DankRat

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
In the past I've been working on projects but never got around to finish any of them, whether the file gets deleted for whatever reason or I lose motivation, my projects never make it out of the beta stage. So I was considering for my first project, just for the sake of getting something done, I would do something like the original Dragon Quest (which can be beaten in an hour or two). Though before I even consider starting it I've been wondering if any of you took that same route.

Finnuval

World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think most ppl here follow this route :

Start a huge project that never sees the light of day - feel defeated and cry in a corner - restart another too big project - rage quit - take a break from game deving - learn to start small - finish a 1-5hr game

Could be wrong but i doubt it xD

J-G

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My project has been fairly big I believe. I don't plan to quit either. Unless I die before I finish, since I have hard times with my health at times.
Though it depends on everyone's mental state and ability to stay motivated.
To help with motivation, I suggest finding people to get involved with your project and that truly want to complete it. Since they will push you when you feel like stopping and vise versa.
So far my projects game play is about 4 hrs or so for someone new to it. Knowing the game, I say 1:30 hr tops.
So I think, knowing yourself best as to where you stand as far as mental fortitude should depict what kind of project you start.
Though making a game can be stressful if you let it. So start small and see how you do. Then possibly develop the game further afterwards.

Hyouryuu-Na

Currently Inactive
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Bangla/Bengali
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Finnuval I still haven't completed the last two steps XD i.e still taking a break...
@DankRat Don't be like me! Do something small, think it through. See if you can actually finish it :") Then start working on it. If you see in the middle that nah you can't do it... Don't give up.

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Many people want to start big and never finish their first project. I myself fell for that, never finished my first project, just abandonned it. In fact, I abandonned my first 3 projects. The fourth one was completed and small, but I never released it (it was more of a experiment project).

Darkanine

...In my thoughts and in my dreams...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My first game was like...5 minutes long? I made it in 6th grade with a bunch of assets I stole from google images and later battlers I used without credit I found on RPGRPGRevolution. I made a lets play of it back when I was a kid but I'm to scared to see what it's like, lol.

The typical advice is sound. Make something small, get a feel for the engine and your own style as a developer, maybe play some games to get ideas and inspirations and work yourself up to something bigger.

My current projectory has been on-and-off making a relatively ambitious project - nowhere near the typical level of ambition but a fairly standard length RPG with not much fluff but a lot of details - and making a few "short story" games in the meantime which take place in the same universe and following the same ensemble. I got the idea from reading a bunch of Conan the Barbarian stories, which are generally short and don't really need to be read in order but help build a fictional universe not unlike Tolkien's work...only with a lot more violence. My games tend to be pretty lighthearted though.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I myself fell for the trap of over-expectation, but we all are living and learn. It is not like we are guided by a professional. One sad thing from my experience, I work on the RPG Maker MV and during that time is hurricane season. Then, I hear the thunder and the computer is no electric. Please back up your project so you are losing your hard work.
The problem is not starting a big game because we can technically mass generate multiple maps. All can right now push deployment is a finished game. The problem is our expectation that we want it to be complex. We are always updating our knowledge because we learn new things so we want to include in our game. The important thing is to say no; your game is good enough.

@Darkanine, we are scared of what others think of us that why we keep updating our game.:kaocry:

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
While I did dream big, but technically I never actually made anything. My first complete game was an actual game project that is actually shaped as a playable game. Everything else was just a test project that is not playable as a game.

To answer your question though, based on my complete game, it's kinda yes. I planned it to be like 2 hours long to complete the game, but people took longer than I was expecting. Some even stretched into 7 hours, is that short enough? I'm not sure.

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think most ppl here follow this route :

Start a huge project that never sees the light of day - feel defeated and cry in a corner - restart another too big project - rage quit - take a break from game deving - learn to start small - finish a 1-5hr game

Could be wrong but i doubt it xD
My route was:
  • Start a sandbox throwaway game because I know I'm still learning a new engine's ins and outs. My first RPG was on VXA, and it was little more than a cave with visual encounters that moved around the map in various ways (eventing and mapping practice mostly, as well as learning how to navigate and use the RM software)
  • Start what I wanted to be my "big" game, only to realize there's still a lot I didn't know, so I shelved it for later. It still taught me quite a bit, to the point I probably won't use any of the previous work aside from concepts. It could almost be thought of as learner project #2, because many of the things I made were carried over to my current game. (tilesets, battle system design, approach to character skills/spells, etc)
  • Start my current game, which has taken far too long because I just hate mapping.
So to stay on topic, yeah. My first "RPG" was actually just 1 dungeon long and had 1 character. ;)

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Short? Far from it. Players are saying they spent over 70 hours in it.

But to answer your question, mine was far from short. BUT...I'd not recommend you do what I did, as I had to start over like 6 times, and there were weeks I took time off to get around the burnout, and there were moments I seriously considered switching to Harold in the Desert for an RPG instead.

