VX Ace to MV Converter

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by Shaz, Oct 1, 2015.

1. everybear

everybear Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Soooo how will this work if you mostly use parallax backgrounds? Not even concerned with pixel movement or anything else, just regular parallax. Is there a parallax lock plugin yet? I assume it would just export the tile passability. 

2. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I couldn't say - both because I haven't scoured the list of plugins myself yet, and because if I had, I would not be able to reveal what is or isn't there ;)

If you use parallax and you set passabilities via the tileset, then the passabilities would be converted.  You would need to enlarge your parallax backgrounds.  As for whether there's a parallax lock plugin, see my answer to the previous question about plugins.  Parallaxed maps are something that's so common, I think it would be safe to assume if there's NOT a plugin to allow locking on release, it won't take long for someone to make one.

Carde likes this.
  3. Monochrome Phantom

Monochrome Phantom Member XII Member

First Language:
    Bogan
    Even if it isn't made, there's a work around. FenixFyreX made a converter from VX to VXAce that works (I've confirmed it), so then once you've converted your VX project to Ace all you need to do is then use the converter from VXAce to MV.

Sure, it'll be a bit more sloppy, but it should work.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2015
  4. Liak

Liak Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    I think nobody was expecting this. :) Thank you, Shaz! Such an important contribution to the community!

Shaz likes this.
  5. richter_h

richter_h Eh? Sweetroll? Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Ah, that sounds good, too, but the ultimate thing I concern in this matter is the script. I've worked on my own projects for years and the scripts are mostly custom made. I want to minimize my works if I ever move to later tools. Maps and database are okay, though.

I just don't want to repeat the endless loop of my circle. They tend to update their tools while the projects were barely touched, which led into Eternal project (a.k.a. Never Ending Project/NEP); literally, UNLIMITED UPDATE WORKS.

So, if the only way to continue my projects with MV is to reproduce the same modules all over again, I'd rather to stay with the antique one instead. Doesn't matter, people have their own choices, right?

Anyway, I'll look forward into awesome projects that made with the highly anticipated MV later :)

6. GrandmaDeb

GrandmaDeb Modern Exteriors Posted! Veteran

I LOVE ugly editors! I LOVE ugly editors!

So I can import game, then use script/plugin to set tile size, then Bob's your uncle!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2015
  7. gnmmarechal

gnmmarechal Warper Member

First Language:
    Portugal
    This might be just what I need. :D

8. Schlangan

Schlangan A madman with a computer Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'll look at how the converter is done for VXAce, and i'll try to do it for XP if I got some time after the release of MV. Who knows, it might actually work ^^

9. Ludicrousda3ve

Ludicrousda3ve Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Shaz, you're my hero.

This is going to save so much time. As long as JS-HTML5-NWF for Wii U works out halfway smoothly, things are going to be extremely beautiful.

10. Hudell

Hudell Dog Lord Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The plugin could also let you use a different tileset file for the editor and the game, so it doesn't look that bad. You'd see a 48x48 version of the tileset on the editor, but run the game with a 32x32 tileset.

11. Paoly

Paoly Warper Member

First Language:
    Spanish
    So, if I convert one VX Ace project, will it look blurry on MV for the 1.5 upscale? Isn't there an option to play an MV project at the same resolution as VX Ace?

12. Tigrean

Tigrean Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Where is this scrip I really would like to get so I can add it to my project now?

13. Vox Novus

Vox Novus Knight of Whispers Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    It's part of the pre-order bonuses for MV (at least currently).

14. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Both variants are possible, and both depend on what you do and like.
    You need to scale the tilesets manually, but there are different programs for scaling, and some give very good results.

Or you could put in a plugin to change MV to use 32x32 grid, keeping exactly the same resources - it would just look bad in the editor as that can't be changed.

Nowhere - it is currently part of the preorder package and will not be available until that release, and while it was confirmed that it will be released for free later, that will probably take some days after release of RMMV.

15. Tigrean

Tigrean Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Cool does that include the steam preorder or do I have to get it from the site?

16. Vox Novus

Vox Novus Knight of Whispers Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    The pre-orders seem to be the same regardless of which you get; although if you buy from this site you will get a steam version as well.

17. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I think I'm okay to say this, as I've seen comments to a similar effect in the main thread.

I believe it will come packaged with both versions of MV, even though it's not an MV plugin, AND will be available for separate, free download.  

Depending on what converter you use.  The one I've seen gives a pretty nice result, but doesn't convert to 1.5 - only 1.6 (because you can't have half tiles).  

The plugin Archeia used took a TileD map with a 16x16 tileset.  I'd like a plugin that will let you specify what size your tiles are, so you don't have to scale any graphics and can stick with 32x32.  But that'd look weird in the editor.  So I was thinking along the same lines - have a scaled-up version of the tiles just for the editor, and a smaller version for the finished product, and the plugin would use the smaller version.  It's a lot of messing around, and you'd have to remove those resources prior to sharing your game, but at least it means you'd still be able to use the editor to adjust your maps and not require an external program.

It's harder with XP, because the tileset format is different, the map editor is different, and the database is really different - as far as elements, resistances, allocating equipment.  You'd have to make some decisions as to how you're going to re-interpret stuff.

18. Liak

Liak Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    I think the upscaling question referred to your converter itself. Right, Paoly? So maybe we need to clarify that Shaz's converter doesn't turn your VX Ace project into an MV project with all graphics upscaled. See, what maps really are is they are a file with data in it. I have no idea how that data is actually structured, but for the time being, let's imagine it as a text document that defines coordinates and tile IDs. VX Ace reads that and turns it into a map. MV does the same thing, but with a different data structure. Shaz's converter merely changes the text file's data structure from the VX Ace one to the MV one. It does a similar thing for the database and events, but graphics are not touched at all. In fact, your map in MV will look horrible if you use a MV tileset that is structured differently than your VX Ace. You need to re-create your VX Ace tileset for MV (you know, put trees where there are trees, rocks where there are rocks etc.).

Was that the question? :)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2015
  19. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    No, I already made it clear in the first post that resources are NOT converted.

Only database, maps & events.  No graphics.

20. Tigrean

Tigrean Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    SO pretty much all the maps databases and events are converted but I will have to pull the graphics from the VX ace one and move them whhere they need to be in MV and also find someone who can convert the Ruby language scripts into Java, Any one willing to do that for me here?