Warning - don't use Deviant Art to showcase your stuff

Discussion in 'Resource Support' started by BCj, Aug 21, 2017.

1. BCj

BCj Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Not sure where to post this but.. Recently there's been quite some uproar by artists who's designs (posted on DA) are then used on t-shrits and other merchandise that's sold. The artists never even receive credit for it (nor payment). After some digging into their terms and conditions that you agree to when signing up to their site, this pops up:

So, DA can promote your stuff on their website or edit anything. They can publish it on any site they want, in any media, or even used to promote groups you don't want to be affiliated with. They can edit, change, or otherwise modify your artwork in any way they want, as well as sublicensing it to third parties. You give up your rights to dispute third aprty profits or copyright infringement. And anything you post on DA belongs to them, even your blog posts and your artist' name.

2. Poryg

Poryg Pixie of the Emvee kingdom, Ham of a Hamster Veteran

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Actually, I'm surprised such things didn't appear sooner.
    We are in 2017, in an era where nobody reads T&C. So it's only natural that these cases will appear. And more of them will come, because people will never learn to read T&C and of course, it's quite lucrative.

Where can I read some more info about it though? I can't find anything about the uproar :(

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  3. ElieTaping

ElieTaping Zzz... Sleep Sleep Sleep~ Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Woah... I'm just glad i read this. Thank you for this, may you be blessed :kaohi:

4. taarna23

taarna23 Marshmallow Princess Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    I'll be honest, that reads like boilerplate agreement on just about any website where you can host stuff. I've been telling people I know that hosting sites have had stuff like this in their agreements for a long time now. People generally don't listen and/or care.

5. onipunk

onipunk Archmage of Procrastination Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Yeah, surprised this hasn't popped up before now, I'm sure other sites have similar agreements but DeviantArt specifically has been known for this for quite some time. Point still stands, of course, people should find another host if possible.

6. dragoonwys

dragoonwys Freelance Illustrator Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Actually this thing has been brought up since back in 2014 :aswt: and it was all a big misunderstanding and it was Hot topic's problem https://www.dailydot.com/parsec/deviantart-hot-topic-shirt-art-stolen/

But like taarna23 said that segment of agreement is pretty much what all hosting sites' rules are like, and generally people don't know or mind.
    For example, they -need- to be able to 'edit, change, or otherwise modify' your artwork because how else would they show your pictures as thumbnails on their website, without that disclaimer in place all artwork submitted would actually be text links.
    You can check this out on their FAQ here: https://help.deviantart.com/226/

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
    Orb, Verdelite and taarna23 like this.
  7. Tetsune

Tetsune Professional Procrastinator™ Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Verdelite likes this.
  8. BCj

BCj Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I see. I still find their ToS icky, though.

9. Kyuukon

Kyuukon 主人公 Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Holy sheep. That is nasty!

10. Jomarcenter

Jomarcenter jomarcenter games Veteran

First Language:
    ENGLISH
    This is why TOS should also provide a shortened version of their own TOS even just removed all of the long legal stuff like which court you will end up if you violate it and get sued. I mean TOS violation happened quite often mostly by people didn't read it heck I think some of the RM TOS violation (mostly the use of it's resources) could be cause by not reading the TOS in the first place.

I think there should be a shorter version which This is why I like how they make the TOS in RM Resource pack since it simpler and easier to understand in under 3 minute of reading time.

But there is some site that shortened TOS for you already from volunteer lawyers and people who understand it like tosdr.org and tldrlegal.com tho but It also should be consider as a just a simple information rather than a legal advice. Kinda a bit sad that nobody know those site very well since it something useful just for a simple person who want to sign up to a service quickly but also know their legal rights.