Walking in the walls,even when the tile is supposed to not do it?

HelloHinnie

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese BR
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Sem título.png Sem título1.png So i made a hall with a unique tileset combination for it based on the rpg maker vx ace pre-set,but the wall that came in the pre-set is totally passable,even when it's marked to not.I used that same wall in the other rooms but they are just fine.I don't know why,but i think that what's causing this is the ladder,any ideas to solve this problem?

Attachments

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Make sure the first tile in tab B has its passage setting as a star, not an O or X.

HelloHinnie

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese BR
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Make sure the first tile in tab B has its passage setting as a star, not an O or X.
It worked!Thank you!But why does this happen if it's not a star?

AsuranFish

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Looking at your map, it also looks like your floor is using one of the "Counter" tiles... that tile is meant to serve as a table or shop counter, not a floor. You're also using the wall tiles incorrectly...

The floor and walls should look more like this.

As for the stairs, they look kinda weird to me, but I'm not sure what I'd do different off the top of my head. :)

walls.PNG

Last edited:

HelloHinnie

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese BR
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Looking at your map, it also looks like your floor is using one of the "Counter" tiles... that tile is meant to serve as a table or shop counter, not a floor. You're also using the wall tiles incorrectly...

The floor and walls should look more like this.

As for the stairs, they look kinda weird to me, but I'm not sure what I'd do different off the top of my head. :)

View attachment 92605
I knew something was off,but i couldn't see what was...i will try to do that way,but how do i identify a floor tile,a wall tile and a counter tile?

Last edited:

HelloHinnie

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese BR
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@AsuranFish - So i tried to look up some reference pictures and made this one,i don't know what to put in the floor really so i'll leave this one for now,what do you think?Nova Tela.jpg

AsuranFish

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@AsuranFish - So i tried to look up some reference pictures and made this one,i don't know what to put in the floor really so i'll leave this one for now,what do you think?View attachment 92670
That one's much better, though how it looks in game might depend on what you're using as a background (or if you're using one)? I think people tend to fill in the empty spaces with the wall top tiles (so that wood grain tile you have as the border), but I don't think it's necessarily required. I kind of like the outside walls being visible - but again, depends how it look in game. I'm not sure about the stairs, because the sideways stairs always look weird to me.

The map looks interesting, kind of curious to see the rest of it.

HelloHinnie

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese BR
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
That one's much better, though how it looks in game might depend on what you're using as a background (or if you're using one)? I think people tend to fill in the empty spaces with the wall top tiles (so that wood grain tile you have as the border), but I don't think it's necessarily required. I kind of like the outside walls being visible - but again, depends how it look in game. I'm not sure about the stairs, because the sideways stairs always look weird to me.

The map looks interesting, kind of curious to see the rest of it.
I let empty beacause when i open the game,the background stays black,like in the first picture

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
We have a thread 'Game & Map Screenshots' where you can post any map and get feedback on it. That would be better than muddling up this thread which was about a very specific query.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
But why does this happen if it's not a star?
Every tile has an ID. The first tile in the B tileset has id 0. The first tile in the C tileset has id 256. Then it goes D, E, then A5, then the A1 to A4 tiles.

Your map is made up of layers. You have two ground layers and one top layer.

Every layer has w x h tiles, where w is your map width, and h is your map height.

Every tile on every layer of the map has an id, which corresponds to the ids in the tileset. When you draw a tile, the id of that tile from the tileset gets saved into the id of the tile on the layer, on the map, where you draw it. The default tile id, in all the places where you haven't drawn a tile, is 0. Remember what tile 0 is? The first tile in the B tileset! So every place where you don't draw a tile uses the first B tile by default. This is why it's always blank (in fact, even if you put a sprite there, it won't show on the map or in the tileset tab).

Now, setting the passage of a tile to O means you can walk on it, and setting it to X means you can't walk on it. So if you set the first B tile to O, you will be able to walk all over the map - wherever you haven't drawn another tile onto the top layer. If you set it to X, you won't be able to walk on any tile where the top layer is empty.

Setting the passage of a tile to star means to ignore the passage setting for that tile, for that layer, and look at the passage settings for the layers underneath. So setting the first B tile to a star is saying, "if I haven't drawn a top layer tile here, look at the passage settings on the ground layers".

Slightly related is that any tile with a star will also appear above the player. This particular tile does it as well, but as there's no sprite, you can't actually see anything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Oh wow, just got word the police are looking for an armed suspect within a 2 block radius of my office. Super glad I'm not there right now. :kaoswt:
Sheila Nagase

same caption as before. :3
"Be as honest as you possibly can as often as you can. It makes your lies much easier to believe."
Each new game means new ways to survive and you need to adapt when you have 10 different stores with lots of items for your adventure

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReidhMaze