VX Ace to MV Converter

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by Shaz, Oct 1, 2015.

1. HeroicJay

HeroicJay Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks, and there is some useful stuff there, but while I may not be anything approaching a regular on this forum, I am not exactly new to RPG Maker. :)

2. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    see, we don't know that unless you tell us ;)

3. Neo Soul Gamer

Neo Soul Gamer Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Shaz. Fantastic job! Thank you VERY much for this. I was a little skeptical of how the conversion would work. This is one heck of a time saver. What I'm most excited about is the Class tab and parameter growths. For anyone who has created their own growth charts for multiple characters (Like I've done), this tool is invaluable.

Lars Ulrika and Shaz like this.
  4. TheOddFellow

TheOddFellow Overactive Artisan Story Crafter Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    From what I've read so far, I should have little problem converting my game to MV. But, I still have a question.

If I used code within the common events, would it convert those? Or, will I have to mess with every part of it to get the scripted bits to work?

5. DarknessFalls

DarknessFalls Rpg Maker Jesus - JS Dev. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I dont have any ace games going at the moment so I wont be making any conversions but this does look cool

6. GrandmaDeb

GrandmaDeb Modern Exteriors Posted! Veteran

So once the game is converted (from 32x32 tiles), can new maps be added with MV tiles (48x48), or is it an all or nothing deal?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2015
  7. DarknessFalls

First Language:
    English
    thats why you convert, to continue building :D

8. GrandmaDeb

GrandmaDeb Modern Exteriors Posted! Veteran

or maybe you have to use all 32x32 tiles, as opposed to having maps with differing tile sizes, but still you can use your Ace game in MV. =]

Thanks though, I tried to clarify my question.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2015
  9. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    NO scripts or script calls will be converted.

On request I have added a list of all commands that use script calls. You can use that to find them, and determine which ones need to be changed. But you will have to make the change yourself.

You can continue development in MV after the conversion. If you convert all your resources to the MV size, you can just continue to work as usual. But if you're going to stick with the 32x32 size and use the Change Tile Size plugin, any new tilesets you add, you'll need to add 2 versions - one for the editor (at 48x48, so you can continue mapping in MV) and one for playing (at 32x32)

GrandmaDeb likes this.
  10. zadck

zadck Villager Member

So I have a concern that will otherwise prevent me from ever transferring to MV. (That said, thank you so much for this converter! I'd never even consider MV otherwise! You're a hero.)

My database in VX Ace is already expanded. I need at least 3000 skills for a project I'd love to transfer and go mobile with, but MV has a cap of 2000. I have other content that I'd love to convert that is over the 999 in Ace, but under 2000.

If I use this converter, what will happen to those that are over the 2000 limit? If someone made a database breaker for MV, do you think they would properly transfer? And what would happen to things under 2000, but past 999--would those transfer properly?

This is incredible work and has me far more excited about MV, but I can't use it if the converter can't handle my already expanded database. :(

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2015
  11. DarknessFalls

First Language:
    English
    3k skills? Hahaha. thats awesome. you can use javascript to then use ajax to publish the additional skills to a database else where.

12. zadck

zadck Villager Member

It's been an, ah, big project, haha. Created a pretty unique battle system that is sort of like if you took a GCD Tab Targeting MMORPG and made it into a turn based game. It requires, well, a lot of skills, haha.

I'm going to set aside techy pride to say that I have no experience with Javascript or Ajax and am not entirely sure what you mean. Could you elaborate? I'm very well versed in RPG Maker VX Ace's intricacies, and some Ruby, but MV will be a learning experience for me that I'm excited for. Thank you for your thoughts!

On the same note: If this converter can't handle 3000 or more skills, would it still work to convert a database with 1000-2000 skill entries? If I tried it with a database above 2000, will it just drop the rest, or not work at all? I'm looking forward to trying to test this all ASAP when it launches tomorrow, but I'm eager to know if I'll be able to continue some of my larger projects or not.

Thanks again for any insight!

DarknessFalls likes this.
  13. DarknessFalls

First Language:
    English
    yes it will drop the rest.

14. zadck

zadck Villager Member

But it should be able to transfer anything under the 2000, then? Like if I had ~1500 or something? That would be very acceptable if that's the case!

I was so ready to never want to change to MV, but as scripts are recreated over time the appeal of this engine will end up being huge, expecially with this converter.

15. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I don't think the export will be a problem - Ace could use larger databases after a database breaker because there was no technical limit but a limit on the editor function to create the entries. And unless there were special problems I don't think that Shaz artificially limited the export.
    Unfortunately no one knows yet if the MV editor can load the additional data, because no one knows where the limit is placed in the MV editor.

If it is similiar, then most probably there will be database breaker scripts for MV and this will work.

