Ways to get an enemy AI use a TP only skill more frequently?

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX Ace' started by CWells, Aug 24, 2013.

1. CWells

CWells Storyteller/Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    This is one little thing that's bugging me. I managed to take care of my state problem (YAY) but getting the AI to act right is of course a bit trickier.

I have a skill that does magic damage but only uses TP for the action. It is just 15 TP to cast but the enemy wont use the skill. I did assign it to a skill slot, I did lots of checks. But if the AI continues to ignore it, I'm probably going to have to give it MP just so the AI will register it -_-. But this brings up the concern for other skills, namely physical strikes. Is there any way to get enemy ai to recognize TP based actions without solely relying on force action?

2. NoahJMina

NoahJMina RPG survivalist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    did u actgually give them the ability to use the skill?

3. HumanNinjaToo

HumanNinjaToo The Cheerful Pessimist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I think the enemy AI will only use the top three actions that aren't conditionally specific. So if you assign it four actions (that have no conditions) and prioritize them 1,3,5,7 then it would use 1,3,& 5 but never 7. Now if some actions have a condition to be met before using an action then if that action has a higher priority than the no-condition actions, it should trump them and be usedwhen its condition is met.

Edit: Andar is right. I mixed up my numbers. Sorry for the confusion

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2013
  4. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    enemies automatically use all skills in their attack patterns and don't need any skill type added.

However, the attack patterns have several controls to change the frequency of skill use by conditions and by ratings.

Without knowing how you set up the attack patterns, I can't tell you what to do to increase the frequency, but usually you need a high rating for a skill to be used more often.

However, if you make the rating too high, then you'll remove the probability of different skills to be used.

Basically, if you want a skill to be used under special conditions only, you place the conditions and give it a high rating.

For more details, look at the tooltip for ratings

EDIT:

@HumanNinjaToo:

You mixed up your numbers, 7 is the highest rating and the limit is by rating points, not by values. Iin your example, only the skills with 5 & 7 would be used, never 1 or 3.

5. CWells

First Language:
    English
    Yes Noah, the skill is staring me in the face on the enemy action window.

I'll see if that's the case. If so, I'll make the adjustments needed. And of course, I made a command option for a reason. I'll get around this.

I kept the ratings on the actions pretty tight:

Attack 3

Strong fire 2

Strong flame 2

Dark Winds (problem skill) 3

6. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    No, it isn't see my edit (before you posted this) - in that case, the skill with rating 7 would be used three times as often as the skill with rating 5.

7. CWells

First Language:
    English
    See my edit XD

See, once I removed TP from the skill, the enemy AI casts it! It just isn't recognizing TP for some reason.

It is a magical attack. There is nothing special about it. But once i removed TP from the skill, the enemy casts it.

8. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Do the other skills have a TP-Gain?

Normally an enemy starts without TP, and the AI can't use skills she can't pay for. If the other skills have a high TP-Gain, then the AI should be able to use the TP-skill beginning second or third battle turn.

9. CWells

First Language:
    English
    Yes, attack and guard. I didn't list guard but those skills have tp gain.

And, maybe this matters but I'm using an Enemy AI State script by Mr.Bubble. This way I can control the auto-battle and design my own action patterns.

So the actors are in a state <enemy ai: x>

10. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Please give the link of that script.

The attack patterns are the default AI, and any script that gives a different AI will ignore some or all of those settings...

Without knowing that script, no one can tell you how to program that AI...

Edit:

It might be that it really doesn't matter, because it only affects actors - but I don't know that script...

11. CWells

First Language:
    English
  12. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That shouldn't affect the attack patterns.

OK, another approach: please change the TP cost of the skill to 1 TP and test it again, with the TP-skill having the highest rating (can be much higher, if the cost isn't met it will go to the next lower rating)

Also describe where and how you're testing: ingame or in the editor's battle simulator? I've seen some indications that the editor's simulator doesn't work exactly like the ingame default engine...

13. CWells

First Language:
    English
    I have been using the editor, not walk around and battle. i am using battle test from my troop menu.

I'll do the tp thing in a bit...

Alright, I adjust TP and rating as requested. I then tested this both in the Troop battle tester and directly on the field as a normal battle encounter.

In both methods, Long ignored his dark winds skill even with a TP cost of 1.

So yeah, TP still ignored.

Good thing I made commands. And that MP works >,>

14. Greensburg

Greensburg Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    So the skill works if you just remove the TP cost?

PS: Nevermind, didn't read up there. Sorry. Does it work if it's the only action in the command list? If there are two actions? three?

15. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Do enemies actually have TP? If so, they would build it the same way players do, so if/when it chooses that action from the available list, there may not be enough TP to actually cast it.

16. CWells

First Language:
    English
    Alright guys, I think it is the script. I'll explain:

Shaz, enemies definitely build TP before attacking. I just gave an enemy with two high tp cost hits and one other move called guard  Guard was set with a lower priority  number in the action patterns.

The enemy guarded 4 times in a row.after it had enough TP to use the higher rated skills, the enemy immediately cast these TP ONLY skills.

So it is probably my script which isn't allowing my actors, with enemy AI from using their TP actions.