Weapon customisation or Accessories?

Centipede

No wait, that's the King.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Baby talk
Primarily Uses
Along with the usual armourers and weapons dealers, I've thought about an artificer shop who can mod your gear. But I'm stuck about which way to go. I've got two options: 

1) He takes your weapon and turns it into something more powerful. The menu might look a bit like this:

Customise > Sword > Flamesword $889

Serrated Blade $334

Vampiric Tulwar $457

Shield > Mirror Shield $556

Spike Shield $445

OR

2) He sells you wearable items for your Accessory slots that only have an effect when the required weapon is equipped. For example, with a Fire Hilt equipped, the player inflicts burning ONLY when he uses a sword.

Going with Method 1 will free up accessory slots for other things, but customised weapons will eventually fall out of favour as soon as you get something more powerful (while a magic hilt will work on any grade of sword).

Right now, I'm stumped. Which Artificer method should I go with?

Alexander Amnell

Jaded Optimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I really like the sound of the second one. Like you said with it you're upgrades will work better, there's few things worse than buying that new expensive fancy sword and finding a better one ten minutes later... it's a real letdown. You could even keep accessories if you wanted you'd just need a script like Yanfly's equip engine that allows custom equip slots.

CWells

Storyteller/Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Going the first method might require loads of items and planing if you set it up so that items are required for the customization. And you would have to create several different versions of a blade so that when the weapon is enhanced, you can switch out in an event the old item with the upgraded version. The second method might require something to check to see if that weapon is equipped. If I plan on having an accessory that wants me to add some kind of skill to my sword, I have to make events that will check the accessory so that it changes the effects of my weapon in battle. That can be pretty difficult to do unless you got some good scripts going for you.

"Going with Method 1 will free up accessory slots for other things, but customised weapons will eventually fall out of favour as soon as you get something more powerful (while a magic hilt will work on any grade of sword)."
Unless of course you take your time to plan out each customized effects and ensure that these effects on the weapons can prove to be useful for a lengthy period of time.

Centipede

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Baby talk
Primarily Uses
I really like the sound of the second one. Like you said with it you're upgrades will work better, there's few things worse than buying that new expensive fancy sword and finding a better one ten minutes later... it's a real letdown. You could even keep accessories if you wanted you'd just need a script like Yanfly's equip engine that allows custom equip slots.
That's the funny thing about the equip engine: it gives you extra equip slots but also two new ones "cloak" and "necklace" which you can't select for when you are making an equippable item.

Sure, I could just change them both to "Accessory", but if I can do that, I really should create a slot exclusively for weapon mods while leaving the accessory slots open for other things. But the problem is that when I'm making new armour gear, it never goes beyond head, armour, shield, accessory. So, unless I missed something in the description, I think the new Necklace and Cloak slots are pretty damn useless.

Did I miss something?

Centipede

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Baby talk
Primarily Uses
Going the first method might require loads of items and planing if you set it up so that items are required for the customization. And you would have to create several different versions of a blade so that when the weapon is enhanced, you can switch out in an event the old item with the upgraded version. The second method might require something to check to see if that weapon is equipped. If I plan on having an accessory that wants me to add some kind of skill to my sword, I have to make events that will check the accessory so that it changes the effects of my weapon in battle. That can be pretty difficult to do unless you got some good scripts going for you.

Unless of course you take your time to plan out each customized effects and ensure that these effects on the weapons can prove to be useful for a lengthy period of time.
I'm going to be doing this anyway. Instead of buying new armour then selling the old, the Armourer will be upgrading what the party wears.

It'd be the same with weapons.

And if I were to keep the purchasing of weapons, it will mean the player can buy multiple weapons for multiple modifications (otherwise, the party will start with what weapons they can use and nothing more).

Hmm.

Chaos Avian

Abyssal Wing
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
If you add the relevant notetags in the armour section, it will automatically become the "Necklace" or "Cloak" slot in game. The notetag pretty much makes it necklace/cloak in the database.

In any case, I prefer option 2, it allows for easier customization without having to lavish on money to buy different weapons and other things. Plus different combinations are always fun~

Centipede

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Baby talk
Primarily Uses
I've decided on a third option: the modded weapons will be for sale immediately, making sure that you can only buy ONE per kind.

(Look at me. I'm necromancing my own thread.)

Now, how do I close this?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

My old project is now a sitcom
How to do implementation the social politcal mechanics in rpg maker? Thank you for quick spark of ideas. Fear of going to the thread lol.
MerlinCross wrote on Switz's profile.
Not sure if you'll see this but I stumbled across your "Open Locker" sprite in a topic. Could I use those?
topic in question
Going to watch an episode of The Office and eat something after this little progress!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
U2M