Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hello everybody,

I realised while coding events to start after some set time that the Wait for x frames is doing its job too well...

I mean, on a fast computer, 60 frames per second is easily obtained. But on a slow computer, a Wait for 240 frames can take longer that 4 seconds and break the synchronicity with other programmed events/animations.

Is there a way to tell RMVXA to wait for seconds instead of frames?

Dawn of Dark

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
I think on slower computers, the game would lag if there was a lot of events on one map.

So to solve your problem, I think you could try using either of the two anti-lag script (which are on the master script list):

Victor's Anti-lag script

Yami's Simple Anti-lag Event

Last edited by a moderator:

RyokuHasu

Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
You also could use variables to calculate time based on the game clock.

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Like starting a timer and using it as a time reference?

That could work, yes. I didn't think about that, thanks.

RyokuHasu

Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
no, I mean using the game variable that is the Game Timer, the one that counts from the second you start the game, it will always be in seconds.

Galenmereth

Retired
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
The Ace engine uses fixed timestepping, which means that if it lags (15fps, for example), it won't let any wait timers increase more than 15 frames. What this means is that you will never have events with wait commands go "out of sync". For every frame there's a "tick" where the engine updates every function and event; there's no multithreading that can let two events go out of sync, as everything's performed in order within that frame tick. I hope this explanation makes sense.

To go off on a tangent (and slightly off topic): This could become a problem if you use the engine for a platforming game, because a lower framerate at a fixed timestep can cause unwanted results for the player. If your physics are dependent on how long the player holds down the jump button (ala Mario games) and tied to a certain velocity / drag / gravity per frame, if the rendering lags to half optimal (30 fps), the player will not inately know this, and may let go of the button earlier than he should due to muscle memory, if your physics expect 60 fps. Thus in this case you'd want to implement physics bound to miliseconds since last frame update happened.

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'm trying to get a music fadeout and an event to synchronize, but they don't speak the same language.

RPG::BGM.fade() waits for milliseconds while the Wait command accepts frames per second.

My prototype is like this.

text "Start fading out the music"script RPG::BGM.fade(4000)Wait: 240 framestext "Event starts"On 60fps, it's synced.At 5fps, it's way too late.

Galenmereth

Retired
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Yeah, then you can get into some trouble... But you can do something like this:

frame_based_audio_fade.PNG

It's a bit quick and dirty, but here's how it works:

• This works together with a BGM set on the map through the normal menus
  • You need to define that BGM in a variable; @bgm_file in example
  • You need to define the current (starting) volume; @bgm_volume in example
  • Each frame we subtract (100.0 / (4.0*60.0) from the current volume variable. 4.0 is the amount of seconds you wish to fade it over; 100.0 is just max possible volume, and 60.0 is the optimal FPS
  • If the volume variable is equal to or lower than zero, we stop the Audio playback, and break the loop
  • The event that performs this must be parallell process, or else we freeze everything
  • Since this event in my example is triggered using self switch A, I turn that off
Hope this helps; this should keep it in sync regardless of framerate, since the fade is now tied to each frame tick. I might make a script that lets you fade through frame ticks without all this workaround stuff, but right now the IGMC must be prioritized I'm afraid :)

Last edited by a moderator:

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I think I get the idea.
Although I'll have to add a Set variable (number 3 in this example) inside the loop as well, right?

$game_variables[3] = @bgm_volumeor better:
I can make a conditional branch checking the @bgm_volume directly.

Code:
Conditional Branch: Script: @bgm_volume <= 0

Galenmereth

Retired
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Oops, yeah, that variable was a remnant of the old solution. You can use a script call in the conditional branch like you wrote, yep :) I updated the image to reflect this for visitors of the thread.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

E7DsT3VXsAInVpu

working on my avatar, because i couldn't stand looking at it anymore :D
still not finished though...
alpacaraptors = love!
''Finds icons that fits the game you're making'' Only covers 20% of what you need :p
I'm very manic-y right now. I didn't sleep and I wanted to get a bunch of stuff done, but didn't get anything done except the bare bones concept for a POSSIBLE game.
And I can't sleep now because I'm probably gonna be hanging out with my brother and I gotta discuss a bunch of BroCoG (our game group) junk with him plus it's far to late to sleep NOW.
poppetQuestBarryApproaches.jpg
While I wait for judging, I decided to start adding more "friends" to my attic. :LZSgrin:

I swear I need a whole sound pack of menacing squeaky toy noises. :kaoswt:
I can't believe I actually managed to stay motivated for the whole Game Jam duration (1 month!), definitely will be taking a break after this :0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dnelson83