Weapon-based Skills: Making them more that just stronger than the other

Discussion in 'Game Mechanics Design' started by BloodletterQ, Feb 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. BloodletterQ

BloodletterQ Chaotic Neutral Assassin Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    For those that are using skills gained from weapons, what are your takes on making them have their own uses rather than the next tier being more powerful than the next but still functionally the same?

2. Crimson Dragon Inc.

Crimson Dragon Inc. Crimson Dragon Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    depends on the weapon type..... for instance.... sword tech i generally make either single target, strike all, multi hit, single hit, or give the user a randomized assortment

axes on the other hand i make mega moves with elemental effects so as to give some more then just attack....

3. Lowell

Lowell The Walking Atelier Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Try thinking outside the box instead of just damage, Cutting attacks can rend the flesh off the target, bash attacks would break bones, etc.

Riff and Oddball like this.
  4. Crimson Dragon Inc.

Crimson Dragon Inc. Crimson Dragon Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    yes in games with great graphics.... but we are talking about RPG Maker here.... so yea gonna be hard to make that happen....

5. Uzuki

Uzuki Kawaii on the streets, Senpai in the sheets Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That's what I'm working on my project right now. So far the weapons have minimal stat boosts and different effects from each other. For example, I have the Saber and Rapier both in the sword catagory. Sabers deliver slashing damage and allow for multiple attacks and gives skills that focus on that. Rapiers are slightly weaker single thrust attacks, but ignore defenses and gives skills that focus either on increasing evasion or aggroing parry/counter attacks. It's all about finding different styles you can make for your weapons and expanding upon that.

6. Tai_MT

Tai_MT Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've been having some "issues" with this as well, but I think mine are a bit more complicated.  As a player progresses through my game, they are given options to level up existing spells (two options each time, until the spell hits level 4... which means there are four final options for each spell, depending on what the player prefers).

I have a character that uses "Magic Blade", which is essentially imbuing magical attacks to weaponry.  These come in the form of "Blade", "Spear", and "Strike".  Blade applies to swords, spear applies to spears, strike applies to great axes.  In general, I have two means of leveling up each of these skills, but have been trying to find unique ways to deal with it.  The first way is usually "Versatility" and the second way is usually "Elemental Damage".  Versatility grants a second option of a weapon to be used with the skill (so instead of each weapon only allowing use of 3 skills, each one could let you use 6 of the 9 available).  Elemental Damage just usually rolls more damage onto the target of an elemental variety.  Versatility also does things like give weaknesses to elements.

My own problem simply stems from not knowing what I really want to do with these skills that makes them different from my Elementalist.  Aside from, you know, needing a weapon to be equipped to cast the spells.  I had even considered letting my weapon attacks be "multi-hit", but less damage, than my elementalist.  But, most of what I'm doing makes the skills interchangeable with each other aside from the element swap.  Maybe conferring specific weaknesses that pertain to the elements being cast as well as weapon being used?  Like, say, the spear moves bypassing all defense?

Honestly, I have less trouble coming up with my other skill abilities for my scythes and bows.  Elemental weapon skills are difficult.

7. ashm

ashm Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesia
    Utility.

Giving buff, passive, collecting (to store it in) variable, In map event or elemental effect.

8. Lowell

Lowell The Walking Atelier Veteran

First Language:
    English
    A skill doesn't need to have some flashy animation just to convey the skills effect, the things I mentioned could easily be implemented as a DoT, a Skill Type Seal, or even an Attack Debuff.

Taking pokemon as an example, a lot of the skills have a secondary effect which could be an ailment, debuff, or even a counter attack whose damage is boosted when the action goes last. As far the weapons skills, you could research a bit on how they were wielded and build skills around that concept. You could also build it around the games setting, with a Fire Sword either dealing fire damage by default, or having a skill with Fire Damage added to it via features, assuming this is commonplace in your game.

Overall when designing the skills, you should first take into consideration the weapons design and then the settings design, building around these things.

9. Wavelength

Wavelength Pre-Merge Boot Moderator

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    In one game that I started designing (but eventually put on hiatus), I did something sort of different with my weapon-based skills, where these skills required "Chain Points" (CP).  CP would be built up during a battle by using basic attacks or other weapon skills - one point most of the time; more if you landed a Crit or hit a Weakness.  Some weapon skills (known as "finishers") were on par in power or utility with extremely expensive magic, but required 3-5 CP and would consume all of your CP.

This probably isn't the ideal solution for all games, but I think if you're trying to differentiate one set of skills from another, having this kind of "parallel resource" system is a good way to make them feel very different.

One other thing you could do is to reserve a specific type of utility for each class of weapon skills - for example, maybe several sword-based weapon skills apply a Guard state to the user while attacking a foe, and no other weapon skills or magic in the game has this kind of effect, or several hammer-based weapon skills "knock down" a foe which makes them take higher damage from other allies' attacks for the rest of the turn.

10. PsychicToaster

PsychicToaster Best Clairvoyant Appliance 2018 Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I take the simplest approach:I don't make skills that are just functionally better versions of another skill. Every skill has a single iteration that scales up with player attributes and their effects are unique to that skill, with some minor overlaps on a few(like a bleeding effect on two different attacks). Every skill will be useful from the moment it is learned through the end of the game by scaling it.

I've also found that not making 3 or 4 different spellcaster classes really helps narrow down the repetition. My project has a grand total of one, with a second in the works that is significantly different than the other. The player will come to understand why this is though as he or she plays through the game, because it all ties in with the rich lore of the world. 

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2016