Want to show (and move) picture relative to map screen, not game screen (parallax mapping)

astracat111

Astra Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hello there, 

In working with pictures in RPG Maker I've recently been frustrated. I'm using RPG Maker MV with the Bind Pictures to Map plugin...

I want to make a picture move from one place to another on a map. I'm not entirely sure how to do this. When a picture is bound to a map, it ends up locking in so it can't be moved (I'm pretty sure unless I'm doing something wrong).

So how do you make a picture show up where an event is? Or make a picture show up where you want it to on a parallax map relative to the X and Y positions of the map and not the game screen? 

One solution I came up with is to use events, but when the pictures get bigger the size gets too big and crashes RPG Maker.

Last edited by a moderator:

Celianna

Tileset artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What exactly do you want to do though? The bind pictures plugin will lock the picture to the map, so it doesn't move with your screen as it does by default. If you want to make a picture move, you obviously wouldn't use the plugin for this picture.

If you want a picture to follow an event, you need to place that event's Map X & Y position into two variables, then use those variables to show the picture, and have this done in a parallel process event so that it always updates and follows the event. If you only want it to show up where an event is that isn't moving, you don't need the parallel process event.

astracat111

Astra Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
What exactly do you want to do though? The bind pictures plugin will lock the picture to the map, so it doesn't move with your screen as it does by default. If you want to make a picture move, you obviously wouldn't use the plugin for this picture.

If you want a picture to follow an event, you need to place that event's Map X & Y position into two variables, then use those variables to show the picture, and have this done in a parallel process event so that it always updates and follows the event. If you only want it to show up where an event is that isn't moving, you don't need the parallel process event.

Okay, so I created a first event and stored it's X and Y position on the map into the variable Xtest and Ytest in the game. Then I did "show picture" with the direct designation of Xtest and Ytest as it's position. 

It just shows the picture again relative to the screen. I just can't get pictures to display relative to characters, events, or just map position using parallax mapping...I can't show a picture relative to the map screen, it for some reason HAS to be the game screen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Your description is confusing, can you please clarify what you want to happen?

1) If you want to use the picture as part of a parallax mapping, then you need to fix that picture to the map and you don't want it to move between different map position - that's what needs the bind picture plugin that Celianna was writing about.

2) If you want to fix the picture to the screen while the player walks (similiar like a HUD) - that's one of the things that show picture is used for by default.

3) If you want the picture to move on the map while the player stands still, then you either need to make it an event picture (directly, not useing show picture with event coordinates) or you need to use the move picture command (which will be off when the player moves)

astracat111

Astra Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Your description is confusing, can you please clarify what you want to happen?

1) If you want to use the picture as part of a parallax mapping, then you need to fix that picture to the map and you don't want it to move between different map position - that's what needs the bind picture plugin that Celianna was writing about.

2) If you want to fix the picture to the screen while the player walks (similiar like a HUD) - that's one of the things that show picture is used for by default.

3) If you want the picture to move on the map while the player stands still, then you either need to make it an event picture (directly, not useing show picture with event coordinates) or you need to use the move picture command (which will be off when the player moves)

Yep, once again the 3rd answer you gave fixed it. At first it wasn't working because of what I thought to be memory issues. I left the same general solution to a different problem in a different topic. In photoshop: 1100% by 700% to create the character set, then in movement route of the event I put: 

Walking Animation OFF, Stepping Animation OFF, Direction Fix ON, Frequency: Fastest, then speed is whatever. After, I created a second movement route and moved the object.

You don't have complete control over animating pictures that are bigger, but there is the option of using animations as well from the database editor.

astracat111

Astra Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Since someone is recently browsing I thought I'd post some advice here. I've been working on my current game for over a year now, I've learned a good method of mapping. 

Basically things that are above you or below you have to be part of the map using bind pictures to map or another parallax mapping plugin, while objects that are at the same level as your character have to be placed inside of /character/ charsets. I map using Photoshop, although another program could be used that has layers. Basically what you have to do is paint out the floor first of a map and work your way from the ground up. Objects that are at the same level as the character have to be in separate layers, and then you export to a new document, then resize the canvas down and to the right 1200% by 800%. 

I very well may soon make a guide on how to properly map in rmmv, what I've learned in the past year doing this.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Is there a way to add pictures to profile posts?
I just graduated from high school yesterday!
I accidently wipe out my entire hdd...
Hey everyone, I'm going to do winners announcement post for the OCCIII after we get the edit bar fixed. It's kind of hard to do any announcement without formatting! Thanks for the patience.
3am me: So how do you feel about a character inviting their own character portrait to a tea party? =D

3pm me: //facepalms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelpMePleaseAAAA