Weapon Notetag to use Animation ID

Discussion in 'Learning Javascript' started by LawrenceindaSky, Nov 11, 2018.

1. LawrenceindaSky

LawrenceindaSky Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    So my game has a huge bug that I can't fix, so to fix this I'm learning JavaScript to make my Weapons call an Animation ID rather than the drop down box due to that not working anymore, even with plugins Disabled.
    So I tried to find some plugins that call the Weapon Note Tags and try to make it call an animation ID but I don't even know how to begin with JavaScripting :p Basically use <Animation: x> to call that said Animation. If anyone can help me with this it'll be greatly appreciated!

2. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You are better off fixing the huge bug that you can't fix. Maybe if you explain what it is - what's happening, what should be happening - and what you've done to try to fix it, we can help you with that.

It's never a good idea to apply workarounds to overcome bugs that shouldn't be there in the first place.

3. LawrenceindaSky

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Well what's happening is my weapon animations will not show. Skills and Enemies use animations but regardless with a weapon equipped or not, it only shows the default animation, even if I disable and delete all plugins. I temporarily fixed it last night by manually dragging files to a new game, but the moment I started my computer this morning, the same thing happened. So something is breaking my files, so for a fix I'd rather just have a plugin to do that said thing.

4. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If things revert, what's to say we don't go to the trouble of helping you with this, only to have the same thing happen? If THIS reverts, what's to say something else isn't also reverting, or going to revert, down the track? As I said - you are better off finding out what's causing the problem in the first place, and fixing it. Because you don't know how big the problem could become. And you don't want to be plastering band-aids all over your project every time something happens that you can't explain.

Where are your files stored? If you have your project in any folder that syncs with an online source (dropbox, cloud, steam), they are known to damage your files. If you have your project in any folder created by Windows, including My Documents (which it's not supposed to touch), Windows Update is known to alter those as well.

How do you have weapon animations set up? Is it purely RTP or do you have plugins that change them?

5. LawrenceindaSky

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Ill try to store my game in a different folder, I luckily made a backup in a flash drive and I don't think GameJoltAPI would break it, but if it breaks again I'll try removing that. If I no longer respond then it works! And I'll be very grateful for this. As for RTP, I got the Steam version of MV so I don't think I use an RTP?

6. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    RTP is using the resources built into the engine. No matter where you got it, you have RTP. I'm asking are you using the Weapons sheets in the System folder and the weapon types to determine what animation should play, or do you have something else set up that overrides it?

If moving your project to a different location solves the issue, just report your post and say so, and the mods will close the thread :)

7. The A-ster

The A-ster Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I am trying to help him on this same thing. As for your last part, Shaz, where you ask if he has a plugin that interferes, he has already said that it still persists when his plugins are all disabled. And Larry, RTP is essentially when you first install the game over steam or from the website itself. Pretty much, the database itself is RTP. At least, I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong. XD

8. LawrenceindaSky

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Ah okay, and basically using that, yeah. But I can agree with Windows messing up some stuff when restarting a computer, nowadays it's broken so storing it at my desktop is probably a better option.

Edit: Okay so, a response to changing the location for my game, the backup works, and moving my current files to my backup seemed to work, but I'm not saying it's solved just yet, I'll wait till the morning to see if my issue was resolved. But I have high hopes for this. Also, how does Windows only affect my Weapon animations and not my skills or enemies? That's the only question that I have at this point. xD

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2018
  9. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I honestly don't know. I had my project in My Documents in Ace, and it kept reverting my Scripts.rvdata2 to older versions.

Give it a few days and see how things go. Also, if you have multiple versions of your game, make sure you're opening the same/newest version each time, and that it's not opening an older version sometimes (might happen if you launch MV from its link and it auto-opens a project).

10. LawrenceindaSky

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I always remove copies unless it's an old Alpha :p I like to keep some old stuff to remind me of how far I go with a game. Quite satisfying actually. But I'll be sure to update here after a while to see if my issue is fixed. When I used to RPG Make I stored them on my Desktop usually and no issues, so I thought My Documents was a safe place so I'll never loose them, if this is the issue, then I'll never trust that folder again. :p

11. slimmmeiske2

slimmmeiske2 Little Red Riding Hood Moderator

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP

LawrenceindaSky, please avoid double posting, as it is against the forum rules. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

I've merged your posts this time, but in the future please use the 'Edit' button to add to your last post.

12. LawrenceindaSky

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Oh whoops, sorry, I didn’t realize I did that. I’ll be sure to avoid that from here on out. I’m still new on here :p

13. LawrenceindaSky

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    It's Fixed! After a few days of shutting down my PC properly, the issue was the location of the saved game. Changing that location to my Desktop instead of My Documents fixed everything! Thank you so much!

14. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Just report your post and let the mods know the issue is resolved, and they'll lock the thread for you.

Also, if you plan to share the game with other people, making save files go to the desktop is probably a bad idea. Making them go to the same folder as the game is also a bad idea, as they usually get installed into Program Files, which has all sorts of permission restrictions (ie - player may not be able to save)