Waifu2x now has options

Discussion in 'Useful Development Tools' started by Leon Kennedy, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Leon Kennedy

Leon Kennedy Restaff Novice Restaff

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Originally waifu2x didn't have options for the streching of pictures it was 1.6x or 2x only now it does have the options.

Seeing so many asking for vxa to mv conversion I decided to make this short thread but can be used for any maker basically.

My example will show vxa to mv but this can be used any way you like. First off go to here http://waifu2x.me/

For magnification that will be how much larger the image will be.

For example vxa to mv you want the image 1.5x larger so enter "1.5".

Don't mess with the quality or compression just let waifu do it's thing. Then download the image[as the regular downloader hasn't been working well lately just use the bulk downloader for the zip.]

There ya go image is larger with low amounts of stretch!

2. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That's kinda cute - I like the style. Did you try it with autotiles to see how seamlessly they tile? (I'm converting mine now - will wait until they're all done before I take a look)

edit ... oh wow, I love this! Got tiles from a few areas converted and I love the way they look in MV! Some of the autotiles are not quite right, but with the simplified style, even I might be able to touch those up myself.

thanks so much for posting this! You may have just saved me several months of work!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    GrandmaDeb and Leon Kennedy like this.
  3. Leon Kennedy

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yes it's quite wonderful, goodbye free transform and repairing the pixels. With this 98% of the work is done like you said might need to be a few fixes. Now the vxa-mv or whatever maker you want conversion is a few clicks away!

Shaz likes this.
  4. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Tiles almost done. Then I have to do characters, faces, parallaxes and title. Everything else I'll do using MV resources, if I actually use them at all.

Aww crumbs! I have just one area left to go in tiles, and it keeps giving me a 504 error. Maybe I made it work too hard :(

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    GrandmaDeb and Leon Kennedy like this.
  5. Dankovsky

Dankovsky Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    RU
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That's great news! Just yesterday I spent half a day upscaling tiles with different programs and methods.

The converted tiles look great if a bit blurry, although there do seem to be seams in some tiles unfortunately. Here's my result:

WAIFU2X 1.5x

[​IMG]

And here's a sample image for comparison from the method I was using - no visible seams, but more pixelated.

RTP Scaler

[​IMG]

Oscar92player and Leon Kennedy like this.
  6. Sleepy Kitten Games

Sleepy Kitten Games Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    For me, I set the Noise Reduction to High (instead of Highest). Did nicely for upscaling and keeping the details (instead of making it look way too smooth, like it did when I kept Noise Reduction at Highest), and looks pretty much exactly the same as using the older version of waifu2x to upscale 2x and then use GIMP to resize to MV size.

7. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've been getting timeout errors every time I try for the last 24+ hours. I can't even get a single image to convert, much less a batch of them! Is this a common thing? Any suggestions for better success?

8. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I'm having the same problem. Thought it was me.

9. Sleepy Kitten Games

Sleepy Kitten Games Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah, getting the same error now.
    Which is weird, it was working yesterday.

Leon Kennedy likes this.
  10. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    not for me. All day yesterday it was glitching. If I posted a batch of 10, at least a third of them had the timeout error. If I posted them one by one (which I don't plan to do for all the images I need converted), it would timeout on just the one. :(

11. Leon Kennedy

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It acted funny a couple of times then it worked for me. It does say "if conversion fails try again after awhile", maybe they have some sort of unspoken limit.

12. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    it worked for a while this morning, but it's broken again now :(

I did discover that you can just re-drag the ones it didn't convert and try again, rather than doing all of them again. In the bulk download, it only includes those that were successfully converted.

13. Dankovsky

First Language:
    RU
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I reckon they have some sever overloading issues since everyone's excited by the change. There's probably lots of people all over the world batch upscaling thousands of images.

14. Leon Kennedy

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That's good! And it takes 1/8th of the time! @Shaz So sorry to hear. Maybe Dankovsky is right maybe its overloaded because non rm users probably use this tool like clockwork as well and now all us are spamming it.

15. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I put in ALL of my tileset images, but it stopped at 30 and said that was the maximum. So people will be limited to that size batches.

16. Leon Kennedy

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    About the seams, have you tried gamefires method of just using high instead of highest? I think he was implying it didn't have seams. [this isnt really a reply to what you said here but in that other thread lol]

17. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    haha - I'm trying to give that method a go, but it won't convert my files :D

I like the style of highest, but I lose my water animation on almost all my maps - the ripples are all lost, so I've got to take it down at least one notch.

Leon Kennedy likes this.
  18. Dankovsky

First Language:
    RU
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I only tried this with noise reduction set to none. Does setting it to high provide seamless tilesets? I'm mostly concerned about seams that you can see in the screenshot above :(

19. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    There is an update:

They are also offering a paid service, but there is not much in the way of explanation ...
    https://mng.waifu2x.me/price/

I have no idea what any of that means. Is anyone able to decipher it? Is there anything that indicates I can do batches larger than 30 at a time?

The free service does seem to be behaving a little bit better for me this morning, so they must have given it a bit more grunt.

Edit ... okay, I've been able to convert my character and tileset for one map with all noise reduction settings. The best results, for me, for this tileset, are None or Highest. All the others mess up the autotiling. Though highest makes most of my water flat. As long as other maps are the same, I think I'll go with None!

Original VX Ace map:
    [​IMG]

Highest:
    [​IMG]

High:
    [​IMG]

Medium:
    [​IMG]

Low:
    [​IMG]

None:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    Dankovsky likes this.
  20. Leon Kennedy

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    They all look nice its a shame on the autotiles but it can always be used just fine with like sprites and standard non-auto tiles :)