RMVXA Weapon Side-Quest Idea

Dunkle_G

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Been working on a small RPG project, and had an idea for some side quests to implement. Basically there's a shopkeeper that sells pretty terrible swords that have low stats. Some of them would also give the wielder 1 extra skill while it's equipped. Each sword has 1 side quest attached to it, all of them involving combat. You would have to beat a certain number of enemies with either the skill the sword gives you or just attacking the enemy normally. After completing the quest, you'd get a great item in return. Upon completing each quest, 10 in total, you'd be able to buy the best sword in the whole game. Along with that, you'd only be able to buy 1 sword at a time, and would only be able to buy another one after beating the side quest. Also, each time you access a new world, 5 in total, 2 new swords will be added to the shopkeepers list.
Do you all think this system could work? And if so, how could I put it into my game?

(If I need to move this somewhere else or give more details, let me know. Still new to the forums so yeah.)

h0tWalker

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Are these weapons gonna be the only available weapons in the game?

If yes, you should really make it appealing to choose said sword over the other selection. The first weapon should be somewhat pushed onto the player, guiding them through the first one, while giving some lore to catch their interest.

An example could be where you enter a blacksmith. A NPC is talking to the smith, who presents an enchanted sword. While weak in nature, it contains a mana shard that can increase its power. As magic goes, these swords don’t choose just about anyone, but that doesn’t mean they only choose one. The NPC picks up the sword, but feels nothing, throws it at the counter and leaves, calling it blasphemy. You walk up, curious about this sword. Picking it up, you see flashes, showing memories of a fallen soldier stuck in time. You get a quest to kill the foe who put an end to his family, hidden in the deepest part of the Dark Forest. While you don’t get a direct view of your foe, you can leave a hint in the memory fragments. The sword grants you the ability to use “Shield”, an ability that will help you overcome your challenge (not said out directly).

Once the foe has been defeated, the sword flashes, and the memories leave the sword, unleashing its true potential as it no longer occupied by the memory fragments. While this isn’t told to the character, he reacts to the light by thinking. “Whats this light…?”, “I should go talk to the smith regarding this, he certainly seemed to know a thing or two about this.”

The idea is that you have to guide your player through the first one to some extent, and reward them for it. If there is other weapons in the game with better stats, they will probably ignore the side quest unless you guide them and make it worthwhile.

Dunkle_G

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Are these weapons gonna be the only available weapons in the game?

If yes, you should really make it appealing to choose said sword over the other selection. The first weapon should be somewhat pushed onto the player, guiding them through the first one, while giving some lore to catch their interest.

An example could be where you enter a blacksmith. A NPC is talking to the smith, who presents an enchanted sword. While weak in nature, it contains a mana shard that can increase its power. As magic goes, these swords don’t choose just about anyone, but that doesn’t mean they only choose one. The NPC picks up the sword, but feels nothing, throws it at the counter and leaves, calling it blasphemy. You walk up, curious about this sword. Picking it up, you see flashes, showing memories of a fallen soldier stuck in time. You get a quest to kill the foe who put an end to his family, hidden in the deepest part of the Dark Forest. While you don’t get a direct view of your foe, you can leave a hint in the memory fragments. The sword grants you the ability to use “Shield”, an ability that will help you overcome your challenge (not said out directly).

Once the foe has been defeated, the sword flashes, and the memories leave the sword, unleashing its true potential as it no longer occupied by the memory fragments. While this isn’t told to the character, he reacts to the light by thinking. “Whats this light…?”, “I should go talk to the smith regarding this, he certainly seemed to know a thing or two about this.”

The idea is that you have to guide your player through the first one to some extent, and reward them for it. If there is other weapons in the game with better stats, they will probably ignore the side quest unless you guide them and make it worthwhile.
These swords won't be the only weapons in the game. They would be completely optional, in fact. That said you're absolutely right about what you said. The plan was to give the player one of the swords for free, then giving a bit of exposition before they carry out the quest. The idea I thought up was that the reason the sword seller couldn't make any good weapons was that he had no means of testing them, and couldn't fight monsters himself. So he trusts the player with gathering the data for him instead in order for his skills to improve.

h0tWalker

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I like the idea of the dynamic between the seller and character, making him/her more important than a simple merchant. That combined with the idea so far, will definitely work. It's a system that rewards exploration, which is a smart design choice. Add in the lore part, and build the interaction/ friendship between the two, and you'll make the player feel a stronger connection to the seller, making them want to return more often.

I think that you got a pretty good idea going and that it'll work. You've thought it well through, and it generally comes down to implementation, which you seem to have planned out well :)

Dunkle_G

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I like the idea of the dynamic between the seller and character, making him/her more important than a simple merchant. That combined with the idea so far, will definitely work. It's a system that rewards exploration, which is a smart design choice. Add in the lore part, and build the interaction/ friendship between the two, and you'll make the player feel a stronger connection to the seller, making them want to return more often.

I think that you got a pretty good idea going and that it'll work. You've thought it well through, and it generally comes down to implementation, which you seem to have planned out well :)
That's great to hear. I thought the idea would be too tedious or something, but based on what you've said I guess it's the opposite lol.
The only thing that's stumping me now is how to make the sidequests in the 1st place. Still fresh when it comes to RPG Maker and all.
Do you know how I could set the sidequests up, or where on the forums I can ask for help on this?

h0tWalker

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
You could use plug-ins to set up a quest log, making it easier to track for the player. I never really used VX Ace, but I'm sure it's out there. Then it generally comes down to the script. It could easily be evented, and it probably will be. But depending on the script, it might be eventing switches, variables or just require a script call in it. I think its a nice addition as its easier to keep track of.

