Walking between low and high areas/event graphic manipulation

hainsay

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
There is a lot of extra unnecessary info in my original comment. Jump to comment 4 where I have rephrased the question. Thanks. I've left the original here just in case someone has some kind of alternative work around.

I've been working on a puzzle where you walk from a high part of the map across an archway (i.e. from tilesets B/C) and push the boulder off the archway, where it falls onto the ground and breaks.

To get this to work I had the high terrain actually extend along where the boulder passed, and the archway was actually a series of events with the appropriate archway graphic and collision set to "through". This led to graphical issues with the autotiles:

Untitled.jpg

There are floor tiles under each of the tiles that the boulder can move on. The boulder starts on that southeast corner of high terrain and I can push it to the east where it falls and breaks. Graphics look rough as hell though.

Is there a way (maybe using events) to force the ability to move between the high terrain and the archway? I can manipulate the passage settings of the archway tiles but I can't seem to work out how to appear like you are getting off the high terrain in that one spot without messing up the autotiles' graphics. Alternatively, is there an easy way to use a particular variant of auto tile for an event graphic?

Last edited:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
there are several ways, and you'll probably have to experiment a bit to get the results.

One point is that if you have problems with the look of autotiles, then you probably never heard of "shift-click-mapping", because that is how you can override the autofunction of A-Tiles. You can find a tutorial on that in my starting point tutorial in my signature.

Second, if you want the boulder to automatically roll along that, then the best way is probably to dynamically set the boulder to through (instead of the ohther events) with the move route after it is triggered to roll

If you want the player to push the boulder all the way, it would basically be the same, only a bit more tricky because you have to ON/OFF through at certain times.

If you want to change the map based on the events, then the events should use the tiles as sprites and be set to below player - if you do that, the events with those tiles will use the tileset settings (including passability) of the tiles selected.

If you want more specific help, we need a screenshot of the event that you have so far, the map screenshot doesn't contain any of the info we need

hainsay

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm fine with shift-click-mapping. I can get auto tiles to look however they want...when they are actual map tiles. I'm asking if you can somehow do the same when you use them as the event graphic. I altered the D tileset to show the correct subset of A tiles, but picking a particular configuration of those auto tiles for the event graphic (eg, making the water look continuous) is beyond me.

I do want to push one tile at a time. When you talk about On/Off through, are you talking about when you go from the high ground to the archway? That's fine for the boulder but how do you get the actors across?

Can you somehow make an exception for two adjacent tiles so that actors and events and always pass between them? Maybe I am just forced to use low terrain tiles?

Event.jpg
Event page 1 is the static/pushed state, which then goes to event page 2 through a self switch, where the region is tested (some redundancy here, I was learning as I went), triggering the falling movement if it is over the gap. Event page 3 is a passive "broken boulder" event. KeyRun3 is a twinkly that appears when the boulder falls (Just realised I can interact with it before dropping the boulder. Whoops! Need to fix that.)

map.jpg
Map showing all tiles are actually the high terrain tiles, with below-player events over them.

hainsay

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I had a lot of extra information that wasn't really relevant, and basically my question wasn't solved. I made a new map so I can better ask the question.

mapping.jpg

1. Is there a way to make it so that you can walk from the starting position directly east off the cliff. Not scripted or a "jump" action. A single exception to the normal passage rules that lets you just walk off. Ideally also needs to allow passage of an event that is not through. I'm not trying to make a ridiculous dev exit or something, it just allows me to walk directly to some other tiles.

2. Making a barrier that is otherwise impassable, passable in one area is pretty easy, but it doesn't look right with the event graphic picked from a tileset, because it isn't animated I guess. I guess I have to make a sprite using all the original autotile configurations? How can I get those?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This cannot be done by default, you will need a plugin to manipulate the passability that way. Or you need to make a special tileset that has the critical tiles two times, once set to passable and the other to not passable and mix them where you need them.

hainsay

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanks, makes sense

Edit: Oh I actually found another way, which eliminates the need to change passability, but you still need to move part of tileset Ax into tileset D. the shift-mapping can be used to make the exit tile like the centre of the high ground, and then you make an event over it with the right tile in tileset D.

I still don't know where to get the different parts of the water animation from in order to make a sprite where you can "walk over the water"

Last edited:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I still don't know where to get the different parts of the water animation from in order to make a sprite where you can "walk over the water"
There is a way, but it's a bit tricky.

Make a scrap project that you don't need, in those tileset place the A1 sheet with the water into an A2 slot, that will disable the animation and split it into three tiles. Then make copies of the correct sequence of three different tiles containing the three parts of the animation, and use Photoshop or GIMP to place it into a sprite.

You'll probably have to experiment a lot to get it right

hainsay

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
There is a way, but it's a bit tricky.

Make a scrap project that you don't need, in those tileset place the A1 sheet with the water into an A2 slot, that will disable the animation and split it into three tiles. Then make copies of the correct sequence of three different tiles containing the three parts of the animation, and use Photoshop or GIMP to place it into a sprite.

You'll probably have to experiment a lot to get it right
I didn't even realise that the tiles in triplicate were the same tile but in different stages of the animation. This is a huge leap forward. Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

As for the Coronavirus? Well: "People that spend their life avoiding death are already dead (they're also rich, and I like to spend my life with their money.)"
- R. Sanchez, "Edge of Tomorty: Rick, Die, Repeat"
making pierogi and corrupting my game files wbu
Trying to regain my will to work on maps T_T
I miss working in rpgmaker but I can only do one thing at a time. Maybe after drawing lessons I can come back.
Ever have a day like... you play minesweeper and your very first click is always a mine?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vulgourso