Hyouryuu-Na

Currently Inactive
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Bangla/Bengali
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Idk if it's really an easy thing to 'start small' I mean... if it were easy I wouldn't be sitting here doing this-
20191125_195840.jpg
A new floor to work on~ Lots of events and there will be more~ The probability of lag scares me but for now my plan is just 'do it' and worry about stuff later~

I'm not a newbie but I still should do a one map game first... you know, just so I can actually get the "I completed a game!" achievement.

This is probably my 12th or 13th project (lost count) and by far the one that has troubled me the most. I spent hundreds of hours on this... been at it for a year. It's something I'm proud of though it's nowhere near complete. And Idk if I will live long enough to complete it lol

My first project was on VX ACE Lite... it was crappy. As a 13 year old kid I liked it but I was too stupid to understand the engine. I forgot about rpg maker for the next 4 years. In 2017, I suddenly heard of MV and decided that I was intelligent enough to understand it now. So there it started... it's been 3... almost 4 years and I'm still sooooo faaaar from completion it's like I'm running in a never ending corridor. Anyways... I think its my fault for jumping into a project that would require a team but I prefer to work alone :)

rue669

RueToYou
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My first completed RPG Maker game was on rm2k3 and it was about 5-7 hours long. I think it took me about a year and a half to finish but I was constantly working on it lol. I was sixteen at the time (now 33!).

BK-tdm

Manga Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My first project was on the maker that came out for ps2, not too long and not too deep, but i had fun making your typical final fantasy clone, it was an hour or less tops, but that introduced me to the RPGmaker tools and decided to check it on pc, tried XP and made a few dungeons+visual encounters tests but nothing serious, MV is my actual attempt at making a playable game.

Indinera

Indie Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
No, my first rpg was actually very long. B)

Cythera

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My first game I'm still working on - it's about 18 hours long as it is now(approx. 60% done), though I personally can rush it in 14 since I know the tricks to the bosses, and the shortcuts through maps.
Having taken that route, it would not be my first recommendation. Unless you have a great idea you personally want to see come to life, start small. Learn the engine, learn what you can do without and then with plugins. It saves a LOT of frustration once you have a better idea of how to implement an idea you have.
As I said though, if you have an idea you REALLY want to see, go for it! Make the game you want to play, and make the game as long or as short as it needs to be. Just be aware, starting with a longer game in mind can cause a burn out. You put say 100 hours into a game, discover something new, then want to go back and change everything! It can be draining. I've "made" my game 3 times over before, and had a short break between each version otherwise I knew I'd start to hate it.

Black Pagan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My First RPG was based on a single Map which was 25 x 25. It was a Short RPG about a Party of 3 People (A Samurai Girl, A Brawler and a Sorceress) who teamed up to explore a Map of Japan. I was actually inspired by the "Single Map" World of Mario Bros 3.

I actually drew a somewhat ugly looking map of Japan in a 25 x 25 Map in VX Ace. Now that i think about it, That was such a stupid idea. But back then, It was my first game so i was pretty excited.

I decked the whole map with lots of Objects (Buildings, Forests, Bridges, Towers) and made it so every time player stepped on these objects, They entered either a Mini 10 x 10 Map with Content or Random Battle Encounters. It had like 30 minutes of content, I was pretty happy with it once i got done.

But well, Like all First time games that amateurs make, I was horrified to see so many Bugs and Crashes later on when i test played it, I scrapped the whole game all together because there were too many errors to fix. It was a good learning experience though. I think making "Short Games" is the way to go if you are new !

Last edited:

MetalHunter13

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I've been fiddling with mine on and off for five years. At first I couldn't decide whether it was even going to BE an RPG. Right now I'm alternating between it and a smaller game that uses the same basic mechanics - very, very simple crafting and monster hunting (well, critter hunting in this case) . And they take place in the same universe, the smaller one is set several centuries before.

I've thought about making a small RPG with RTP, but I can't. I just can't. I cannot bring myself to make another #$@!!! medieval-ish fantasy game.

Last edited:

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My first game in RPG Maker is about 2-3 hours in length, but I wouldn't qualify it as an RPG. I don't think I could get myself to make anything that's 10 hours or longer (that isn't padded by grind or something boring). I just got too many other hobbies, and many other game ideas I'd like to realise to stick to a single project for that long.

RetailDrone7576

Reillo9
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My very first game was roughly an hour long, looking back; it was pretty terrible...part of me wishes i still had a copy of it to appreciate how much my skills have improved

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Stream will be live shortly with some Witcher 3! Feel free to drop by!
This forum is a great source of procrastination for me.
Today I read "The mouth speaks what the heart is full of." Simple, and reminds me I have a ton of work to do.
Why are cats so darn cute when their tongues are sticking out? If I did that, it wouldn't have the same effect.
The joy when you see a notification, the down when it's just a unnecessary quote of one of your posts again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PistachioOwl