is that one layer can call forth several other layers at once.

2: Colourize multiple layers at once
For the Character creation window, you can set up so that the player can change the Hue of certain layers. Unfortunately, this has to be set for each layer individually. I want to set it up so that the player has two layers of hair to set. One is simply Hair and the other is Bangs. However, this makes it so that the player has to set the Hue for both the Hair and the Bangs meaning that they can end up with two different Hues. I want both layers (And maybe more) to always have the same Hue. The way I visualize it is that the player has three options to work with. These options would be 'Hair, Bangs & Hair colour'. The Hair option would let the player choose a hairstyle, the Bangs option would let the player choose the style of their bangs and the Hair colour option would let the player choose the Hue for both the Hair and Bangs. Also, the whole hair thing is just an example. This feature could also be used for something else entirely like maybe skin colour.

3: More colourization options (Hue, Saturation & Brightness) #This one's less important
Being able to set the Hue for a layer is great and all but it makes the options very limited. I mean, if a layer's base Hue is red then it's impossible to get colours like white, black and even brown. So, if the player was able to set more colourization options, like Saturation and Brightness and maybe even Contrast and who knows what other options are out there, then that would allow them a lot more options. However, as mentioned, this feature is less important to me and I can do without it.

A creator who uses this script can use script calls to set an actor's layers. They can also use notetags on the actor itself to initialize layers. It's also possible to use notetags on equipment to set layers on an actor. These layers appear on the actor when the specified equipment is equipped and disappear when the equipment is removed. However, classes have been excluded. They don't affect layers at all. That's the feature I want to add. I want classes to change an actor's layers through notetags. In fact, I want it to function exactly the same as equipment. That way, should I change an actor's class, it would also change their layers.

So, those are the add-ons/improvements that I want added to this script. Is anyone out there willing to make these edits/add-ons or am I asking for way too much...? Well, yes, I am definitely asking for too much. Still, no harm in asking, right? Anyway, that should be all I have to say. Thanks for listening.

Last edited:

Midashe

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
So, it has now been more than a week since I made this post and since no one has decided to reply I decided to actually take a look at the script myself and see if I could at least attempt to achieve the first point that I requested, the 'Multiple Rear layers' point (The reason why I didn't try myself to begin with is because I'm so inept at coding that the very thought isn't even worth humouring). My idea was to pretty much just copy the already existing function and give the copy a new name. Somehow, in my head, this looked to be rather easy to do. Of course, I knew that it wasn't gonna be that easy because coding is NOT that easy. Still, no pain, no gain, right? I decided to give it a shot.

Well, plaster a layer of 'Surprised Pikachu Face' on my face, it actually worked. Flawlessly even, like, there wasn't even any errors (Well, except one but that was because of a mistake I made). Sure, this only gave me a single extra Rear layer to work with and I'm not sure how many I'm gonna want/need but I can easily repeat the process and make more (In fact, I did that and have made a total of two extra Rear layers).

Yeah, I may sound a little too proud of myself here but, you gotta understand, this is coming from a guy who barely knows what a Variable is. Anyway, the point I'm making here is that I have now achieved the first thing that I requested so that's not something anyone need to look into anymore. As for the other two requests... Yeah, no way I'm gonna attempt those. Like, I have no idea where to even begin.

Reactions: BCj

Midashe

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
So, it's... You know, it feels like I'm having a conversation with myself here...

Ahem, it's been about two weeks now since I made this thread and I have yet to receive a response (Well, someone 'liked' my last post so that was nice) but that's okay. I get it, people are busy, they have their own things to deal with and my requests are probably too difficult to help with on such a short time or to even bother with, I get it. With that said, I'm actually going to add another thing to my list of things I want to request. Yup, a fourth request involving the same script. I'll be adding it to the original post as well as this post here.

A creator who uses this script can use script calls to set an actor's layers. They can also use notetags on the actor itself to initialize layers. It's also possible to use notetags on equipment to set layers on an actor. These layers appear on the actor when the specified equipment is equipped and disappear when the equipment is removed. However, classes have been excluded. They don't affect layers at all. That's the feature I want to add. I want classes to change an actor's layers through notetags. In fact, I want it to function exactly the same as equipment. That way, should I change an actor's class, it would also change their layers.

Anyone who could add this feature? I was thinking the same thoughts that I did with my first request, adding more Rear layers. Just copy an already existing feature and change the names of it but I really don't think that's gonna work this time. I mean, Equipment and Classes are not the same thing. So, yeah, I need help. Thanks.

Roninator2

Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
If no one has replied, then it is likely that those who would take their free time to make the changes do not have the skill or knowledge or time to make it.
Those that could, would do it if you made a request in the commission request thread.
I know for sure that I would not invest my time to do this because it would take days for me to understand how the script worked and to make the changes, if I could do it at all. And I would not accept a commission because I would not be able to make the adjustments required.
So I would advise that you make this request in the commission request thread.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I have a really hard time keeping all these goodies secret til December... but I swear, it is worth the wait!
Working on a Premium version of my minimap plugin that will have advanced functionalities such as drawing a Terrain map based completely on the users tilesets, whatever they may be, and drawing minimap radar icons automatically based on texture of the event the note is applied to.
Psttt come look, this is the secret technique to tenderizing steaks, it makes it extra beefy. :rwink:

pixeldailyaxemeatsheild.gif
#screenshotsaturday update, featuring vaporwave angels lol
Lil' sketch I drew of Nico di Angelo :)
The spooky boi himself ♥
Nico sketch by Artemis Yates.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
torsbein