RoseRainblood

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi all. This is something I’ve been wishing my game could have for a while now, but I’ve had to settle for the black fade out between maps. Though really it’s not the vision I want. I’d love to give create illusion of a seamless big world where moving between maps is smooth and uninterrupted.

Right now, there is a slight jitter of a few frames when having no-fade transfers between maps, which breaks the flow and immersion.

I’ve noticed many people wished for a fix for this back in 2016 from the following threads:

https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/instantaneous-map-transfer.62073/#comment-606272

https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/stutter-lag-in-map-transfers-with-no-fade.63036/

https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/inde...nsfer-without-fade-is-jerky-not-smooth.50157/

It appears the issue hasn’t been solved since so I want to bring it back up again as I think this would be something that would be beneficial for a lot of people. I also heard this wasn’t a thing in RPG Maker VX Ace and that no-fade transfers worked very smoothly.

Last edited:

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
It probably depends on how big the maps are. The jitter is the engine loading the rest of the stuff for that map.

cuby

Perpetual Toil
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It probably depends on how big the maps are. The jitter is the engine loading the rest of the stuff for that map.
Sadly, it doesn't quite work this way :(

I've tested with brand new, blank projects and fadeless transfers are still very, very jittery -- essentially unusable for any project whose creator cares about the presentation and flow. It essentially ends up placing you on the wrong destination tile. I've tried preload managers, downgraded/upgraded MV versions, and eventually just had to concede that every single map transfer in an MV game simply has to be a fade.

@RoseRainblood is right -- in VX Ace these fadeless transfers were really fantastic, you could create the impression of a single giant map, which gave rise to all sorts of creative possibilities and nifty trickery.

Back when this was first brought to light as an issue on these forums, it was indeed posited that the delay was due to loading assets, but subsequent testing demonstrated that it was something a bit deeper and intractable.

If there is anyone out there who has quietly, stealthily devised a fix, please do let us know -- I'd even contribute to a tidy little bounty for such a thing :) Sadly, with MV at end of product cycle, faded transfers figure to be a way of life for MV users.

RoseRainblood

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If there is anyone out there who has quietly, stealthily devised a fix, please do let us know -- I'd even contribute to a tidy little bounty for such a thing :) Sadly, with MV at end of product cycle, faded transfers figure to be a way of life for MV users.
I’d be willing to contribute monetarily for a solution to this too. I’m desperate at this point lol.:kaodes:

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
That doesn't disprove my point though, did you use the smallest map size possible? If not try it first. And what's your resolution?

Also ACE does have the issue too, its just harder to get it to occur. But I've recreated it in ACE.

RoseRainblood

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That doesn't disprove my point though, did you use the smallest map size possible? If not try it first. And what's your resolution?

Also ACE does have the issue too, its just harder to get it to occur. But I've recreated it in ACE.
In my game I have a larger resolution so you may have a point.

@cuby said they tested it in a blank new project and said it the jitter was still there and I would want to test this myself later when I get some time.

Say if the larger resolution and parallel events taking time to load my maps are the issue here... Is there nothing I can do to solve it and achieve my dream of seamless transfers? I get that it might be difficult (or even impossible) to achieve with larger maps with lots going on in them, but it seriously would be a dream come true and make a huge difference to my project.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
They did test it in a blank project, but never posted the map size they used. And THAT could be a huge difference due to how MV draws and renders the map.

Still I'd start by posting your map sizes and resolutions. Those are all factors in load times, and AFAIK no preloader out there handles map loads, they just handle images and sound files.

RoseRainblood

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The closest thing to what your looking for would probably be that plugin : https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/inde...r-build-world-map-like-pokemon-v1-0-3.119322/
Thanks for the suggestion. Appreciate it! This looks like it would be a great plugin but unfortunately I use images (parallax maps) for my maps and not tilesets, and this seems to only work for tiles. This may have been the perfect thing if I used tiles. I hope it can help anyone that does.

Still I'd start by posting your map sizes and resolutions. Those are all factors in load times, and AFAIK no preloader out there handles map loads, they just handle images and sound files.
Yeah the preloader doesn't work. I have tried. I thought maybe it would as I use images for my maps, but it still has the few frame stutter between transfers.

My largest resolution (and the one I'm test playing on) is 1920 x 1080

And my map sizes are all the same size: 60 x 40 so not too large at all. I wanted to keep the map sizes small as I realise that the larger they are the more lag it would cause, therefore I broke my maps into smaller equal-sized parts.

RoseRainblood

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Okay so I just found this neat little script from @mogwai:

Code:
$gamePlayer.setPosition(
  $gamePlayer._x + 18,
  $gamePlayer._y
);
var pe = $gamePlayer.followers()._data.length;
for(var i = 0; i < pe; i++){
  $gamePlayer.followers()._data[i].setPosition(
    $gamePlayer.followers()._data[i]._x + 18,
    $gamePlayer.followers()._data[i]._y
  );
}
$gamePlayer.center($gamePlayer._x, $gamePlayer._y);
I found it on this thread here from someone who had a similar problem: https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/seamless-transferss-w-followers.74315/

This one is great because it solves the problem with followers being on the same tile during the transfer. I will likely be using followers in my game, so I actually prefer this method to using the traditional no-fade transfer.

The only issue is, this particular script only works as a transfer to another part of the SAME map. I'm curious if a slight edit to this script could make it work for transferring to a separate map...? I'm not proficient in JS to know how to make that possible, but if it is possible, this could solve the problem!! :kaoluv:

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
1920 x 1080 is kinda sluggish in general in this engine I've noticed, and staff posted a while ago that resolution does slow down your game overall. If you don't intend to ever port to mobile I think there is a patch on itch.io that speeds it up some. I'll add more in an edit after a search on itch.

Edit: Here it is. Read the bit on unnecessary screenshots for more info on lagspikes, though this is the relevant line:

The larger the game resolution, the more likely there is of a lagspike.

Link to plug-in: https://atelieririna.itch.io/performance-upgrade

RoseRainblood

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks loads for that @bgillisp It hasn't got rid of the no-fade transfer stutter completely, but having this will benefit in many other ways. I've already noticed it's smoother.

cuby

Perpetual Toil
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
For what it's worth, I tested vanilla RPGMV on a 17x13 map with a transfer to both another 17x13, as well as transfer to a point on the same map, and both introduced stutter.

link12

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I wonder when this problem will be solved

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Finished that egg-sitting mini-game I mentioned here a couple weeks back. Now to fix the weather system so it doesn't rain indoors while you're playing it. >.> A simple fix in itself; leave it to me to take it as an excuse to completely revamp the time/weather/lighting system from scratch.
I'm really tempting to pre order cyberpunk 2077... should I do it or not :/ I really want to play the game but don't want to take a big hit to my saving because of it
So I need to come up with quite a few action sequences.
Was stressing about this plugin earlier, but pretty happy with how its looking now! Purple makes it pop more too!! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ssven10k