Ways to add difficulty setting to RPGMAKER MV

carnorantor

Realism's Biggest Hater
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Any ways to add difficulty setting? (ex. Choosing Easy, Medium or Hard)

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Copy and paste map, change monster levels for the different copies of the same map. Make adjustments for which set of maps you start on.

V_Aero

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Copy and paste map, change monster levels for the different copies of the same map. Make adjustments for which set of maps you start on.
I think copy-paste a Map is a bad idea. A better proposal could be, when you use visible encounters, in the events' command list to add a IF FORK which checks what difficulty level is selected, and then depending on its result starts a respective encounter.

An alternative would be to use a Plugin, I came across this one, however I haven't touched it yet. Yanfly Difficulty Slider

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think copy-paste a Map is a bad idea. A better proposal could be, when you use visible encounters, in the events' command list to add a IF FORK which checks what difficulty level is selected, and then depending on its result starts a respective encounter.

An alternative would be to use a Plugin, I came across this one, however I haven't touched it yet. Yanfly Difficulty Slider
If determining a set difficulty at the beginning of a game run, copy-paste + adjust would be the simplest way to go about it imo, so I don't think it should be called a bad idea - just one of the simplest ways to create a difficulty setting for a game.

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'd highly recommend NOT doing it this way because if you have to change something later, your change will need to be done on 3 different maps and in general, its more hassle than its worth.

An easier approach might be something like this:

1. Create some states. Call them Easy, Normal, Hard, Lunatic, whatever and apply some stat modifiers to these states. For example, easy might reduce enemy hp and stats by 50%, while hard might increase enemy hp and stats by 50%. Don't give them icons (unless you're testing to make sure they get applied) so they don't show up on affected foes.
  2. Apply the appropriate state (based on your selected difficulty variable) to all enemies in each troop at the start of every battle, or even every turn.
  3. Plugins like yanfly's buff/state categories can help, because you can set these states to bypass death removal. Otherwise, you'll need to make sure the states are applied again every time an enemy revives, if they do that in your game.
  4. Yanfly's base troop events is very handy for this too, because you won't have to add the event logic for these states to every new troop event you make.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Ami
4 days im not using my laptop to waiting someone to reinstall (sigh)
Stream will be live shortly with some Donkey Kong 64! Feel free to drop by!
Working on a test Boss for the new No Travel Game Jam
- Name Plugin by Moghunter -
Free RPG Maker Ready Charging Up Animation

Enjoy -No Credit Needed But Appreciated -
Download it at https://lvgames.itch.io/free-charging-up-pixel-animation-fx-rpg-maker-ready
:/ .... so, thought I’d go to the park to sit in the cool breeze and get out of the house a little. Nope, guess that’s quarantined too. Ok...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smeinela