If there is a technical problem and limitation (cause by the mobile export for example), then the larger data would not be usable.

It's about 20 hours before someone other than betatesters under NDA can test that...

DarknessFalls likes this.
  16. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Darkness Falls, please do not answer on my behalf. You haven't seen the converter, and your answer is wrong. That means the conversation that's happened over the last 6 posts have all been going down the wrong path and now we have to backtrack to the first of those 6 and go off in a different direction.

The converter will convert whatever you have in your database - it is not restricted by the limits in the editor. So YES, it WILL convert your 3000 skills. NO, it will NOT cut them off past the 999 or the 2000.

What MV does with it might be a different story.

How do you prevent Ace chopping off the extra 2000 skills? How do you get the extra skills in there, if the editor won't let you do it? If you needed a script in Ace to allow more than 999, you will probably need a plugin in MV to allow more than 2000 - to be honest I've never looked at limit breaker scripts, either for stats OR the database, so I would only be guessing how they work.

@zadck if you want to send me your Skills.rvdata2 file, I can run it through the converter and pull it into MV and let you know for sure. Or you could wait until tomorrow and try it yourself. :)

zadck likes this.
  17. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I have tried the limit breaker, that's what I based my answer above on.
    The database itself can handle unlimited numbers, the limit is in the allowed number of the "Change Maximum" button.

You use a limit breaker script to change the numbers in the files, after that the editor can handle the numbers as long as you never using the change maximum button. The breaker script is then removed again.

The question is whether MV does the same or not

acelimitbreaker.png

18. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Okay, zadck sent me his skills file with 3000 entries. They were all processed by the converter, and are totally all visible and usable in MV.

So, not an issue.

19. zadck

zadck Villager Member

Thank you so much for the help and confirmation!This also means that this converter should be capable of breaking the database limit for MV if you break it in a VX Ace project and then convert. This may be a good thing to do if you know a project you're starting is going to require more than 2000 of something, until a database breaker for MV comes out. (But do beware that much larger databases can result in load time issues in certain functions in VX Ace, especially developer ones; We'll see how that plays out with the improved MV!)

Thanks again, and looking forward to MV more than ever now!

20. zadck

zadck Villager Member

I have some issues to report having had the chance to try it out myself now. TLDR: It worked when I didn't transfer my converted system file, system.json. Types is also new (Skills, weapons, elements, ect) as separated from Terms, and as such seem to have to be made remade (Are terms usually held in the system file for VX Ace?)

I did extensive troubleshooting, and apologize if this is difficult to read. I can clarify anything, and am willing to try anything to fix it as well.  I also learned that maps don't seem to be copying over correctly unless there is already a map of that number in the editor. This causes some issues with map organization, but is there is a simple work around it would seem, and this is how map file transfers work between VX Ace games anyway.

Upon initial conversion of my project, none of the files seemed to work successfully. I got an "unable to read file skills.json" upon opening the game in the editor, and actor one upon opening in HTML, and upon taking any individual file out of the MV project I transferred to it would give me a read error.

To verify that the converter was working at all, I made a new VX Ace project and transferred that. This worked!

To verify that my skills file would be able to transfer (Because you'd just done that, so it must work!) I dropped it, and only it, into the new RPG VX Ace project, ran the converter again, and then moved the new files over. The skills loaded this time!

I then tried taking my entire data folder from the old VX Ace project and dumping it into the new VX Ace project, then running the converter again. These .json's did not work, this time alterting me with the system.json. I did this again, and it also told me of failure trying to load system.json.

I decided to delete my scripts file from the old VX Ace project, and copy in one from a new VX Ace project. My thinking was that this was the only thing different from the old and new VX Ace project that was able to transfer. I then did a transfer again. This did not work, again failing to load system.json.

In a last ditch effort to make things work, I began to convert each file one at a time into a new VX Ace project, then transfer them to a new MV project. This was working. I then decided to transfer files that I'd converted before, one-by-one. This worked too! I then decided to transfer several at once--this caused the system.json to fail to be read again. I replaced system.json with the one that had been working before when transferring files individually, as I'd transferred a converted system.json. This made things work again.

Finally seeing the trend, I decided to transfer all of the converted files I had over to the MV project except for system.json. This worked.

Conclusion: Because of the major changes with the system tab, you'll have to redo that if you edited it extensively in your old VX Ace project. This may be why the brand new VX Ace project worked to transfer, but the old one did not, as I'd done edits to it. But that's all pretty minor stuff anyway. Also maps need to have files made in the editor when transferred to appear properly, but that's how map transferring works between VX Ace games anyway. I don't know why I got errors for actor.json and skills.json and item.json, however.

On a potentially unrelated note, I'm working on an older computer, and it seems to be crashing occasionally under the heavy load of my transferred database. Other MV projects work fine.