Tiamat5774

Dragon Master (yes, I am a DM
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I've got a problem I don't know how to fix. 

First off, let me explain that I've created a common event that makes dead characters change graphic to a coffin.

Now when all 4 of the party dies, four coffins still move on the map instead of "game over".  How do I get the game over after a total party kill on the map?

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So you must be using a script, right? Because XP doesn't have followers by default.

And how is your common event called? How are your battles called? The only reason the game would continue after ALL party members were killed is if you'd initiated your battle from an event with Call Battle Processing, and checked the box to say Continue Even When Loser. If that's true, then THAT is why it doesn't go to game over - nothing to do with your changing them to coffins. In fact, if you removed the common event that changes their sprite to a coffin, you probably still wouldn't get the game over.

IF that's what you're doing, just do a series of conditional branches as part of your common event:

Code:
If Actor 1 is Death Inflicted  If Actor 2 is Death Inflicted    If Actor 3 is Death Inflicted      If Actor 4 is Death Inflicted        Game Over      Branch End    Branch End  Branch EndBranch End

Tiamat5774

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The party is not taking damage from battle.  They are taking damage from events that are set up to be environmental hazards.  When the party touches them, damage is dealt.  The entire party was killed during a test run and they all turned into coffins.

The solution you gave above is a good simple one, and I appreciate it.  However,  I have a list of 15 actors and the conditional branch you are suggesting that I use would not work.  All 15 would have to die before I got a game over.  I plan to make the actors interchangeable so whatever 4 actor party is being used, If all four die in the field then it should be game over.

I just want to add, that when all characters die in battle with a monster, game over happens.

Tiamat5774

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
My game is using a "Caterpillar" Script credited to Fukuyama.  The "Coffin Graphic Change" common event is called in a parallel process event.  The battle processing is always set to go to game over when all characters die. 

When in battle, If all characters die, game over works correctly.  However I created events that deal damage when the party touches them.

These events, if enough of them are touched, can deplete the characters to 0 hp.  They should be dead and a game over screen should come up.

I have 15 actors, 4 are active any given time.  When the four that are active are all dead, the game over screen needs to come up.

The example solution Shaz gave would be good if I only had 4 actors. 

I will be looking for other solutions but would appreciate further feedback on this here.  Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Tiamat5774, please avoid double posting, as it is against the forum rules. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

In that case, a simple conditional branch with the following as the condition (in the script box on the last tab) should do the trick:

$game_party.battle_members.select {|member| member.alive? }.empty?If your ONLY damage comes from those events, and you don't have battles, then you should put both the 'coffin change graphic' logic AND the 'all dead' logic I just gave you into a single common event, and call it from those events after damage has been dealt. You don't need those things running on every frame, when you know the alive/dead status of a party member is only going to change when you interact with those events.
If you DO have other ways to deal damage (like battles), then put the 'all dead -> gameover' logic into the same common event as the 'coffin change graphic' logic - and make sure there's a Wait X Frames at the end of the common event. Otherwise you're going to end up with too many common events running at once, none coming up for air, and are going to make your game lag.

Tiamat5774

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I assume that after making the "All dead -> Game over logic" a condition in a conditional branch, I was supposed to select "game over" from the command list (third tab).  What do I put in "Else" part of the conditional branch?

And was I supposed to copy exactly what you had up there into the "script" tab field?

I got the following error: "NoMethodError occurred while running script. Undefined method 'battle members' for #<Game_Party0x358b0e0>"

Tiamat5774

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The only "solution" to my problem that I've found is to have the hazard events afflict a damaging state on the characters.  Other than that, unless my questions get answered, things are still the same.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Alien Worlds, Minecraft Blocks, Extend Options, Fine Speed Control, Art by Muggu | RPG Maker News #33

Rest in Peace vlog gun...
vloggunsmallface.png
Another unnamed character, and probably last one for now.
She's a dragon girl inspired by fafnir dragon. as always, name suggestion is welcomed.
Dragon_Girl.jpg

Dragon_Girl_1.png
Hmm.... So I can use my quick ports of QPlugins, but QMovement breaks MZ's save system. Or I can use the Luna port of the QPlugins whose QMap breaks MZ's save system. I can't decide I want to fix one of those, or just make a new save system. The new one would look so much better.. I'm kind of tempted. :LZSexcite:
I'm very happy and I want everyone to be happy too, so I decided to share this song about the end of the world! :biggrin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sabiaryl