CriticalGames

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hi everyone,

This is a feature that I've been sorely missing from RPG Maker XP. I posted about it on the RPG Maker MV Improvement Board (back when that existed), and received a response that said it was definitely a possibility. Well, with the recent release of MV 1.3.3, I'm getting sceptical as to whether or not this feature will ever be added - at least, certainly not in the time frame that I need it. So I was wondering if anybody knows of a plugin which has this functionality, or if it would be possible to make one.

Basically, in RPG Maker MV, when you use a Set Movement Route command there's a little check box which says 'Wait for Completion'. If you tick that box, then the event will wait for the completion of that particular movement. For example, if you have a cutscene where Johnny is supposed to walk 2 steps Down, the game will wait for him to finish walking before continuing the scene. That's fine for very simple sequences, however the problem arises when you have a carefully choreographed sequence and text boxes which appear simultaneously with various movements.

For example, say I have a scene in a classroom. The teacher walks around depositing test papers on each desk (controlled via a Movement Route) while simultaneously two of the children are talking. Now, if the player's a fast reader or they want to skip past the dialogue for whatever reason (perhaps they died and are re-watching a cutscene), the dialogue will run out before the teacher finishes her Movement Route.

And so, the rest of the cutscene will start playing prematurely, interfering with the teacher's remaining movements and not only ruining the look of the cutscene, but potentially locking up the game. Now, if I used RPG Maker MV's 'Wait for Completion' check box on the teacher's Set Movement Route command, the game would wait for her to finish walking around before taking any other actions, including loading the text boxes which have the children's dialogue.

Back on RPG Maker XP, a sequence like this would be no problem. Below the 'Set Movement Route' command there was another command titled 'Wait for Move's Completion'. You simply selected that, and the game would wait for all Movement Route commands to be completed before continuing with the cutscene. As such, you could perfectly choreograph a cutscene while also taking into account the actions and reading speed of the player. This command is also how I did a lot of very complicated and elaborate cutscenes in my previous games.

So if anyone has any idea of a plugin which already has this functionality, or if someone knows about the possibility of making a plugin command with the same functionality, I would sincerely appreciate the information. I've been searching for the past year, but haven't come across anything myself.

Thanks for reading! =D

Last edited by a moderator:

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You can add a loop at the point where you want the game to pause until the teacher has finished handing stuff out.  Within the loop, add a Wait 4 Frames, then check the position of the teacher to see if she's gone back to where you want her to be.  If she has, use a Break Loop command.  Then continue your cutscene after the loop block.

CriticalGames

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
You can add a loop at the point where you want the game to pause until the teacher has finished handing stuff out.  Within the loop, add a Wait 4 Frames, then check the position of the teacher to see if she's gone back to where you want her to be.  If she has, use a Break Loop command.  Then continue your cutscene after the loop block.

Hi Shaz,

Thanks for the idea! You always seem to be coming to my rescue haha. That's a great idea for a work-around for simple cutscenes, albeit a bit time consuming - particularly when you've got multiple events moving in a much more complicated sequence. With that said, though, it's definitely an idea that I can work with. So even if there are no official updates or plugin options, that'll get me started. Thank you very much - I really appreciate the help! =D

Zeriab

Huggins!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
The RMXP Wait For Move's Completion has pretty nasty issues.

Soft locks can happen if the move route happens to get blocked, or a looping moveroute is created. Problem is that soft locks can be introduced later down the line by creating or changing events that is unrelated to the cutscene or etc. that is using the Wait For Move's Completion.

Hmm... for managing your case I would add a script call at the end of each Move Route which adds 1 to a variable. Then I would wait until said variable reaches the number of move routes you have. I would put that in a loop as Shaz said, just checking the value of the variable rather than the position of the event.

*hugs*

- Zeriab

CriticalGames

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The RMXP Wait For Move's Completion has pretty nasty issues.

Soft locks can happen if the move route happens to get blocked, or a looping moveroute is created. Problem is that soft locks can be introduced later down the line by creating or changing events that is unrelated to the cutscene or etc. that is using the Wait For Move's Completion.

Well, I agree you've got to be careful, but that stuff can absolutely be tested and prevented. I've encountered soft locks plenty of times myself, but so long as I'm using the command within a controlled environment it's never been a problem.

Hmm... for managing your case I would add a script call at the end of each Move Route which adds 1 to a variable. Then I would wait until said variable reaches the number of move routes you have. I would put that in a loop as Shaz said, just checking the value of the variable rather than the position of the event.

That's a great idea! And definitely takes care of the most time consuming aspect of this approach. Thank you very much for the advice! And thanks again to you too, Shaz. You've both been a BIG help =D

EDIT

By coincidence I've just found a brand new plugin which solves this.  In case anyone else is looking, here it is

http://sumrndm.site/wait-options/

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Let's see if I can make it in time xD
Knipsel.PNG
Add Smart Help Window Popup to Items and Skills | RPG Maker News #79

Is it unusual to think your own music is strange? xD I honestly don't know if I'm gonna use any of them :p
I've been keeping my cards fairly close to my chest, but Team Muxedo Task is proud to present the first offering for our contest entry: the title screen background.1624496085488.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
collegestory