VX vs. MV?

Seafayste

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVX
Heyo, sorry if this is the wrong place I am very new to all this.

I recently wanted to get into rpg making for fun and tried the Lite version out of RPG Maker on Steam. I loved it and bought RPG Maker VX, but joining the forums and seeing how VX seems to be a little neglected and MV has much more tutorials for me to look at I'm starting to feel like I regret not putting in the extra $30 for MV instead. Is it way more worth it? I've been getting frustrated trying to learn VX and not having as much flexibility I feel like I want. Is MV much better?

Warilized

Random Encounter
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Imo MV has more utilites than VX.
MV is written in HTML5 which pretty much compatible with any device so you wouldn't need any converter to a certain extent.

MV is worth it because you can pretty much do anything VX can but better.

Black Pagan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, I have spent equal time making Games on both so here is my Perspective on it :

VX / VX Ace - Pros and Cons :
- Very simple, Which means you will be on your way to make your first Game in no time
- Uses Scripts and these can sometimes cause Serious bugs, Hindering Game progress
- Falls short on Mapping and Customization features for your Game
- Perfect for making Short Games, Database in some places is far more simpler than MV

MV - Pros and Cons :
- Has a Default side battle system and all the complex features that VX / VX Ace lacks
- Uses Built-in Plugin system, i,e, Better version of Scripts, Less Bugs and Way easier to use
- Because it has More Features, Takes much longer to Make / Plan / Test your Game
- Perfect for making Longer and Complex Games, Because it supports many Batches of Tilesets

I would personally recommend RPG Maker MV over all other RPG Maker Engines for everyone, for the simplest fact - MV has highest number of Custom resources / Built-in Resource Generators / Plugins available for it and you can get active support for it from others. There are people who have simply stopped using VX / VX Ace because MV is a better upgrade.

PS : Having said this, I must also say I would never have managed to learn MV if i had got it first, Because of its complexity. I'm glad i got VX Ace first and made some games with it, before moving on to MV. That taught me the Basics of the RPG Maker Engine.

Last edited:

ScorchedGround

Blizzards most disappointed fan
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A great of portion of people that use VX Ace are kind of bound to it because they started their major projects on VX Ace. And at that time MV did not even exist. And obviously they do not just want to abandon their flesh and blood because there is a new RPG Maker.

Then of course there are people that just prefer Ace over MV.
But as @Black Pagan said, Ace is more restrictive than MV and is more suited for shorter and less complex games.

So if you are freshly starting out, I would also recommend MV.
It certainly takes more time getting used to it, but it's not that difficult once you get the hang of it.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
As someone who has both, tested both and decided to stick with the old, VXAce, I did not see that "MV has more complex feature" than Ace. Granted, I could remember it wrong because I haven't installed MV in this computer yet to double-checked it. However, here is the main difference I could remember so far
  • In RMMV mapping, you could have two layers of upper mapping layer, while you only have one in VXA. However, mapping in MV is a little bit frustrating because instead of overwriting the tile, it just decide to stack it together and AFAIK you can not control this unless I missed a certain key feature. It doesn't happen in VXA because it will always overwrite the tile
  • In RMMV, you could have more region id than VXA, it was 64 in VXA and, IDK how you have in RMMV. 256 region id? But as far as I develop my game, I never need such a big region id.
  • The plugin is designed that way so that people who're new into the engine could just drop the code into the plugin folder and toggle it on/off for ease of use. In VXA, you have to copy the entire code/script manually and put it into the game code manually. For new people, this process could be daunting. Especially the script configuration needs you to type the configuration in a correct Ruby syntax sometimes. In MV, it has a neat WYSIWYG plugin configuration which is easier to use.
  • RMMV game is run in a browser, Chromium. Which means, it basically a web game. Being a web game means more portability because many platforms could open a web page.
If anyone could list the "MV has more complex features" more specifically, it could be better. I also forgot about it.

As for community difference
  • RMMV has the most support, so unless you know what you're doing, getting RMMV is the best choice as people are actively giving support than the older engines, which only has a handful of a few people giving support.
  • RGSS scripts are in decline. So the chance you're going to see a new script is so little. Many dead links ain't helping it either. Some people I know that are still using this engine specifically had adapted to create and edit their own script. Meanwhile, plugins are still being made in MV more than VXAce and below.
  • I don't know about the graphical resources as I don't follow them much (I have enough resources for my current project). But you could try to check how many DLC is being made. Or free resources.

