Wake: Blooming Lotus Dance

Discussion in '2014 Indie Game Maker Contest' started by Neoend, Jun 15, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Neoend

Neoend Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]

​
     ​
    DOWNLOAD LINK: Will be back once the game is fully updated!

Have fun guys! I think I'll keep working on it because a lot of things got changed at the

last minute. I hope there aren't any huge glitches Xp

Story  [​IMG]
    A man known as The Walker arrives at a town of silhouettes with one goal: to find and bring back seven lost Stars. The Walker knows only a few key facts:

• The Stars will not follow him initially.
    • Other forces are working against him.
    • He's going to have a confrontation on his way out.
    • There are seven dungeons.
    • The town is falling apart.
    As The Walker, it's a race against time! Will you be able rescue all the Stars?

Gameplay mechanics

You are in a mysterious setting with equally mysterious rules, let's look at a few:

No levels
    The Walker will eternally be level one, or level 22, or level 99. I really haven't decided but it doesn't matter. You will not be gaining any
    levels. Stats will be influenced however by what you equip and what states you have inflicted. Normal enemies will also maintain their stats constant. The only thing that will change is that they will use more elaborate strategies.

HP isn't the only guage to worry about
    In this town, people don't want your money, they want your MP (Dubbed LP in this game). They will sell you items and information
    in exchange for a certain amount of MP. When you reach zero, you don't get over, but you cause a 'Turn Shift'. Turn shifts increase the destruction of the town and the strategic prowress of the enemies. The turn shifts will also restore your MP back to maximum.
    The challenge here is to maintain your MP and to avoid potentially losing valuable assets and maybe even story scenes.
    To conteract the MP shortage, there will be small events scattered that can restore up to 30 MP. There will also be skills that void your
    MP cost or replenish it depending on the enemy you defeated.

Battles can be won by escaping
    This might be the most risky and volatile aspect of the game. Enemies will have special statuses that can be countered by the Walker's unique set of skills. The statuses determine sequence of events or if something important can be taken. Many times, fighting until you get what you need might be the best strategy. Since they're status effects, just waiting and guarding could be a viable strategy! The Walker can also 'evict' enemies, which could be a viable strategy if you want to pick up what the enemy was guarding without wasting valuable MP. Apologies if this wasn't well explained, but I'm trying not to give too much away.

You Choose the way you Play
    Players will have freedom with how they tackle the battles and boss battles. They'll also have freedom with which dungeons they explore during one playthrough. You can even finish the game having not viewed a majority of the story segments! Good for a speed run.

Tons of other cool little secrets!
    I'm planning to have alot of references and different gameplay segments. Hope you can find them all.
     What's under the hood:
    The game is being made with the RMVXAce engine. I'm also primarily using Yanfly's scripts. So you can expect a lot of craziness.

Screenshots of Stuff:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    About me and the Project
    Hi! I'm Neoend. I don't have too much of a presense in the rpg maker community, (in fact this is my first post on this forum) but I've been around for 7 years. I've even been working on an RMXP project for a couple of years now. That being said RMXP is my weapon of choice, but for this project I decided to be risky and try out Ace. It's been pretty alright for my first time!
    I

started this project on the 29th, the same day I got Ace through the humble bundle and I've been hard at work since then, i.e. social life and sleep sacrificed. But I'm happy, and I really hope I'll be able to do this story justice. Also, I'm doing this solo.

With this game I want to convey certain emotions to the player and get them caught up in what unfolding in this mysterious town. I hope I'll be able to deliver these experiences clearly. I also want this to be a celebration of the things I have learned over time. I hope that this message

will reach the Player

Also as this is my first time on this forum, if I've violated any general rules please let me know. I did my best to read through the guidelines and use other people's posts as reference points, but you never know, things slip through. And I will be updating this post as I get more free time.

Thank you for reading til the end, if you have any feedback, let me know! I hope you guys will be as excited as I am with this project when it's released.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2014
    ?????? likes this.
  2. ??????

?????? Diabolical Codemaster Veteran

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yay, I read all the way to the end, go me... Does I win me much cookies?

Also - Liking those maps ^_^

3. Neoend

Neoend Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I see much cookies in your future! And thank you, I was worried the walls of text would be a turn off.

And thank you, I'm trying my best.

?????? likes this.
  4. Neoend

Neoend Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Hi everyone, I plan to put up the first demo up later tonight. In it, it will be running evaluation mode, where you can play through two

dungeons and get a hang of how battles work.

If anyone is interested in preliminary testing, pm me or let me know here. =]

5. Faye Valentine

Faye Valentine The Mapgician Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I'll be glad to play this game. Overall it looks pretty original and awesome. I'm pretty sure the storyline is strong, that's the most important part. I'll wait for the demo! :D

6. Neoend

Neoend Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Hey, thanks for the interest! I can't really spend too much time talking about the game since that's time I could use to make it better, but yes at the very least the story's going to be told in a unique way.

Faye Valentine likes this.
  7. Neoend

Neoend Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I've added the download link for anyone interested in playing, have fun! I hope you don't encounter any horrible bugs!

8. Indrah

Indrah Megane Berserker Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Here's my very quick and sketchy take on the game (link for info on why it's so short and all that jazz)

First of all: an absolute lack of context, a bazillion fight options and 0 explanation hurt this game much more than the poor presentation and shoddy writing.

That said, visuals are pretty terrible, the maps are a mess. There is no real plot that the game deigns to tell you and it seems to be really…pretentious, about all these weird commands that DOES NOT EXPLAIN but are supposed to make it feel new and innovative. I could be wrong, but it just felt really unfriendly and frustrating.

I couldn’t play this. If the game is not going to take the time to explain how to play, I’m not going to be the one spending energy trying to find out on my own when it’s this obtuse. If you want players to play your game you have to at least explain the very basics of your game.

9. Neoend

Neoend Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Hey Indrah, first of all, I am so sorry for the bad game experience. I read through your comments and listened through the video. I agree with the majority of your thoughts.

When I was in the middle of development, I really thought certain aspects could pass. 1 month later after being away from the game, I looked back and saw that this was really player unfriendly. I'm sorry that you and others were on the receiving end of this unfriendliness .

Second, I want to say thank you for the review! It brought up other things I hadn't thought of. The game is being reworked and polished so a lot of the mistakes such as the evaluation and normal issue and the title screen are already fixed.

Taking the comments here into consideration, I'll be working on not making the intro and explanations so esoteric. My inexperience with releasing games for other people to play really showed here. I'll do my best to fix that.

This is for discussion's sake; I want to mention some of the reasons behind certain design choices:

Messy Town Map:

I wanted to portray a sense of chaos, disarray and unpleasantness, that being said I didn't want them to be ugly. The idea was just to make the player feel unsettled. There's a limited amount of things I can do to give that sense of disarray but I tried to make it so moving around the town was easy.

Lethe (The first enemy):

This is mostly regarding the name. For the majority of players, that name wasn't supposed to mean anything. Her name and every other name beyond that point are nods to the ending of the game and the setting.

The Wide Array of Choices:

Originally in my mind I thought this was a good idea, so as to give a sense of exploration, you know, to learn things through your own volition and trial and error. I failed to execute this nicely, and it ended up being annoying. I'm going to streamline and make it so that the player is eased into the battle mechanics. My only regret is that I didn't think of this sooner.
    Again, thank you for reviewing this game. I'm working on updating it. I hope that you haven't been too burned by this game, and are willing to try it again once it's all fixed up.

No hard feelings if you're not up for it though.

Hope to hear from you soon.

10. Indrah

Indrah Megane Berserker Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I can't make any promises, but if you leave me a link on my Let's Play topic when the game is ready I may give it a twirl.