LappenLike

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
So first of I know about the * but just copying outdoor- or building-tiles into B,C... and set them to * doesn't work because of how those tiles are made.

I also know about parallax mapping but that seems like a total overkill in terms of work for such a basic thing.

What I want is simply to let my character pass behind the top of some walls or buildings. In the VX Ace Version I used FenixFyrex's Script

http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/2162-in-depth-maps-v20/  , which made this really easy. So far I couldn't find any JS to make that possible again.

I'm quite at a loss here,  can't even imagine to make a map with something like a high wall which blocks half of the screen and can't be underpassed. How do others deal with that right now?

Thanks in advance :)

Euphony

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
So first of I know about the * but just copying outdoor- or building-tiles into B,C... and set them to * doesn't work because of how those tiles are made.

Wait, how does that not work? I've been doing this in VX Ace and it works fine. I imagine it's the same in MV, no? You should be able to do this:

-Lay down the wall using the wall autotile.

-Use shift-click mapping to erase the portions of the wall that you want to walk behind.

-Cover the erased portions with the corresponding wall tiles from B-E set to star passability.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wookiee420

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
i may be wrong but can't you just use the regions?

LappenLike

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Well I never had to do it like that so I might be missing something but I'll explain my problem with this Screenshot.

So FOR EXAMPLE right here I used the default (I think) Outdoor_A3 and put it in E.

If I, for example, wanted to be able to walk behind the entire Roof area I'd need 3 rows of Roof-Tiles. In the Default A position I can just drag and drop the entire Roof and it's done, however, impassable. In the new E Version I'd have to build it myself, yea whatever. But here's the Problem: The middle Part just doesn't even exist.

So as I see it right now this is 1. A LOT more work than I'm used to for doing this (which is fine I guess) and 2. ... well it doesn't work :(

DOESNOTWORK.PNG

LappenLike

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
-Cover the erased portions with the corresponding wall tiles from B-E set to star passability.

As stated above, this is the problem. The middle Parts don't exist seperately, they only get added while autotiling... or am I just missing something?

Euphony

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Right, autotiles are formatted differently than the rest of the tiles - they use a 24x24 grid rather than 48x48 like the other tiles. So if you copy-paste an autotile to a B-E set, you're losing the pieces of the wall/roof that the program would be generating as an autotile.

What you have to do is use the autotile to make a generic building like this:

nFjx1qP.png

Screenshot that, then copy-paste the building into your B/C/D/E set. Voila, you now have all pieces of the building! But of course only do it this way if you're willing to give up some space on your tileset. :)

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
You can't just use regions, but there is a script by Neon Black Terrain Tags which allows you to set regions over autotiles giving you the equivalent of star settings.  So you map as normal, lay the regions down as per the instructions in the script - by default region 18 for tiles you want to walk behind, and then region 19 to mark the limits of the walk area.  It can have compatibility issues with some scripts, so you need to be careful.

LappenLike

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
ksjp17: Scripts like that are what I was talking about, but there isn't anything like that written for MV yet :(

Euphony: I'll go ahead and try that then, thank you.

Doing that for every single Building or Wall I wanna use will be a huge pain, though. 

I think it's pretty strange that there isn't a script, using regions like there was in Ace. It made all of this incredibly easy and fast.

Guess I gotta work with what I got, thanks :D

Euphony

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Yeah, unfortunately it's only a good method if you have the space for it in your tileset. It helps if you're only using a handful of building styles, but if you plan on using a lot, a plugin would be far more practical.

This is why we need a third layer again. ;_;

Ossra

Formerly Exhydra
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
We have enough layers to make everything work snazzily, I think.  o:  Remember you can place two B tiles on top of one another, so that is technically two layers. Here is how I organize my tilesets ..

Inside_A2.png

A2 Tileset

• Column 1-2 : Primary Floor Tiles

• Column 3-4 : Primary Floor Decoration (will overwrite but compliment column 1-2)

• Column 5-8 : Secondary Floor Decoration (will layer on top of column 1-4)

Inside_A4.png

A4 Tileset

• Wall and Ceiling Tiles

Inside_A5.png

A5 Tileset

• All : Tertiary Floor Decoration (will overwrite A2 column 1-4, but is under A2 column 5-8)

Inside_E.png

E Tileset

• All : Star-Tile Overhead Decoration

The end result (with lighting image overlay and shadow plugin) :

transparent-wall-b.gif

Euphony

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Remember you can place two B tiles on top of one another, so that is technically two layers.

Oh yeah, I forgot that's a thing in MV. I obviously haven't used it much. xD

Maidlyn

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Adding onto what @Wookiee420 said, you can use Yanfly Region Restrictions, make "All Through" set to 0, and just use the transparent region in the region editing tab, and that should work.

Squirrelzone

Expert at being lazy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
why are you guys complicating this just set the tile to the star thingy

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Squirrelzone Maybe it's because tiles on the A tab cannot be set to star, and there can be many good reasons for using autotiles rather than transferring everything over to B-E tilesheets marked with star - not least that you cannot then overlay e.g. walls and roofs, with windows, chimneys etc.

Squirrelzone

Expert at being lazy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Squirrelzone Maybe it's because tiles on the A tab cannot be set to star, and there can be many good reasons for using autotiles rather than transferring everything over to B-E tilesheets marked with star - not least that you cannot then overlay e.g. walls and roofs, with windows, chimneys etc.

oh okay then. 

Aurawhisperer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm curious, but has this been resolved yet? I want to learn this too for MV :D

Alastor01

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
N/A
I was also thinking about that problem. I have made walls as B / C / D tiles to be able to put star possibilitiy and walk behind them. However, this makes it possible to have only 2 layes? If you count the A2 floor, would it mean 3 layers: A2 plus 2 B / C or D? I gues there is no win win situation :(

Shefflox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I saw in someone's RPGMV game they made it so you could pass behind buildings or trees and as you passed that section the building or tree became like a 60% opacity so you could see your character while passing. If anyone knows how to do this I would be most interested, it still relates to the post as well as adds some extra to the initial question!

Shefflox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I saw in someone's RPGMV game they made it so you could pass behind buildings or trees and as you passed that section the building or tree became like a 60% opacity so you could see your character while passing. If anyone knows how to do this I would be most interested, it still relates to the post as well as adds some extra to the initial question!

I assume that's a no go, and no one has heard of or knows how to do this?

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Shefflox If it's the game I'm thinking about, it was done with overlays, not with tiles.
Until someone comes up with an MV version of NeonBlack's script for Ace (which is what I use to do this), I think probably overlays and star tiles on B-E are your only options.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

ngl i feel like im morbin out
I've made a lot of small changes and fixes over the past couple weeks without actually making any progress on my game...now I'm running out of things I want to change, and I'm terrified that I might have to start being productive again...the horror! D:
I made a mini devlog about the sprite animations I've been working on! You can read it by clicking here

applebuds-dreamtrotter.gif
What happens with this list, is it currently possible to buy any of these RPGMAKER at least those that are for PC?

Combat skill combination demostration

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laminated_paper