VX Ace to MV Converter

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by Shaz, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That is interesting - several of us have used the converter successfully, and I have been checking with each new release to see what things might have changed that could require changes to the converter, and have not come across anything.

Would you consider zipping up your whole Ace project for me so I can run the converter over it myself?  It's always possible that there are issues that we haven't come across simply due to projects being set up differently.  

2. zadck

zadck Villager Member

Sure! I'll go ahead and PM it to you.

3. yoda

yoda U Game Me (developer) - The dude that does stuff Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Now that the game is out, how do we get acces to this script?

4. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It is in the RPGmakerWebPlugins.zip folder, in the subfolder with my name.

stefan likes this.
  5. yoda

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you. :)

6. Disruption

Disruption Villager Member

First Language:
    Spanish
    Hi!

Were is that "RPGmakerWebPlugins.zip folder"? I'm trying to convert my existing ACE project to MV :)

7. slimmmeiske2

slimmmeiske2 Little Red Riding Hood Moderator

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    In the mail you got with the download link to MV.

8. Disruption

First Language:
    Spanish
    I bought the game through steam, so I didn't get any email :(

9. kaukusaki

kaukusaki Awesome Programmer Extraordinaire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    *does happy dance* I can't wait to upgrade everything! My fellows in the office think something's wrong with my face because I'm actually smiling (I rarely do lolz). Yay

10. slimmmeiske2

slimmmeiske2 Little Red Riding Hood Moderator

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    No worries, I just checked and they're in here: C: Program Files/Steam/SteamApps/common/RPG Maker MV/dlc

11. fm2107

fm2107 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    the convert is great, got my maps and events in, but for some reason 2 of the maps are crashing MV, its my world map and a map i use for testing different things, i made sure its calling tile sets that available in MV but it still crashing it,  cant delete them either 

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
  12. Disruption

First Language:
    Spanish
    Yay, thanks a lot! :D

13. Jennestia

Jennestia Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Japanese
    Tried it in one of my projects and it appears to error out on line 841, which references mapdata battlebacks and being as said project was converted from VX > Ace I wonder if that's the reasoning? Even removing all maps and scripts and certain database entries seems to still produce the error.

14. BlackswordGames

BlackswordGames Creator of Valcarta Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I am having some issues with the converter.
    I have, as another member here stated, used the converter successfully in a brand new Ace project.

However, when I input the converter into my working project, things change.

The main and up front issue that was noted is as follows:

line 1040:NoMethodError occurred.
    undefined method 'formula' for #<Hash:0x3c2f184>

For sanity sake line 1040 is:

if LOGSCRIPTS && obj.damage.formula.to_i.to_s != obj.damage.formulaif I turn LOGSCRIPTS = false, then I instead run into this error:

line 1046: NoMethodError occurred.
    undefined method 'critical' for #<Hash:0x3c1db00>

lin 1046 is as follows:

res = '{"critical":' + dmg.critical.to_s + ','Which is just the next line in the code block bypassing the if check.

Edit:
    Setting LOGGING = true, generates a .txt file name "_log" that is unpopulated when receiving this error.

Error occurs during compilation of the game screens via test play from the editor as well as normal, non-editor mode play.

With that said, the converter will create the .txt file listing all of the projects skills up to #340 and it stops. For the record, my skill database size is only 450. The .txt files appears to have all the information required.

I tried following, as someone else has said, converting files 1 by 1 by transferring them to a new project. Skills still has its hangups.

A similar issue occurs while it is trying to convert my maps.

line 841: TypeError occurred.
    can't convert nil into String.

map_data += '"battleback1Name":"' + map.battleback1_name + '",'This is fine and all, but it only gets to map42. map43 can be seen, accessed and editted in RPG Maker Ace just fine, so I'm not sure while this decided to be parse as nil. Based on the information the code is trying to grab, I went and made sure that DirtCave & DirtCave were both in the resources, etc. Changing either one of the battlebacks to a different image still yields the same error. To double check that it was still held up on this particular map, I did check the successfully converted files in the mv-data folder. Still stuck unable to bring over map43.

Edit 1:
    As it would seem, I have copied all the data over. MapInfos worked out in the converter just fine, holding all of my events and their positions, etc. which is very nice. That puts all the maps passed map42 in the game, just basically empty except events.

Everything else, so far, seems to converting as intended? But I have yet to open up all these files in MV to see if that is in fact true. Can I get some help on this? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
  15. yoda

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    1. Keep in mind, image and media data must match images/media being transferred. This means for bigger projects, you have to transfer/export media from Ace then transfer to MV or missing media files will bring up errors. In some cases maps are most important where you can just convert the map data and transfer the tile set and then manually update everything else. Depends on what is more important and what you are prepared to update manually.

2. Make sure you update your tile set sizes as they wont work at their current size if you have custom tiles.

3. I haven't had any real issues yet with any scripting or errors other than media data. Will post updates.

Thanks for the script Shaz, awesome job.

16. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey guys, I've just woken up not long ago and working my way through the forum.

I see there are a few issues with the converter, and I want to help you out with them, but it'll be just a little while before I can sit down and have a close look at what's going on for you all.

In the meantime, if you haven't already, could you please jump into the converter script and set those first three LOGGING options to true, run the converter again, and have the log file (not the scripts or comments one) ready to send through to me if/when I request it? I may also need to take a look at the whole project, or at the very least, the maps or database files that are causing the issues.

If you are getting errors when you load the project into MV and open it up, can you please state whether the errors are in the editor or when you're playing the game, and what the messages actually say? If you could edit your previous post and add those details, that'll be great!

Thanks for trying it out, and for being patient while we work out the flaws. I want to get you up and running in MV asap :)

Jennestia and BlackswordGames like this.
  17. starcrescendo

starcrescendo Stargazer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I looked through this thread, and from my understanding the converter does NOT automatically convert your resources so they are usable in MV, so are there any instructions on how to do so? Is it as simple as doing some math and stretching out the VX tiles to MV size? I'm still playing with MV but I wondered if anyone else had started converting some of their resources yet?

18. WhiteRice369

WhiteRice369 Newbie Lvl 2 Member

First Language:
    English
    I appologize for my noobness but I can't figure out where the Ace to MV Converter is. I preordered through the website and I read there should be a link in an email for this thing. I didn't see any links so I downloaded the trial and then activated with my activation code. How can I find the converter?

I rechecked my emails and even spam folder, I do have emails but none with a link for preorder stuff (I have my preorder email for order confirmation and stuff).

I also looked in the install directory for the converter but didn't see anything.

Any clarification is greatly appreciated!

19. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    For those who don't have it yet, the converter can be downloaded from pastebin here

@starcrescendo, there are several threads around on converting resources.  Please do some searching, and have a good read through each, as several methods have some drawbacks, so you'll need to inform yourself before choosing a method.

@WhiteRice369, the bonus content was removed temporarily due to issues, but will be readded as soon as they're sorted out.  In the meantime, you can grab the converter from the link above

I have not had time to look at the issues listed above yet.

WhiteRice369 likes this.
  20. yoda

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The process of re-sizing your tilesets are not simple at all. You will lose quality of your original images unless you have the original sizes done in photo shop at the highest quality level. Transparancies will be a pain unless again you have the original art work in high rez. HINT: The tilesets included in the game now are very well done and better than Ace by a long shot. Original art work will be best done from scratch if you don't have them done in high rez.

MV is great so far as the quality goes, your game will look so much better. I wasn't sure if getting the engine would be worth it at first if I decided against converting but now that I have it it is worth just owning it regardless if you decide against converting your projects.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2015