Walking under - Blender - Png - Help

Nebula 480

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Felt it was easier to illustrate my exact situation. I apologize if this has been asked before. I purchased MZ early and got MV and have understood MZ will have more layer options? In any case, I hope there's a way to make it happen. Anyones help is greatly appreciated.

Reactions: Bex

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
In VXace I created a "picture anchor" which basically bound a picture to the map. Since it was in front of the player, the player would basically disappear behind it wherever it was opaque.

There might be something similar for MV that can work. So basically you're exporting your rendering into multiple layers and just controlling whether it should be behind or in front of the characters.

Ossra

Formerly Exhydra
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What you will need to do is use a technique called 'parallax mapping' which is not built-in to RPG Maker by default and will require a plugin. Basically, instead of a tileset you utilize a series of pictures that are placed on various layers which are provided by the plugin. Afterward, you use a blank tileset to set passable and impassable areas. Please note that you will need to render your pictures with a grid in mind, unless you are using 'grid-free movement' or 'pixel movement' which is feature that will require another plugin.

I personally have not tinkered with parallax mapping or grid-free movement in forever, so I do not have any up to date links to share. Hopefully someone can toss out a few nice plugin choices and a walk-through on the process, of which there are quite a lot as these are rather popular features.

Nebula 480

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What you will need to do is use a technique called 'parallax mapping' which is not built-in to RPG Maker by default and will require a plugin. Basically, instead of a tileset you utilize a series of pictures that are placed on various layers which are provided by the plugin. Afterward, you use a blank tileset to set passable and impassable areas. Please note that you will need to render your pictures with a grid in mind, unless you are using 'grid-free movement' or 'pixel movement' which is feature that will require another plugin.

I personally have not tinkered with parallax mapping or grid-free movement in forever, so I do not have any up to date links to share. Hopefully someone can toss out a few nice plugin choices and a walk-through on the process, of which there are quite a lot as these are rather popular features.

In regards to this statement from the MZ site. Would this be the solution to my problem? "
The Layer Function Returns!
An incredibly missed feature from RPG Maker XP returns with MZ! Map layer control has returned. You can now select which of the four map layers you are drawing onto, or leave it on Automatic to keep the behavior from MV. This gives you more control to make your maps look the way you want to, as well as speeding up the map creation process: No more having to redo an entire tile because you messed up one layer or want to change the base layer! '"

Ossra

Formerly Exhydra
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Nebula 480 I believe that feature is related to the tileset layer and not the picture layer. The feature for RPG Maker MZ will allow the creator to switch between the automatic tileset layer system used by default in RPG Maker VX / ACE / MV, and a manual tileset layer system present in older RPG Makers such as RPG Maker XP. I could be wrong. But, if I am correct, the creator would still be required to use an picture layer plugin even in RPG Maker MZ.

Usually the tileset layer and the player sprite are underneath the picture layer :

Code:
- Weather Effect Layer
- Picture Layer
- Tileset Layer
  + Tiles / Sprites (Above)
  + Sprites (Default)
  + Tiles / Sprites (Below)
- Parallax Background Layer

A 'parallax mapping' plugin usually squeezes in a separate, custom picture layer system into the default system :

Code:
- Weather Effect Layer
- Picture Layer
- Tileset Layer
  + Tiles / Sprites / Pictures (Above)
  + Sprites / Pictures (Default)
  + Tiles / Sprites / Pictures (Below)
- Parallax Background Layer

Since RPG Maker MZ is not released, I am not certain. But, I do not think that there is a built-in parallax mapping option.

Bex

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
1. As mentioned you can fix a Picture to the Map, thatway the Lanternpost would be always above the Player. Or you use Parallax Mapping Plugin.
OR
2. Char sheets can have any size, put your lanternpost on a charsheet which got the correct dimensions
Make it Priority "same as characters", than its shown above player if he is behind it, and below player if he is infront of it. Problem with big stuff is when map is scrolling those event graphics suddenly pop into existence, so you would need additionaly scripts to make it work without bugs.
OR
3. Every Map can have its own Tilesets, you could put the lanternpost on one of the B, C, D or E Tilesets
and Map it manualy. In Database give the Lanternpost Tiles the passability setting "star", than its above the Player.

Last edited:

Nebula 480

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
1. As mentioned you can fix a Picture to the Map, thatway the Lanternpost would be always above the Player. Or you use Parallax Mapping Plugin.
OR
2. Char sheets can have any size, put your lanternpost on a charsheet which got the correct dimensions
Make it Priority "same as characters", than its shown above player if he is behind it, and below player if he is infront of it. Problem with big stuff is when map is scrolling those event graphics suddenly pop into existence, so you would need additionaly scripts to make it work without bugs.
OR
3. Every Map can have its own Tilesets, you could put the lanternpost on one of the B, C, D or E Tilesets
and Map it manualy. In Database give the Lanternpost Tiles the passability setting "star", than its above the Player.

THANK YOU SO MUCH. 3 Seemed to do the trick. :)

Reactions: Bex

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Do you have an audio you want me to animate? If so send me the youtube link and I’ll animate it.
Okay, so I'm working on Draft 2 of my game's script.
Will try to keep you guys posted, if you're interested!

This is vid of my new game, Crystalgazers. A demo is available on my Gamejolt

I just thought of the best achievement for my game: "'I Didn't Know You Were a Developer!' Find and enter one or more dev room(s)."
I made this animation to apply to a job, what do you think?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Koshibari