Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hey All!

I started getting into Parallax mapping, and really diving into beautiful map designs, but as with all layered mapping it comes at the cost of FPS.

Currently, I've not installed ANY FPS or Optimization scripts that might help reduce lag and resources uses overall.

I'm currently wondering what are the must-have's for Parallax mappers? Are there any noteworthy optimization scripts that I should be using or looking into to make sure that my project is handling events and layers the best way?

I haven't had any MAJOR problems, just some dips now that there is more for the project to handle - so I wanted to be on the look out for these scripts going forward.

vietanhdang2017

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think you should use MV. VXAce has a lots issue. I made game with it before.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@vietanhdang2017 unfortunately the fact that parallax maps are RAM-hungry has nothing to do with the engine itself. More modern engines do a few things better, but they can't change the data amount.

@Noamancy you need to give details before someone can help. There have been some optimizations available, but lag has many causes and you can only fight the cause, not lag in general.
for example what is the largest parallax map you have, and what is the size of the map where you have the greatest lag?

Noamancy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@vietanhdang2017 unfortunately the fact that parallax maps are RAM-hungry has nothing to do with the engine itself. More modern engines do a few things better, but they can't change the data amount.

@Noamancy you need to give details before someone can help. There have been some optimizations available, but lag has many causes and you can only fight the cause, not lag in general.
for example what is the largest parallax map you have, and what is the size of the map where you have the greatest lag?

@vietanhdang2017 - Yeah, I'm going to stick with VXAce for this one. I intend to do a separate project in MV some day - but I really prefer VXAce overall. I'm a Ruby lover.

---------------

As for details, I apologize for not including them. Mostly, because I don't actually have many problems! I think my largest map is like 35x45? - mostly because I like doing small map areas that connect through transfer events. So I don't intend to really have big-open world maps.

But my question came from reading CVincent's Mapping Guide ;; which's recommended a script that had a broken link:

capture.PNG

With the date of the thread I was just making sure there wasn't any Parallax must-haves, or optional I should keep an eye out for when I have issues.

The only thing that has happened so far is a noticeable drop in frames when adding Animated Parallaxes to a map, such as water? It wasn't enough to create stuttering or make it unplayable, and I'm adding an FPS script to get the exact number. But it's still very playable.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
1) the limit when parallaxes begin to affect lag depends on the cmputer, but is usually considered to be 100x100 tiles, so you're a long way away from that.

2) you'll need animated parallaxes for things like animated grass, but for water there is a much simpler solution: just use the animated water from tileset A, and have the regular parallax ground be transparent on those positions.

3) Source left the community at some time and Effectus became unavailable when that happened.

Noamancy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
1) the limit when parallaxes begin to affect lag depends on the cmputer, but is usually considered to be 100x100 tiles, so you're a long way away from that.

2) you'll need animated parallaxes for things like animated grass, but for water there is a much simpler solution: just use the animated water from tileset A, and have the regular parallax ground be transparent on those positions.

3) Source left the community at some time and Effectus became unavailable when that happened.

Thanks Andar, that's actually REALLY solid advice. I might actually give that a go and see if I can make some good effects that way. I just really enjoyed the water effect I created. But I might see how this looks and judge ways to optimize it. Thank you for giving me the title limit - I do plan to keep my maps below the 100 tile mark. If I get close to that, I'm going to just make a new map and transfer - I feel like there's nothing wrong with transitioning to new zones and such to create large areas. I find it more fun to be honest, having like 1 map that connects to 3 others and you have to explore each one to figure out where to go and such.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Slapped together a title screen and working on some dungeon clutter + portraits for Dubhghaill and Einar. Usual CW for minor body horror wrt Einar
QVLJIgD.png

OaPcYUy.png

r55FiUJ.png

EIgO94y.png
cT1V4nb.png
>studying for months for an exam
>does exam
>waits 3 months for the results to come out
>me trying to login, incorrect password
>I get recovery password
>me trying to login, incorrect password

What the heck. As a son of a Karen, I'm going to file a few complaints.
Apparently Amazon Prime users get free Genshin Impact stuff like primogems and whatnot every month, but I'm not sure I ever want to fall into the abyss of F2P ever again.
Doing RPG Maker News for 26th Nov to 2nd Dec (2021)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AryaMaster