[VXA] Sideview Presentation of Map Events

Discussion in 'RGSS3 Script Requests' started by dinobeat, May 5, 2014.

1. dinobeat

dinobeat Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    [VXA] Sideview Presentation of Map Events

Hi, I've been tinkering with an idea for the past months, mostly on the conceptual level, but also trying to bridge the gap between learning by tutorials and code and what I can actually do. While I haven't made much progress in the former (my work schedule provides little in the way of free time), I did manage so far to test run some of the ideas I'll expose.

Basically, this is a script request for a game that aims to simulate bite-sized gaming, RPGs and roguelikes but primarily, for any scripter kind enough to help or at least to kickstart me in the right direction, it's mostly a visual script. There are no in-depth class, racial or trait databases nor endless item, spell or equipment variations to handle. What it aims to do is offer players a randomly generated set of levels for players to explore, finding combat and treasure, but visualized through a compact set of identifiers: a minimap, minimal HUD and a sideways representation of what's happening in the game (in a way, it almost feels like playing in a Nintendo DS, minus the stylus). In essence, "translating" what's happening in the map into various windows.

Here's a mockup of what I'm trying to achieve, with a quick description:

[​IMG]

1 - Life and Experience point gauges (I have already done these).
    2 - Item slots (most similar to older Zelda games in function; but in this case there is no menu so all items are one time use only, each actived with different buttons).
    3 - Minimap (already done this as well, coupled with a step by step script where all enemies only move after the player does).
    4 - A window showcasing a level name upon level start, and then only providing text whenever players can perform an action (such as touching an item and being told to get it with X button).
    5 - My main roadblock. In short, here's how it would (hopefully) work:

Wherever the player is at any given moment, and whatever enemy the player is touching at any given moment, the game will redraw the tile, sprite and enemy on the new window, with the end result suggesting a side-scrolling adventure:

[​IMG]   [​IMG]

(Left: a traditional view of a RMK map. Right: the game's redrawing of items on the map into the side-scrolling window).

Whatever tile players are standing on, the game would redraw it as seen above. Whatever direction the player is going, the game would redraw the sprite (to suggest a small continuous adventure, PC sprites will only have left to right walking animation regardless of player input in terms of direction). If players touch an enemy  (necessary for combat to start), the enemy is framed to the right of the player (opposite to PC's, enemy frames are done with right to left animations). Attack animations *should* also play in this window, though to keep things easy these anims are very simple, and are mostly shared between characters and enemies (exceptions are the use of items, though these are reserved for the player). This also applies to events such as items or chests.

Note: character frames were decided to be this way to minimize work load, to fit into the small narrative on the side-scrolling window, and it gets rid of a potential issue wherein players pressing different directions on the map would see the sprite copy in the window doing the same. Since the player will theoretically never see what happens on the map, there's no need to have, say, a traditional charset for the map and a specific side-view one for the window: it's using the same.

Note 2: If one looks at point 5 in the image, they'll see a background. I might have a problem as not only is the background supposed to move (but the image is always the same), I'm not sure how I'd include it in the window.

By the way: the use of several windows also means that the "action" (ie., players exploring and fighting in dungeons) is happening in realtime below the windows. I wonder if this might provide lag? So far, with just the HP/XP gauges and minimap, it doesn't seem to.

Scripts used at the moment (so far, none seem to be incompatible):

*Kal's "Turn Movement";
    *KMS_MiniMap;
    *Soulpour's Limited Screen. (so later I can reduce the playing view, retaining only the required elements).
    *Small custom HUD.

Short of finding a turn-based combat system that simulates a roguelike (I've seen some of them, though I still need to playtest them), this is really my main issue. There are enough random map scripts to study already, so that's not much of a concern now. Regarding combat, I think it makes for an interesting take on things: players can "see" foes but will never know what they're dealing with until they're face to face with danger. I find that interesting since, coupled with the level and item randomness, and the limited item use, it's something else players need to plan ahead.

Thank you for your time, really (really!) looking forward to any help :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2014
    JosephSeraph likes this.
  2. somuchrainbow

somuchrainbow Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'm not at my computer right now, so I'm not gonna post direct links, but...

For a roguelike system, there isn't one for VXA to my knowledge. However there was ORBS for VX. Maybe you could find someone to convert that?

Also I remember in VX there was a script called "Paper Mario Walk" or something along those lines that could be used for the movement on the left example you gave.

Again, throwing out ideas. Its a complicated request overall. In the end you're gonna have to make a few script requests anyway.

Will research this more though, hope I helped at least a little.

~Saturn

3. dinobeat

dinobeat Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Hi Saturn, thanks! I checked out Paper Mario Walk; although I understand the gist of it, it seems unnecessary to include a different script for a visual effect easilly achieved by simply replicating the same character movesets for an entire sprite sheet. Because in this would be system, since players would never see the main actor on the map (only the sideview of him and enemies), it doesn't really matter if the movement is locked or not (players would still move in all four directions, of course).

4. dinobeat

dinobeat Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    So.

As I stated earlier, the goal was to have a two-sided view of things. On one hand, there would be a minimap, showcasing enemy, item and other assorted elements on the map. On the other, I'd like there to be a second panel with a "mini-narrative" or mini-theater to it. But while I could not code to save my life, I think I found a way, or at least a starting point, for this.

[​IMG]

(The single map with all events).

I discovered Napoleon' Minimap script for VX Ace and decided to try it. To my surprise his system can run along with KMS's minimap, and it can feed "false info" to the game as it runs on a picture of a map, not the map itself. This led me to wonder: what if I use a different map altogether as a minimap? And that's more or less how it got interesting.

[​IMG]

(Off to a rolling start. The major obstacles of presentation are dealt with. Unfortunately I haven't found a way to animate the lower minimap, so as to give a sense of movement).

After repositioning the Minimap, I still had to find a way to have a copycat, or at least a suggestion, of a player character on the minimap. To start with I did my best to hide the cursor. It was only until I found TDS's "Move Event with Player" that something else flared: if I make an event mimic the players movement (while keeping its spritesheet as I wanted, ie., always facing right), then that might work (on a personal note, I may instead opt for left and right motions). So it's setup in a way that:

*Actual player character is still controllable on the world map.
    *KMS's minimap shows the events in the world map.
    *Napoleon's minimap is running on a 128*96 image.
    *An event also mimicking the player character is running on top of Nap's minimap.
    *Whatever the player character touches is actually displayed on the minimap (unfortunately, the graphic will stay there until players touch something else, as I haven't found a way to work around this).
    *Soulpour's Limited Screen narrows the viewing field and obscures whatever sprites may be under it (because of this I believe, events, from player characters to enemies, don't even need specific graphics, thus saving extra pixel work).
    *A faux interface (a user made picture) runs on top of things.

[​IMG]

(An event being touched, and being presented on the second minimap. Regardless of the direction they are touched from, enemy events are always facing left, towards the player character's visual understudy).

And broken, unfinished and sloppy as it may be, I'm kind of proud, if only for the workarounds I found to get there. Here are the project files, if anyone's interested.

*Some notes:

-Due to how it's setup, I'm not sure this can make use of random map scripts :/
    -There is an issue wherein calling the traditional menu, Napoleon's Minimap will move into a different place entirely, even inside the menu. I wasn't planning on using the Menu either way, but still.
    -The small intro text was made with DP3 / DiamondandPlatinum3's "Play Game Whilst Displaying a Window". I couldn't quite get Modern Algebra's ATS or Yanfly's Message System to work (my own fault, of course). The tradeoff (?) seems to be I can't change the words' opacity, though that's not a real issue.
    -Also, DP3's method can be applied to Touch events, but I've hit all kinds of problems. The idea is to alert players they can perfom an action (pick up items, etc.) while standing next or over them, but I couldn't find a way to make the text run concurrent with other page events without getting in the way of it... And it seemed excessive to create a Common Event just for that, though in hindsight that might be a good method.
    -Because it's not running on actual map data, it's trickier to have things like traps.
    -And... There's no combat. I was having marginal success with ABS systems but a ruthless combination of too many things to toggle and my inexperience haven't got me nowhere. Besides, my idea for combat seems too simple for such large scripts, though a bit more complex than I could make alone.

And on a final note, this might be where this idea ends. My working hours are too long for me to dedicate any spare time to VX Ace :/ I might try going further in it but that may go nowhere.

Oh. If anyone does download the project, the upper right chest is set to give the player character 10 HP's while the one immediately below will shave off 10 HP's. The bottom left stone will give 10 XP. These were meant to test the HUD.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2014
  5. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    dinobeat, please avoid double posting, as it is against the forum rules. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

If nobody else has posted after you, and it's less than 3 days since your last post, please use the Edit button instead, to add extra information to your last post.

6. Marillmau5

Marillmau5 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    This is a great concept i hope someone helps you.  BD

From my experience in the minecraft modding forums the best thing to do is really hash out your idea on the forum post, then make a banner for your idea and just be really active on the forums. Eventually tons of people will see your request other than just this post with out having the option of bumping it even after so long.

7. LUNARMAX

LUNARMAX Villager Member

How about doing 'everevent' for ABS that will make all events to move whether you uses skill or item?

8. MeowFace

MeowFace Meow Veteran

First Language:
    Meowish
    @LUNARMAX Have you realize you are trying to revive an year old topic? ;)

What the OP want is already out there in the master script list, both the random dungeons and the rogue-like movement.

I've made a script for rogue-like movement as well, if that's what you are looking for you can give it a try.

9. LUNARMAX

LUNARMAX Villager Member

I only thought that this script system would be great to use in my project