Warilized

Random Encounter
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just adding what @TheoAllen missed.

VX is older than VXAce so it is more difficult to find newer and/or working plugin.
MV and VXAce is actually not that different in mapping and eventing. MV just had Quality of Life upgrades like Event Search, Plugin management, bigger database, JavaScript language, and portability.

Just like @Black Pagan said VX is suitable on a smaller scale game. MV can do smaller scale and bigger scale game. But it's more complicated in managing database.

Last edited:

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Did VX even have a Lite version? I thought that was only VX Ace.

VX is probably the last version that I would recommend to someone to buy, even behind the older XP and 2K/2K3.

If you want an RPG Maker but can't afford MV, my suggestion would be VX Ace (not VX). But if you can afford MV, go for MV.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Seafayste
As you can see from the answers above we need you to confirm what exactly you have purchased.
VX and VXA/VX Ace are two very different programs.

VX is (in most people's opinion) the worst RPG-Maker of all, even the older makers have more advantages to be used than VX)
VX Ace was an extreme improvement over VX and can be considered the second-best after MV (although there are quite a number of people who consider RMXP better than RMVXA, that is dependent on personal opinion and if you talk about mapping or databasing).

And as said above there is no Lite version of VX, only one of VXA.

So we need you to confirm which program you have before any advice.

Seafayste

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVX
@Black Pagan - I am new to RPG making as a whole and didn't do much research looking into the different versions. I did heavily enjoy VX Ace Lite however which is what made me want to purchase the game to begin with. As someone who has difficulty learning I thought buying the full version would be a great idea! It does make me feel a little better to know that people have both MV and VX and enjoy both for their differences. Tbh I really did want the default side battle system! That's the key feature I wish VX had lmao.

@Warilized - Oof that's what I was afraid of. I am a simple man, I know very little about scripting and plugins but am trying to learn. I notice the VX tutorials are very sparse, making it hard for me to even find many. The quality of life upgrades would be lovely for me to have as a noobie I feel.

@Shaz - Not just VX, I should have clarified. Steam offers a 'free' trial/lite version for Ace I downloaded earlier last week to try before I buy and went with just regular VX not knowing the difference. It has limited features and lots of them are locked off. It also bars you from licensing any games because it's free. Tbh it's all very confusing for me because as far as I know Steam has at least five different versions of this specific RPG maker in the store and it sort of overwhelmed me.

I can afford MV, but if I make the choice to never touch VX again I feel dang foolish to pouring $40 into something I did little research in. I guess I was just excited to buy and thought "Well I'm not TOO serious about this, might as well get the cheaper one!" haha.

@Andar - Yes yes, I do indeed own just VX (Ace is the more expensive of the two on Steam with MV being the highest).

V_Aero

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, the VX's features are very poor, compared by MV. But, when you're not taking it too seriously, as you said, the VX is still a great engine and you can do a lot. It's just much harder to create a game which feels more individual, as you won't have many plugins or resources. So a finished game would look like, well, a default VX game.

All in all, I did the upgrade to MV and don't regret it! But that's because I want a game with mechanics that are beyond what the Maker initially provides.

Seafayste

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVX
@V_Aero Definitely! I'm not looking to pour out a huge game or sell it, I just want to kinda mess around with the oc's and ideas me and my friend come up with. I have sadly, come to realize VX is very basic and perhaps too basic for my liking lol. I keep saying it and beating myself over it but I wish I did more research!

Being so new and not knowing much with the lack of resources and tutorials is what's making me frustrated with this program. I've been fiddling with the program and getting used to it but even a feature as basic as changing the battleback is hard for me to figure out how to do with VX when in the Ace Lite version it was right there infront of me.

As far as going beyond what the maker gives... are you talking about plugins and scripts? I'm not even sure where to add those in VX if I'm able to even do that at all, lol!

