Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Egyptian Arabic
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello everyone,

So my most recent project greatly focuses on alchemy and crafting potions, medicines and the like. While there are a lot of alchemy systems out there, both scripted and evented, none of them really seemed interesting to me. ^^; Most just depended on collecting ingredients, calling some menu, clicking a button and voila, you have your potion. XD So I was hoping for something more interesting.

Please look with me at this hand-drawn picture (please excuse the lack of resources, this is the best I can do to clarify my idea ^^):

Now please let me explain this thoroughly. ^^

My idea of making an alchemy system a little more appealing is as follows, or we can call it the concept:

Say we need to make Item 1, which needs ingredients A, B and C. The player is required to collect these ingredients from various maps. Once that's done and the crafting process starts, he's brought this scene.

The crafting process itself is a mini-game. In the bottom bar, random icons of various ingredients (some being unneeded,) are scrolling horizontally (yes, you consider the red balls the ingredients XD.) Now the player just needs A, B and C in that order. He waits until said ingredients passes through the circle in the center and then he has to click A (space, Enter-doesn't really matter,) in order for the ingredient to be checked on the right panel of the screen. Once all three are checked, the player is given his item. :D

Now the features, or the little details:

• The player is given the limit of one mistake. If he makes more than one mistake while clicking to choose, the item fails to be created, and he loses all the ingredients he had collected.
  • You can see a mortar and a pestle in the middle of the screen. I think it would look great if every time the player chooses an ingredient correctly, the picture can be changed for a moment to show the pestle moving, and then returns to normal.
  • The main hero's face is shown at the top left of the screen.

I know I talked a lot, and it sounds like a large script, but I think it would be a very useful script for all and a new approach on alchemy systems. ^^ Finally, my imagination on how to make things actually work (just to help out whoever would be kind enough to try this out ^^):

• One picture is used for the layout of the screen (something like the hand-drawn picture above,) and can be changed through the script. Another picture to show the pestle moving that's automatically changed when a correct ingredient is added.
  • The items to be used as ingredients can be labeled somehow? Like writing a code in the Notes section or something, so items labeled as such are shown randomly in the scrolling horizontal bar by their icons.

I'm finally done. Sorry if this seems like a lot. I just tried to be as detailed as possible. ^^

Thank you very much. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Miss Nile

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Egyptian Arabic
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ahh I took a look at that and yup, it's similar in a way, I suppose. ^^

FeaR616

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
ooh, I really like this idea of alchemy!! +_+

at the moment, I use Kread-EX Alchemic Synthesis Script and like it pretty well. but if this here would become true, I would definitely use it! XD

but I have some points to comment, I don't like the idea that the complete process fails, if one (or more) ingredient is false. I mean... everything could lead to something unexpected! and if it's only some "dirt" or something you can sell for a small coin. 

to determine which ingredients produce what item, I think Kread-EX method with the notetags is the best... in my opinion... 

yeah... well, thats all I have to say for the moment ^^

Miss Nile

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Egyptian Arabic
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for the support, Fear. ^^ I do disagree about having the progress fail though-there has to be a punishment (that sounds a bit harsh XD) to the player for not focusing during the crafting process. Perhaps the script can customize the times the player is allowed to fail though.

FeaR616

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
it could be a PUNISH-switch! XD

if this switch is on, the player have X attempts to fail and get nothing out of it. the user would set up X ... in your case 1 ^^

and if the switch is off, the player get something different, nothing of high value, he could sell it for 1 gold or something, but so it is not nothing! 

Miss Nile

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Egyptian Arabic
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Haha, I like the ideas storming through this thread. XD That sounds like a good approach. ^^

Hopefully, someone can help us out with this script. XD

FeaR616

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
yeah, sounds really good at all! =D

but for now I'm a bit tired...

would be awesome if someone could script this =3

Miss Nile

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Egyptian Arabic
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for the support, Fear. I truly appreciate it. ^^

And this makes the two of us for wanting this script. XD

FeaR616

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
this is very nice to hear! =)

and yeah, this script could and would be really awesome! XD

I can totally imagine how smooth and nice it works... =3

Miss Nile

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Egyptian Arabic
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Bumping this. ^^ Just thought I should say, I can map for anyone who's willing to take this in return. ^^ I'm a decent mapper, and I can map for both RPG Maker XP and VXAce. Here are examples of my work,

The houses have been edited with Mack's roof tiles.

And I can provide more examples if anyone is interested. :) Thank you!

Miss Nile

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Egyptian Arabic
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Rie

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
BI-EN
Primarily Uses
Nice idea you have.. :)
If only I'm a scripter, I would try to help. But I'm a visual artist-type too. Script is the only my nightmare. Just reading the instruction already made me have a headache.
I hope someone will make it come true for you. Best of luck..

Miss Nile

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Egyptian Arabic
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks a lot for the support, Rie. I truly appreciate it. :)

Miss Nile

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Egyptian Arabic
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Thinking about picking up Luna Engine, but also wondering if I should wait to see if it goes on sale.
So looks like the last Star Wars movie sucked. We feared George would kill his own legacy after Episode 1. But look like he handed off to others to put it out of its misery. Does that count as assisted suicide?
Brother made thumbnails for my Lets Plays. He's a swood dude.
Since I'm getting so busy (the fact that I'm often here is due to the fact that this is my procrastination #1 destination), I'm trying a new system where everyday I dedicate 30 minutes to my personal game project. That way it won't fall into the abyss.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marsa16