Wayward's MV Resources (Battlers/Sprites/Tiles) (update 191007: Sprite: Hair Pieces Actor4_8)

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV Resources' started by WaywardMartian, Apr 18, 2019.

1. MMMm

MMMm Veteran Veteran

Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    These are a fantastic resource for anyone who uses tall sprites. Thank you so much for sharing.

2. WaywardMartian

WaywardMartian Is sometimes a giant bee Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks!

This update I decided to do up some premade characters to show off what the Modular sets can do. All resources used either came from the basic generator that comes with MV, sprites that came with MV, or official free DLC so these sprites are all Free For Both Commercial And Non-Commercial Use If You Have MV ( and Wayward Martian Graphics would like a credit. )

[​IMG]

( Dude sheet at some point in the future, just decided to do an all ladies this time. )

3. WaywardMartian

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Just updating Modular Actor2_1 since It only had four variants before. ( I am not sure why my image isn't updating and assume it is some forum data storage thing? Because it's correctly updated on my site and right-clicking for View Image shows the correct sheet. ) Anyway, there are supposed to be eight outfits on there now.

[​IMG]

CoryH and MMMm like this.
  4. WaywardMartian

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    And more with Actor2_2. Basic outfit, full skirt, right symmetrical, left symmetrical, knight, apprentice, battle queen, and magical girl.
    [​IMG]

CoryH and Anyone like this.
  5. Anyone

Anyone Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Lots of really awesome stuff.
    Have you considered making these things work with Schlangan's extended generator?
    That way your modular parts could be used easily & quickly with little effort.
    If you're using Photoshop, I could probably help build converter action scripts that allow you to convert the default stuff (hair, etc.) into the right size & format.

Quick test by me: (Body only, though the hair can be adapted quickly via action script once I've made one)
    WWM body.png
    (The size dimensions are different, though. I rescaled it to 1164x776 for more space to the sides so the character can carry a spear & a shield for example, including an outstretched spear, plus the possibility of using poses in a unified format. There's also the added photoshop benefit that 97x97 yields an easy grid with a central line for the character's central nose-naval line.)

Yil compare.png
    I've slimmed down the default head by 1 pixel on either side, reducing the chubbyness.
    Also added two versions, one with clearer nose & one with nose+mouth.
    I really like the result. The slimmer head combined with the excellent body gives a much more mature look. Ignore the blank pixels at her shoulder though, forgot to extend the neckline to fix the resulting smaller neck.

In case you want to check the size dimensions ingame:
    Yilena ingame.png

Overall I'm really digging the style and would love to see more.

EDIT: Justed tested it. I can batch convert every single Hairstyle & the mask files at once to the new dimensions and place them in the correct spots automatically. Just did all female styles just for testing in ~15 seconds.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  6. WaywardMartian

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I sometimes think a generator would be a good idea and then I remember how picky I am about stuff overlapping properly and also about how I'm constantly fixing and changing things. I haven't played with the Extended Generator though, so I'm not sure how that one works or what would be needed to plug my own sprites into it. If you've got the urge to make a generator with them to make it easier for people who want this type of tall sprite, you've got my blessing. Would you need the colour masks like the built-in MV generator has? I could whip those up easy enough.

( Part of the joke is that for my own projects, I've been using Tonbi's heads - which are a bit smaller than the default - and resizing the hair myself. But I post the default-sized head here specifically to fit the official DF sprites. )

Anyone likes this.
  7. Anyone

Anyone Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The extended generator is actually pretty good in that regard. You can adjust the positioning of every object, unlike in the original generator, pixelline by pixelline. It also allows multiple selection in any one category. So in theory, you can mix multiple bodies & other things together.
    That's actually surprisingly useful. For example, I'm going to behead your poor beautiful sprites and seperate the body into two parts: head and body. Now both can be exchanged - with other headtypes or body types.

I'm currently creating a template in the generator for it. Once it's finished, it can be shared easily. If you're interested, I can give you the details of how to put your own sprites into it - you might want to wait until the base is finished, though. There are a couple of pitfalls that I've gotten past, but it can be initially a bit frustrating to figure out.

That would be very helpful. I've already created the color masks for the body, but if you could make one for the armor sprites so the colors can be exchanged, that'd be very helpful. You don't have to worry about formatting or pixelsize or placement of the stuff though. You can just use your 8 character sheets with your current size and just make them into the masks. I'll just make a quick script that'll split it into 8 parts, resize the sheets, reposition the stuff etc. and that'll be done automatically. I'm lazy like that.

Huh. Maybe I should check that out and see what the measurements are. Might save me some work.
    The Slim head you see above is actually not done by me. I'm not even close to being a sprite artist, so I'm handling that via automation. I'm using a script that slims the head on click by 1 pixel on either side at places where they're not usually missed. (You might find irregularities though, it ideally should always be touched up at the end, since I'm selectively cutting two lines out rather than transforming it or resizing it - to preserve more detail.)
    Do you have a certain pattern of how you resize the hair or do you just redraw it by hand?
    I'm doing the hair with the same script as the head: instant result on a click on all 8 characters on all 12 slots per character - but as you can guess, such brute force methods do leave small details behind that need to be improved afterwards. Sigh. I'm still looking for the perfect method for a one-click script, but I'm not sure I'll ever find it.

As for the generator: I've resized&repositioned all accessories for male & female and am currently in the process of loading them into the generator. I'm gonna go to bed soon, but I'll expect I can finish that in the next 1-2 days. (I'm planning lots of breaks, loading things into the generator is fast but...tedious. You can only do the same routine so often until you need to do something else.)

8. WaywardMartian

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Ha ha. That does sound useful.

Cool. I'll put those together for you for the sheets I've already completed but it'll probably take a few days.

The ones I use are slightly altered from Tonbi's ( I wanted the back of the head to be rounder and I added a bit of neck to fit my bodies ) which fits with his TOS ( "You can retouch this materials for use. and distribute with credit [to Tonbi and Kadokawa]" ) but, yeah, if you like the sizes, I'd double-check with him to make sure he's cool with it.

I have a system I follow but it's probably not a pattern a computer could easily duplicate since there's Photoshop touch-ups involved to get it tidy. I'll put together a sort of tutorial to show you how I do it and you can decide for yourself if it's workable. I'll toss it in the zip folder with the colour masks and PM you a link when I'm done.

9. Anyone

Anyone Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Looking forward to it! You can also send them to me sheet by sheet instead of at once - that way I can get started sooner.

Mhm. Could you throw me a PM with a sample image/link? I'm interested to see what it looks like and what the dimensions are. If certain dimensions are identical, I could make it so multiple heads can be used interchangeably. But yeah, if I want to include it in the generator, I'll be sure to check with Tonbi first.

That'd be really great. I'm doing a lot of work with retouching right now in developing automatic photoshop scrips for devs, but it all comes from an absolute amateur point of view. I have no idea how an experienced spriter would go about doing stuff like that.

10. WaywardMartian

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    New stuff. Just a bunch of helmets:

[​IMG]

I also did a couple fixes to Actor2_2 - I wanted better boots for #5 and needed to fix the sleeves on #8.
    [​IMG]

CoryH, JiM83, Anyone and 1 other person like this.
  11. WaywardMartian

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    More. Finally happy with Actor4_2.

[​IMG]

Anyone, GalacticGod and CoryH like this.
  12. GalacticGod

GalacticGod Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Really incredible work. Love all the resources you have provided!

13. WaywardMartian

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you! ^_^

Back at it with Actor4_4 and a selection of crowns. As usual, the first outfit on the Actor4_4 sheet is the basic one that the official character wears, the rest are variations.

[​IMG]

Crowns are Actor4_8, Actor4_4, Actor3_1, Actor3_2, and People3_1-4.

[​IMG]

14. WaywardMartian

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Onward. Got inspired to fill out People3_6's sheet and ended up doing the SF Actor males as well because I needed some of their pieces.

People3_6 updated:
    [​IMG]

And the SF dudes:
    [​IMG]

Anyone, GalacticGod and CoryH like this.
  15. Alkorri

Alkorri Proofreading Penguin Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Phenomenal work! And I really needed those tiaras, thanks ^^

16. Finnuval

Finnuval World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Nice work! And very useful :D

MMMm likes this.
  17. WaywardMartian

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I have updated Actor2_3 and People3_8 for a minor issue that I am so annoyed I didn't catch before ( just a symmetry issue, but I am a fuss. )

And new stuff, got the urge to work on Actor4_7. I'll end up separating his spooky hood and crown for accessories later, but here's the outfit sheet: His basic outfit is that top left one, then three armour variants, and four caster-class outfits for all your necromancy needs.
    [​IMG]

18. WaywardMartian

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Not much today, just doing a minor fix to Actor_SF7, who was missing his bracelet on two of his right-facing sprites on the official stuff. ( I've also re-uploaded the SF Actors male outfits to reflect this. )

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  19. Janus3003

Janus3003 Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks so much for making these. I really dislike the default chibi style, and this works much better for my project.
    I've redone my main characters already:
    [​IMG]
    I think it's worth the change.

MMMm and BadLittleSeed like this.
  20. WaywardMartian

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Nice! Good work on those costumes. ^_^

MMMm and Janus3003 like this.