Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
N/A
YIA'S FF1 Character Selection 1.0

by YesImAaron

INTRODUCTION

Hello everyone! This is my first public script. I first came up with idea to make this script after seeing many people request it at my old forum. A lot of people would just say, oh just event it (which I did do at one point!). And i do believe that is always a good idea also, try eventing it before asking for a script. However, I wanted to contribute something, and I've been working on my ruby chops so here I am to bring you my Final Fantasy 1 Character Selection script. This is script is built off of tkblackknights script TBK_JOB_CHANGER (link at the bottom). I modified it and added to it to allow for certain aspects to work more like Final Fantasy 1.

FEATURES

What this script does is creates a menu that allows the player to change each persons class and name. It is designed to be at the start of the game (like in FF1).

- Change's actor's graphics based on their class

- Allows the player to choose their character's names

- Menu is set up to look much like FF1 (specifically the GBA version)

- Easy to implement

- In my opinion...it's pretty awesome!

Screenshots

HOW TO USE

Make sure to place above main but below everything else! Included in the demo is an upgraded Name Input Processing script made by Logan Forrest. THIS IS NOT REQUIRED! If you decide you DON'T want to use the advanced Name Input Processing script, then you must go into the script editor, go to YIA FF1 Character Select. Scroll down to line 439 class Scene_Name and uncomment it. (See below code segmant in spoiler) If you decide you do want to use the Name Input Processing Script, I HIGHLY suggest taking it directly from the demo because there were a few bugs in the script that I had to fix to make it work. Be warned though, the Name Input Processing script is NOT my script so I will not provide support for it outside of making it work with my script.

To make the graphics work properly (change when the class changes), you must make sure to have the proper character and face graphics in their respective folders. For example,

say you want to have a Warrior class. In order for it to work properly, you must have a sprite graphic in your GRAPHIC/CHARACTERS folder called $class_warrior.png and a face graphic in your GRAPHIC/FACES folder called $class_warrior_face.png. So the format for each graphic is $class_classname.png for the sprites and $class_classname_face.png for the face set.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# IF YOU DON'T USE THE EXPANDED NAME INPUT SCRIPT THEN YOU MUST
# UNCOMMENT THIS SECTION OF CODE!!!!
#-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#~ class Scene_Name < Scene_Base
#~ #--------------------------------------------------------------------------
#~ # * Return to Original Screen
#~ #--------------------------------------------------------------------------
#~ alias asc_return_scene return_scene
#~ def return_scene
#~ $scene = Scene_ASC.new
#~ end
#~ end

Code:
DEMO

http://www.mediafire...yodo4wg2rjrnca2

Script

See the demo

FAQ

Q: I get an error when I try to change my character's class!

A: Make sure you have the proper graphics inside the proper folders for each class you want. Example:

if you want to have a warrior class, then inside the GRAPHICS/CHARACTER folder, you must a file called

$class_warrior.png and in the GRAPHICS/FACE folder, you must have a file called $class_warrior_face.png

Q: I'm not using Logan Forrest's upgraded Name Input Script, but whenever I exit the Name Input screen it exits the Character Selection Menu!

A: Make sure you uncommented the proper lines of code from the YIA FF1 Character Select script. (look above for instructions).

Q: I found a bug and it broke everything and the world is about to collapse!

A: message me and I'll try to fix it!

IF USED YOU MUST CREDIT

YesImAaron

tkblackknight (for his original script without it this one would not be possible!) http://www.rpgmakerv...870

Enelvon (helped put certain features in tkblackknights script)

IF YOU USE THE UPGRADED NAME INPUT PROCESSING YOU MUST ALSO CREDIT

Logan Forrest

Alan Skorkin

Chris Pound

Motoyuki Kasahara

original script can be found here: http://rmrk.net/inde...ic,44971.0.html

SPECIAL THANKS TO

Neon Black for helping me out with properly calling the Scene_Name through a script

AUTHOR'S NOTE'S

Enjoy and let me know what you think! Please report any bugs and I'll attempt to fix them.

SOC

Be your own hero
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This IS pretty awesome.

YesImAaron

Web Designer
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
N/A
I just realized that in the demo i left out the character graphic for the Thief class, so if you're testing the demo and choose thief you'll get an error that will crash the game. This is the error I described in the OP! So if you get this error on your own, like I said, make sure you have the correct graphic in the correct folder

InfinateX

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
This is very nice. While there may be many scripts like this one, I feel you've gone a little bit further than most with yours. Even if it is themed after a game.

Blue001

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Wow, i wish this was available for VX Ace. I would use it in a heartbeat.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I THINK I have a slightly better grasp on drawing my maps now... sorta. I still need to figure out how to draw a city of sorts. I've only got the abstract going so far.
One day, I'll not have this lingering cough and we'll have another make a game stream.
A music I create while practicing E Major scale. :D
Too bad the Boss Battle Build Bout isn't also for VXAce.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Valenn