VX Ace to MV Converter

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by Shaz, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Schlangan

Schlangan A madman with a computer Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Still, it might be an interesting challenge for me, and it could be helpful for the community, so I'll try :D

The thing is unlike you I'll have to wait for MV to be out :p

2. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You would not only have to move all the resources - you would have to resize them all to meet MV's specifications.

As for converting scripts, this is not the place or the time to be asking for anyone to do that (and probably nobody would volunteer either, considering how many you may or may not have).  AFTER MV is released, there will be an MV PlugIn Requests forum, where you can ask that.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2015
  3. Tigrean

Tigrean Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Ok thanks again.

4. heroscratch

heroscratch Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    So would simply stretching the image to fit a 42x42 from 32x32 look real awkward/ugly in game? It's really hard for me to tell a difference since I can't look at MV resources side by side. If all my old ACE gfx become ugly when I re-size them, I'll just avoid MV and continue what I'm doing with the Unreal Engine. I only considered MV because it uses Javascript; which I'm actually familiar with unlike ruby.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2015
  5. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    There are different ways to resize, including specialized program with optimized formulae.

However, the basic problem is that the conversion 32->48 requires three pixels for each of two original pixels - and it depends on the formula what color is suddenly selected for the new pixel between the original.

There is no general answer possible, some tiles look good when resized, others get blurry, and a different formula gives different results.

You'll have to test the conversion before you can really decide on quality.

6. heroscratch

First Language:
    English
    Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Hopefully MV launches with a trial. Till I see how it looks in game I wouldn't be happy with the idea of throwing down $80. Because while you can convert your project, it's more of a, 'you can KINDA convert your project. It just won't look and function well' (assuming you have ruby scripts, not that it matters much to me anymore, but it might to some).

7. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    you don't need MV to check conversions - you'll convert them in a different program anyway, and then you can check the tilesheets directly.

The B-E tiles will work that way without problems, and even the autotiles will be able to get you a first guess.

It might still be that there'll problems with the resized autotiles due to the automapping, but everything else can be checked without MV.

8. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Without these scripts, you would not be able to convert your project at all.  "You can KINDA convert your project" is a step up imo ;)  You can take that step, or not.

Yesterday I converted my game and as a trial I grabbed all the tilesets for one area and just increased them to 150% in Paint.NET - if you hunted around you'd probably find better programs to use to resize them.  They actually look better than I expected (someone with an eye for art would no doubt find flaws all over the place).  There's a bit of an issue with autotile tree tops, where the middle is just a single colour, but that wouldn't be difficult to fix.  I'm now thinking that I may not have to get all my art redone after all.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2015
    captainsteff and Ludicrousda3ve like this.
  9. heroscratch

First Language:
    English
    Sorry, I'm really not trying to downplay what you've made. It's honestly pretty cool; just not sure if it'd be something I could use or not. After giving some thought, I might just grab MV anyways to see if I can streamline 2d rpg style games better with this than with something like Construct 2. 

10. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah, I didn't take it that way at all, so it's okay :) This converter will be suitable for some people and some projects, but not for others. And that's okay :)

11. Ludicrousda3ve

Ludicrousda3ve Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I've done the same, albeit with Gimp. Looks good! Of course there's time until I can see how it all works out in MV, but visually it's fine (maybe a few passes of polish?), and they tested well in TileD. :D

12. Tome571

Tome571 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    So, are any of the assets from Ace going to be in MV? If you used standard tilesets from Ace, are there already going to be the "converted" versions in MV that would help streamline the conversion? In anticipation, I have been doing maps and place holders with all Ace resources and I'm curious if I should keep working this way to streamline the conversion. Thanks!

13. OtakuD50

OtakuD50 Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    This sounds awesome.  I just have one concern: How does this work with default animations?  Does it convert animations at all?

If so, I assume it will make copies of the graphics (that you have to manually convert), so all your old animations should work fine, but will your imported list of animations overwrite MV's default animation slots?

Not that big a deal since I'm fine with redoing animations (and I do like playing around with default animations and new animation graphics); I like to mentally prepare how much work I'll have to put in.  Just the fact that I won't have to redo a loooooot of events and retype dialogue and complex branches saves a significant amount of time, so I appreciate that.

14. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It does not do anything with resources.

EVERYTHING will overwrite MV's default stuff. You are porting your project to a new one, not adding to an existing one.

If you want to keep MV's animations and not your own from Ace, just don't copy the Animations.json file over. If you want them both, do the port, then create another new MV project and copy the animations over one by one.

15. OtakuD50

OtakuD50 Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Thanks; exactly what I wanted to know (and thanks for the tip). 

So from this, my understanding is that it doesn't make copies of the resources, but it maintains the same references to resources... so all I need to do is have correctly-named resources in the appropriate project folders? 

How does this work regarding RTP files?  If, say, I were using an RTP "actor1" in my VX Ace project, would the converted project look for an "actor1" in the MV RTP, or an imported "actor1?"

Edit: Probably should've watched the video about the converter before asking questions.  I got used to resources being added automatically to my VX Ace project just by putting them in my project folders, but it seems I'll have to add each resource to the project manually for them to show up.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2015
  16. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That's right. As Archeia showed in the video, you can just copy your entire resource folders over to your MV project, use the plugin for tile size, and if you have no custom scripts and no script references in event commands, you will be able to run your game.

You'll have to do a little bit more to convert the tilesets to 48x48 (after copying the originals to a different folder) if you want to modify your maps in the editor.

RTP resources - you would need to copy them from the RTP folders if you wanted to use the Ace versions. You can either export through the Ace resource manager, which would be painfully slow, or just go to where the RTP is installed on your computer and copy/paste the whole lot. The manual, slow method might be better if you are only using SOME RTP resources.

GrandmaDeb likes this.
  17. HeroicJay

HeroicJay Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So that's acceptable, then? Using VX Ace RTP files with MV projects?

The reason I ask: though I haven't seen the whole MV set, the icons that come with VX Ace fit the style and tone of my project pretty well (MUCH better than what I've so far seen of the MV icons) and, barring me finding an artist willing to redraw every single one (I don't have enough faith in my graphical art skills for that) or MV having similar icons that just haven't been showcased yet, I'd prefer to stick with those or personally-made variants of them.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  18. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I don't really know how many other ways we can say this.

IF you have a licensed copy of VX Ace AND a licensed copy of MV, you can use their resources interchangeably.

If you do not own Ace, then you cannot use its resources in ANY maker.

19. HeroicJay

HeroicJay Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Okay, sorry, I haven't read everything on this forum yet. And that's what I wanted to know, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  20. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    We're not frustrated with you in particular, don't worry, it just gets asked a lot.  A LOT.  Even more popular than "why can't I get my character to move?" and "how do I make an event image bigger than 32x32?"  (Sorry, this is only funny if you've been here a bit.  I'll stop joking now.)

Andar's starting point for new users is highly recommended.