If it's used without plug-ins, you can use a key item, say a note, to keep track of progress as well as explain the quest. Though it would probably be a little more tedious to access for players in the long run. I'd look through the Javascript section and see if anyone has created it, request it, or sometimes, google might even hold the answers :D

Dunkle_G

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
You could use plug-ins to set up a quest log, making it easier to track for the player. I never really used VX Ace, but I'm sure it's out there. Then it generally comes down to the script. It could easily be evented, and it probably will be. But depending on the script, it might be eventing switches, variables or just require a script call in it. I think its a nice addition as its easier to keep track of.

If it's used without plug-ins, you can use a key item, say a note, to keep track of progress as well as explain the quest. Though it would probably be a little more tedious to access for players in the long run. I'd look through the Javascript section and see if anyone has created it, request it, or sometimes, google might even hold the answers :D
Right, I'm sure I can find something on google eventually. If not I'll just ask on the vx ace script forums for help finding the right script or something. Really appreciate your help!

Uruuha

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
The Concept seems complicated, Since you branch off multiple times and the Player must be made to understand this. Imagine a Player who starts out and has no clue about all this ! What if they never visit the Shop keeper ever again after their First buy ? That would defeat the whole purpose of the side quest. So, I think you need to link all this with some kind of Dialogues, Story and Lore.

So I see nothing wrong with the idea except its Major flaw would be the way you implement it and make the Player understand it. Here is something I would do - "A Long time ago, There lived a Master Blacksmith who gave up making swords and lives a Secret life. Rumor has it, He worked on 10 crazy swords which looked similar to each other called "Ten Great Swords of XYZ". A Lore like this to start off with would be immensely useful to make things easier for your side quest.

I like the idea, However I feel the hardest part would be - Letting the Player know what they need to do to complete the side quest. You need to constantly push the Player into knowing what they are doing on ever little step and every single detail. And even then, Don't be surprised if 9 out of 10 Players never complete your side quest..

h0tWalker

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Uruuha thats what was primarily discussed in the thread. That it has to be introduced when first entering the store, and guiding the player through the first weapon, and then leaving the player the choice to do the rest, unknowing that upon completing the last weapon, he gets the best in the game.

Implementation and concept has been drafted as it should, and if 9 out of 10 players don't do it, that fine. It's an option, not a must. Especially as some players don't wanna do side quests.

Dunkle_G

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Uruuha thats what was primarily discussed in the thread. That it has to be introduced when first entering the store, and guiding the player through the first weapon, and then leaving the player the choice to do the rest, unknowing that upon completing the last weapon, he gets the best in the game.

Implementation and concept has been drafted as it should, and if 9 out of 10 players don't do it, that fine. It's an option, not a must. Especially as some players don't wanna do side quests.
This ^^

Also I actually did some digging trying to get together a quest system for this idea, but I'm pretty sure my idea was too specific since all the quest system and quest logs scripts that I found were either too confusing or weren't specific enough.
Still wanted to implement this in some way though, so I did some more digging and found a really good script for a crafting system. So instead of you testing the weapons the smith gives you, you help the smith by collecting the parts they need for the weapons or armor. To introduce this, I planned to have 2 tutorial battles at the start of the game, and these would give you some ingredients. Later, you'll meet the smith while gathering information on how to break into a dungeon. He'll explain that his store or whatever is closed because even though he has the skills to make the equipment, the ingredients all come from monsters, and he's terrible at fighting. However, he then sees you have the ingredients, and thus asks you to hand them over so he can make something free of charge for you. He does and you get say, a sword.
The smith then explains to the party that in return for them gathering the materials for the equipment he needs, he will grant you the items he makes either for free or for a discount, though preferably the latter. I'm trying to figure out how to make crafting things cost a little bit of money, but I don't think it's possible with the crafting system I'm using.
The smith then asks why the player has the materials, and you explain the situation to him. He then directs you to an underground path that leads directly into the dungeon you're trying to break into. He knows it leads to said dungeon because that's the path he took to escape from it when he used to be trapped in there.
Along with gathering materials, you can also obtain recipe books found in chests that contain the recipe's for more equipment to be made by the smith. And at the end of the game, you're given a side quest to obtain the last recipe book, found in the last dungeon. You're given the location and have to fight a mini boss to obtain the book. This book includes the recipe for the best weapon(s) in the game, though they are much more expensive than the rest obviously.
You'd get materials from enemies, and if you encounter a rare enemy and defeat it, you'll obtain a special material, which are required for a few recipes and especially the last recipes that give you the best weapons.
How about it, does it sound good?

h0tWalker

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Sounds good. If your uncertain on how to craft it, then it can just be a requirement of items in the players inventory. Once the event has looked that all is in order, remove it, and instead of crafting it through the crafting menu, the smith does the job. If you still want the player to do the actual crafting however, then have said recipes only viable while in the smith. I'm also sure it's possible to tweak the crafting system around to consume currency as well, but it either comes down to the plug-in options, or slight modifications. That however, is something I'm not good at :(

But it sounds like you've given it a lot of thought, and I'd love to see what you make out of it. Either of the two concepts sounds good, so don't worry about that! :)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I wrote RPGMakerMZ JavaScript reference in Japanese.
But I think you'll be able to read it through the translator.

back in April of 2019, I watched my friend's art stream on twitch. that was when I got inspired to draw most of the assets for my game. it's been a LONG journey since, but totally worth it.
RPG MZ multiplayer in development
Square-Enix, why you didn't released the classic Dragon Quests on Steam yet? :kaocry:
This is by far my most favorite boss monster I've made, its name is Gosck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twigsmcsquids