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
To make the matter worse for VX, their script is now gone. There was once a site dedicated for VX (rpgmakervx dot net) with a collection of scripts for it, however, it went to the void (the reason is kinda complicated, but it all boils down to the site host owner didn't care). And no one didn't even bother to salvage the script resources as Ace was better engine overall.

V_Aero

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As far as going beyond what the maker gives... are you talking about plugins and scripts? I'm not even sure where to add those in VX if I'm able to even do that at all, lol!
In VX, Ace and XP these are called scripts, in MV plugins. In the end there are almost the same.

In VX, the button to go to the scripts is in the upper right, next to database and testplay and so on. There you will find a text editor with lots of text files.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The one advantage to owning both VX and VXAce is you can legally use resources for one in the other engine. So at worse you spent $40 for a soundtrack collection if you do decide to get both.

I personally own all of the RPGMakers that have been brought stateside, though I'll probably never dev in 2000 or 2003. But I can now use their resources if I wish as well in my game, though I may need to convert it.

Steam should have a summer sale in June sometime, they always do. I'd just wait until then and get both ACE and MV, they should be affordable then. Use the time until then to learn eventing and such in VX and how to do the basics.

Seafayste

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVX
@TheoAllen - Ahk! Yeah I was definitely trying to look up scripts a couple of days ago but couldn't find much for VX alone. All for Ace and MV. Suppose I don't blame the host with all these newer better versions coming out.

@V_Aero - Thank you for clarifying! That's so unfortunate it's not longer supported. I read many of the Steam reviews but MOST of them seemed positive and don't recall seeing the lack of support. That was actually my first time opening the script editor lol.

@bgillisp - I do enjoy a lot of the music in VX. I was kind of thinking about the summer sale but was unsure if it was going to go sale since it's considered a 'software' and not really a game. I'll wait til then! Learning VX has been fun but once again difficult because the lack of tutorials and support on the internet.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Steam offers a 'free' trial/lite version for Ace I downloaded earlier last week to try before I buy and went with just regular VX not knowing the difference.
Ah, that makes sense. However, the trial version is not 'Lite'. Ace is the only RPG Maker that had a 'Lite' version, and it also had a trial version. The trial gives you access to everything, but only for a limited time. The Lite version was not limited by time, but you could only have a maximum number of items in each database tab (10), a maximum number of maps (10), a maximum number of events on each map (10), and no access to scripts.

You can certainly use VX and make a game with it. Many people have. It's not being used as much as Ace and MV anymore, but you can still get support for it here. There are a few differences between VX and the later versions (areas/regions on maps for enemies, only one tileset for the entire game, etc) and you probably won't see any/many new scripts being released for it. But what you learn by using it can be applied to Ace or MV if you decide to get either of those in the future.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Andar - Yes yes, I do indeed own just VX (Ace is the more expensive of the two on Steam with MV being the highest).
In that case I strongly suggest watching
IsThereAnyDeal.com
until you get either Ace or MV from a sale (Ace is usually available for less than 10$ multiple times a year somewhere, MV is still a bit more expensive even on a sale)

Restart

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
MV is available for ~$20 every few months, I think earlier this year it was like 15 dollars or something. There's a one month free trial for MV as well if you just want to screw around with it and see how you like the editor

Leokids

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVX
Let me Talk About It.

VX/VX Ace: Simple For Everyone. Better Than MV If You Hate MV.

MV: Also Simple but a Little Complex. Better If You Wish to Port Your Game To Mobile or Want Better Graphics

This Means That MV IS Better than VX/VX Ace.

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
MV is arguably better for the following reasons:
  1. It's the most recent so it has the most support
  2. There's a ton of resources (plugins, etc) out there for it
  3. It's deployable to multiple platforms
  4. It uses windowed fullscreen instead of fixed ratio fullscreen from the 1990s.
:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Is it strange that dropping acid is improving my game development?
I'm starting to wonder if I should go the Half Minute Hero route with my game. The character's main weapon is logistically way too strong. So I can't really let the player continuously grow it.... But if they had to build it up each time like HMH, that could work. Also it lets me take advantage of my randomly generated maps so much more. Hmm... This could work! :LZSexcite:
std::vector, std::map and std::string. Three reasons why I'd take C++ over C. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nutsackjack