Waifu2x now has options

Discussion in 'Useful Development Tools' started by Leon Kennedy, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah - this update is a lifesaver for me! I really didn't want to replace all the tiles in my tilesheets with MV-sized images (had started and it was slow and difficult - long road ahead), and I really didn't want to redo all my maps with MV tiles. Now I can skip all of that and get straight into the meat of the game!

edit: Okay, for those of you who are thinking about it, do not bother with the paid version.

I threw $10 at it, which would get me about an hour of high speed, high MB access. I've used a little over half of it. It takes a few minutes to turn on the instance - I'm not sure if that counts as usage, or if the clock only starts ticking from the the time the instance is running.

Pros: it's really fast, and I got absolutely NO "processing" errors (meaning everything I loaded was converted, first time). That's it.

Cons: F5 in the free version gives me a blank slate to start over. I have to reselect my settings, but the drag/drop window is empty. In the paid version, this doesn't happen. My settings are reselected, but the drag/drop window still contains what was previously processed. If I add more then do a bulk download, the stuff I downloaded last time is included. So to process and download batches of files, I have to do the first batch and download it, then I have to delete the images, one by one, so they don't get included in the next batch. F5 doesn't clear them, and there is no "delete all" button.

I would like to say the quality isn't as good as the free version, but it seems weird that they would use a different algorithm. I need to rerun some tilesets through the free version at "none" and see if I get the same artifacts. They sure didn't look to be there on the test tileset I did at all the different settings, so I don't know if it's this particular tileset or not.

It doesn't seem able to handle semi-transparency. Character sprites that were semi transparent were fully opaque (talking about a green see-through barrier from one of the packs, was no longer see-through after conversion). In addition, the full background transparency was removed on a large number of images. Some it would make completely black, some would be completely white, and some were white around the tiles, and black in the open areas, where all should have been transparent.

So it might be faster, but the quality is poor. I will be sticking with the free version for the time being.

Here's what it did to a part of my title screen - original, and converted ...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    Oscar92player and Leon Kennedy like this.
  2. Oscar92player

Oscar92player Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Sure this Waifu2x update will save a lot of time editing the size of the Tilesets and other graphics resources for MV (and trust me, when you've worked in a project in VX/VX Ace for years, you have a lot of edits to do). I will try it as soon as possible.

Thanks for sharing!

3. Leon Kennedy

Leon Kennedy Restaff Novice Restaff

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    No problem! Glad this will help everyone! @Shaz I was wondering do you know the sizes of 2k and xp tilesets? I dont deal with those very much and I'd like to add the sizing for those if people want to use MV or other larger tilesets to downsize

4. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    XP tiles are all 32x32. The tilesets are 8 tiles wide, but can be any number of tiles high.

I don't know about 2k - I think it's based on 16x16 tiles but I have no idea of the size or layout of the tileset.

5. Oscar92player

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Ok, so... I tried using the Waifu2X tool a moment ago, and it does not work for me. I selected the image with the filters and all the settings, but it seems that I can't download or preview the image I would like to resize.

Also, if it's true what @Shaz said in the previous post, then I'm not going to pay if the images are not edited correctly (also, I cannot afford that at this moment). So, I will wait until this server issues are solved, and try it again later (with more luck, hopefully).

6. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    yeah, don't pay.

The only settings I changed were the size, to 1.5, and I can't remember what the other was called, but it defaults to Highest and I set it to None. I didn't change any of the other settings.

If it won't work, do you want to set everything up then grab a screenshot showing all your settings and post it here?

Oscar92player likes this.
  7. Leon Kennedy

Leon Kennedy Restaff Novice Restaff

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Just noticed when I tried to make a smaller item it always makes it bigger has anyone else tried to shrink theirs?

8. Oscar92player

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    As promised, here are the screenshots comparison:

Screenshot 1 (with RTP Scaler):
    Memories of Dreams vYEP1.5.1 18_01_2018 0_03_19.png

Screenshot 2 (Waifu2x with options):
    Memories of Dreams vYEP1.5.1 18_01_2018 0_07_09.png

There are clear differences between the two pictures, and you just need to look at the stone walls to see that Waifu2x has some errors while resizing some parts of the tileset. For characters, Waifu2x maybe is better, but for Tilesets, I prefer to use the RTP Scaler in order to avoid those resize issues in the tiles.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    Dankovsky likes this.
  9. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I meant a screnshot of the Waifu2x screen, showing the options you used.

Also, explain what you mean by "doesn't work for me".

I set the options, then dragged the images (tileset images) I wanted to resize onto the large image placement area. There was no preview available prior to resizing. As they were converted, I was able to click on the Result and compare the two, or click on the thumbnail and download the resized image, or wait until they were all done (max of 30 at once, but I usually did around 15-20) then used the bulk download option.

It doesn't sound like that's what you're doing.

Oscar92player likes this.
  10. Oscar92player

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oh, sorry, I've mistaken your words about the screenshots xD

The meaning of "doesn't work for me" in the previous message was about an issue when loading the images, and wait until they were resized (maybe due to server issues). Now the page works correctly, and I can resize them without problems.

And about the way I used Waifu2x, it is the same as you, changing the settings before uploading the images, and then downloading the resized ones, making a comparison in MV.

But as I said, for me, RTP Scaler works better for tilesets than Waifu2x. And for characters, Waifu2x works better than RTP Scaler. So, I will use Waifu2x only to resize character and item images from VX and VX Ace projects, because they look better that way.

11. GrandmaDeb

GrandmaDeb Modern Exteriors Posted! Veteran

12. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I don't know - that'd be a question for the mods. I imagine if the person providing, and the person requesting, both have Ace licenses, it would be okay.

GrandmaDeb likes this.